2 Channel H Gig/Tone Report...

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
Okay, so I gigged the 2 Channel H amp last night. (Which is why I am not at the Experience, BTW!)

photo-1.JPG

photo-3.JPG

Fricking AWESOME amp!! I am still figuring it out, but even in not really knowing all the sweet spots for the tones I look for, I must say it blew me away! It is now my favorite gigging amp. (The "Earth" PS Cu24 Stoptail did not exactly suck either, but that is a different report!)

Let me start by saying the ergonomics of the rig I spec'ed is amazing. I went for the Head and a 4x10 cab, great combination. I struggle with a bad back at times, and with a amp at 33 pounds, and the 4x10 at a featherweight 39 pounds, what a joy to carry versus a beefy 1x12 combo or a 2x12 cab. This gig was at Maxwell's in Downtown Ottawa Ontario, and the venue is on the second floor with load-in being up a tight stairway in the back through the kitchen, this lightweight rig was a treat in that tough environment! Also I have ditched my larger PedalTrain with a delay and a Wah (both rarely used) and went to a Pedal Train Nano with just tuner, Overdrive and Clean Boost, now everything fits in one duffle, so one bag, head, cab and guitar, easy in and out and set-up and tear down, very cool!

Our former guitarist was there (also a PRS fan, his main guitar is a purple Cu22), joined us for a few songs, he was very impressed with (1) the cool looks with the Maple panels, (2) the light weight of the cab (he also struggles with a bad back, and carries around a behemoth Line6/Bogner 2x12 Combo), and (3) the versatility of the tones I was getting, both on the lead and clean channels.

I love how it turned out visually, looks fantastic IMO, without going over the top!

IMG_3266.JPG

It looks kind of cool on stage, like the Maple is on fire or something.

BTW, please excuse the pink and white streamers! The Bar had a private party in that room prior to our gig. At the end of the night the balloons lost their lift and kept falling on the drummer while he was playing, the strings got tangled on a drumstick for one song, it was hilarious! LOL :D

After I took the second pic above (in case you are looking at the knob locations), I rolled the gain on the lead channel back to about 12 o'clock. This allowed me to get a nice thick crunchy rhythm tone, which I could roll off on the guitar volume and get cleaner, and also add the clean boost (EP Booster) at 9-10 o'clock to really beef it up. When I wanted higher gain for solos or better cutting through the mix with riffs, I had the clean boost off and the handwired Tube Screamer on. Sounded great, but as close as I was to the amp and cab, I had to be careful re feedback at that setting. I was really impressed with the crunch and heavier gain tones I was getting!! Thick, organic, clear, all the good things you look for!

With the open-back 4x10, versus a closed-back 2X12, sure I probably lose some tightness on the bottom end, but we are not playing metal, we do classic rock covers, so for my needs it does great! I like the 4x12 stack look it has, and the taller profile allows the stage sound to be clearer for me without having to use an amp stand. And my back thanks me every time I transport it! ;)

On the clean side, it was great to be able to just switch channels and get a sparkly chimey clean tone. I use that for things like "American Girl", Foo's "Learn to Fly", and background rhythm on "Tightrope". Great clean tones!

I know people have compared in the past the C and the H and many have liked the C better. Many people have said that the latest and greatest H is way better than the original, including Doug, apparently. I had a C, it was good, and I not get a chance to A/B, but from memory, I do like this "new" updated H better. Note that the new Sig magazine only highlights the H, with a great writeup on the versatility of the amp, I agree completely. Also the H seems to have been prominently presented and demo'ed at the Experience, and featured for personal demo's, I look forward to hearing more on people's thoughts.

The only thing that would make this amp better for me would be a Variable Boost. For certain songs in the setlist, I need the volume to go up or I great drowned out. And I do not want to use a Volume Pedal. Ironically, CAD does offer that option, and this amp was actually ordered with it, but unfortunately that was missed and this head does not have it. But once I get through my current rehearsal and gig cycle, I will ship it back to get the Boost mod added in. I also have ordered another 2 Channel H with the Boost Mod for home (in Paisley and Black Gold, of course!), so I get the opportunity to play it at home on a daily basis to dial in my favorite settings.

Thanks PRS, for this great 2 Channel H Amp!!

Excellent report! The amp sounds like a winner! Looks sharp, too.

And kudos to you for gigging that sweet guitar!

I'm not at Experience either, as I am working on another car ad campaign, but I did get to record the HX/DA and a PRS! So there's that...it's always a good day when you can use these things for getting down to biz!

