1x12

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I have a prs 1x12 cab. I didn't like the v30 so I stuck a g12 celestion in it. I like it better but not enough to play it like this. Maybe if I was playing a really small club and was forced to play it because of space I could but I know I would struggle.

I want it to remain a 16 ohm cab so I'm open to suggestions. I'm thinking greenback but those are only 25 watts and not sure how that would work.

What works for you?

Thanks

My solution to any question.....Celestion Alnico Cream (Rated at 90 watts)
1. Tain't cheap. (If you explore a bit, you can get 20% off).
2. Totally worth it

I have a prs 1x12 cab. I didn't like the v30 so I stuck a g12 celestion in it. I like it better but not enough to play it like this. Maybe if I was playing a really small club and was forced to play it because of space I could but I know I would struggle.

I want it to remain a 16 ohm cab so I'm open to suggestions. I'm thinking greenback but those are only 25 watts and not sure how that would work.

What works for you?

Thanks

What don't you like about the other speakers?

The v30 reminds me of trying to get an HFS to sound good with my rig. It's harsh. I prefer a slightly softer breakup, not a sharp attack if that makes sense.

I understand that a 1x12 may never sound as good as a 4x12 but I should be able to get closer than I am.

The alnico cream is expensive so I hate to buy it on the chance that I might like it.

The alnico cream is expensive so I hate to buy it on the chance that I might like it.

There’s a very easy way to find out.

If you have a DAW (or any hardware device that can load impulse responses) you can buy an impulse response of the Celestion Alnico Cream from Celestion for very low bucks, including an impulse response taken from a closed back 1 x 12.

https://www.celestionplus.com/products/irs-by-speaker/alnico-cream/

Further, if you have a load box, like the Suhr or the Mesa Cab Clone, or a Two-Notes Torpedo, etc., you can use your own amp with the impulse response, and simply run the IR in your DAW with a plugin.

If you don’t have something like this, maybe a friend or bandmate does (they’re pretty popular devices).

In any event, this is a very inexpensive (like, $12) way to experiment with speaker choices. It’s not 100% like a real amp in the room, but you can get surprisingly close, certainly close enough to decide whether you’re interested in the speaker. Incidentally, this method is how Pete Thorn does most of his gear demos.

There’s a very easy way to find out.

If you have a DAW (or any hardware device that can load impulse responses) you can buy an impulse response of the Celestion Alnico Cream from Celestion for very low bucks, including an impulse response taken from a closed back 1 x 12.

https://www.celestionplus.com/products/irs-by-speaker/alnico-cream/

Further, if you have a load box, like the Suhr or the Mesa Cab Clone, or a Two-Notes Torpedo, etc., you can use your own amp with the impulse response, and simply run the IR in your DAW with a plugin.

If you don’t have something like this, maybe a friend or bandmate does (they’re pretty popular devices).

In any event, this is a very inexpensive (like, $12) way to experiment with speaker choices. It’s not 100% like a real amp in the room, but you can get surprisingly close, certainly close enough to decide whether you’re interested in the speaker. Incidentally, this method is how Pete Thorn does most of his gear demos.

Dam. That's a fabulous idea. I've pissed away 12 dollars a lot worse ways many times over in my life!

The v30 reminds me of trying to get an HFS to sound good with my rig. It's harsh. I prefer a slightly softer breakup, not a sharp attack if that makes sense.

I understand that a 1x12 may never sound as good as a 4x12 but I should be able to get closer than I am.

What amp? A 1x12 will never sound as big or spacious as a 4x, or even a 2x, but you can get the tones you want if you find the right speaker. It sounds like you want a greenback, but need more handling. I don’t know how much you do need, but for real nice, a Scumback M can be scaled to your power needs. Private Jack (Emi) or Warehouse ET 65 and 90 are variants as well, and more affordable. Just remember, with the same exact speaker (so say you’re going Scumback where you can choose how much power it can handle) the more you go up in power, the more top end you lose. The 100 watt speaker won’t be as bright as the 50 which won’t be as bright as the 25... etc. Each step up in power tames a little of the top end, but all have the characteristic “greenback mids.” I love my Private Jack with my Archon!

I ordered a Martini the other night that cost more than $12, and I pissed it away before I left the restaurant.

Maybe that’s too much information, though, huh.

Nah, it’s all relative, right? :)

I gig a PRS 1x12 with a V30 frequently but also have a 1x12 closed back with an ET65 that is fantastic. Great speaker, especially for the $$.

Wow, that alnico cream is $300? I see lots of folks raving about it but what magical components justify that high of a price tag?

chasing speakers is an expensive luxury and have mostly seen disappointment with other musicians I know. I was always a JCM2000 TSL with 1960A cabs (GT75's) but sadly didn't need the 4 x 12's anymore.....so now I have a Mesa Boogie Mark 5:25 with the matching two 1 x 12's closed back cabs with V30's.....the V30's took quite awhile to break in.....I ended up engaging a music device in the input to play music to move the speaker cone some for a few days.....that really helped "smooth out" some of the harshness to spoke of and now sounds killer IMO with my PRS's and Gibby's....I'm an alternative rock player by nature but do play classic rock and even some country tunes with friends and the V30's sound fine ....

Hmmmm. I bought the G12 used so maybe it isn't broken in yet. I could easily pump music through it for a couple of days. Hell, maybe the v30 wasn't broken in yet????

300.00 is a lot for one speaker. I saw one used 200.00 but it was 8 ohm. I really want 16 ohm.

I love greenbacks but at 20 watts I'd probably blow it.

I thought about giving in and getting something else also....but took the suggestion of getting some hours on the speaker some how and it did actually help drastically reduce the harshness of a brand new V30....

I like greenback speakers but always used 1960A's and B's with GT75's (300 watt) cabinets with 100 watt Marshall JCM2000 TSL heads back in the club playing days....now I also have a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401 combo with a Celestion G12H30 in it.....I really like the speaker....super smooth or possibly just worn the hell out....LOL

I meant to ask this earlier, when I asked which amp you played.... but WHICH G12 speaker do you have? The majority of their 12" speakers start with "G12..."

Also, still don't know what amp you're playing or what G12 speaker you have, so I can only make generic replies. Glad to help if I can but need specifics for a more detailed response.

I have an Emi GB128 that I like, if you want 16ohms, check out the Private Jack. I can't say whether they 100% nail the Greenback sound and feel, as with most things probably not, but the general idea is definitely there. Shifts the midrange down a little bit, vs the V30.

Les - I've actually wondered how well that would work to audition speakers, may grab a load box soon, so that would be a cool way to go.

Back