Great review Pete! Glad the gig went well...try running the clean channel as the drive channel...push the gain and slam it with the ep booster...great tone...very rich and touch sensitive.

Bob:

Thanks for the tip, I will try that! I had read that before, had planned to try it, just haven't gotten around to it yet. That amp doesn't live where I do, so have another one on the way for home, to get to know it better. ;)

-Pete

Excellent report! The amp sounds like a winner! Looks sharp, too.

And kudos to you for gigging that sweet guitar!

I'm not at Experience either, as I am working on another car ad campaign, but I did get to record the HX/DA and a PRS! So there's that...it's always a good day when you can use these things for getting down to biz!

Thanks, Les! I like the Paisley/Black Gold thing for the home setup, but for my gigging rig I really dig the Black Tolex with the Gold Burst Maple, looks GREAT on stage! My band members really dug it.

Yes, that was an interesting experience, to buy a Private Stock and immediately gig it, kind of nerve-wracking. I guess these guitars are meant to be PLAYED! ;)

The whole point of the purchase was a lightweight guitar to help with the back challenges I have on and off, so it is a gigging guitar for sure! Separate report coming soon on that aspect of the gig....

Cool that you are doing some more car commercials! My wife is from the Motor City (Plymouth), and we are sporting some Dodge's these days (SRT8 Charger for me, R/T Durango for her), so I would be interested to hear offline what commercials you have done and are doing in the automotive space.

Thanks, Les! I like the Paisley/Black Gold thing for the home setup, but for my gigging rig I really dig the Black Tolex with the Gold Burst Maple, looks GREAT on stage! My band members really dug it.

It looks really cool in your backline! I'm sure it sounds fantastic.

Yes, that was an interesting experience, to buy a Private Stock and immediately gig it, kind of nerve-wracking. I guess these guitars are meant to be PLAYED! ;)

The whole point of the purchase was a lightweight guitar to help with the back challenges I have on and off, so it is a gigging guitar for sure! Separate report coming soon on that aspect of the gig....

Sure, it could get dinged, but it's meant to be played, so I think it's very hip that you decided, yeah, you're going to play it! I mean, it could get dinged at home, too.

Cool that you are doing some more car commercials! My wife is from the Motor City (Plymouth), and we are sporting some Dodge's these days (SRT8 Charger for me, R/T Durango for her), so I would be interested to hear offline what commercials you have done and are doing in the automotive space.

Pete, I've been in the ad music biz for 20 years, and have written and produced music for national and regional ads for every single US car line, plus VW, Mazda, and I think a couple of others. So that would be, in no particular order, Chrysler, Dodge, RAM, Chevy, Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, GMC, Corvette, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Ford Truck, VW, Mazda...lots of work over the years!

Our most recent projects (just finished for last weekend) were the Ford F-150 national ads with Denis Leary that are already on-air, and we're still working on three more that aren't for F-150; but I can't mention this latest two until next week. ;)

Straight out of college my wife taught elementary school in Plymouth-Canton Schools! She probably taught your wife. At the time she looked about two weeks older than her students. LOL

Recently got a chance to get hands on with one and really put it through the paces. Turn and burn baby! This thing rips. Tried it with the fat back 2x12, and it can get anything from vintage to modern rock, to metal (depending on what guitar and pickups you use with it). I noticed it really lets the tonal differences in a variety of axes shine through. Getting one.

cogratz, first of all I loved the looks of your rig.
I also have a "H" amp and couldn't be happier. Matter of fact, mine is one of the "new" ones and do sound different then the old ones (I got a friend who has one of those). the clean channel break point is not so early, witch I like it. anyway, I like it because it's light and has lots of sounds (from sparkling clean to metal). and those maple front panels are just what was missing on them.
I tried the "C", but I didn't have the "H" to make an A/B test and I also liked it very much, but seems to me they are not as popular as the "H", anyway.

Cool Pete! I couldn't resist.. I just ordered a 2-channel H combo(latest version) paisley with black gold. I'm hopeing that the powers that be can deliver as fast as my SAS narrow field arrived. I'm very excited about this one. Cheers!

Last edited:
Cool Pete! I couldn't resist.. I just ordered a 2-channel H combo(latest version) paisley with black gold. I'm hopeing that the powers that be can deliver as fast as my SAS narrow field arrived. I'm very excited about this one. Cheers!

David:

Awesome! Hopefully I will be posting pics of my Paisley and Black Gold 2 Channel C Head here soon! ;)

-Pete

Back