1st PRS??

Flyfish-mt

I'm certain that this has been talked about before but I am looking to get my feet wet in the PRS arena. I have been playing for over 30 years and have owned many guitars mainly Gibson and Fender. I currently own a 80' LP Custom and a 01' AS Strat and was looking to add a PRS to my stash. I have looked at the SE series but I am willing to toss in more $$ to get an american made guitar. I do not have to have a brand new guitar, a used one in good shape would be just fine. Of course I love the fancy $3k+ PRS guitars but I am looking to stay in the $1500 range. Any suggestions on a good starting point would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I like the traditional PRS styled guitars.

Welcome!
If you have the chance just go try a bunch. Since you have a LP and strat, I'd start with checking out a Custom 24 for the "original" PRS vibe or a 22 if 24 frets doesn't excite you. A used McCarty or DGT would be my personal pick.

Also, I do prefer a thinner neck profile. I'm not sure if neck profiles differ from model to model as do Gibson necks.

Also, I do prefer a thinner neck profile. I'm not sure if neck profiles differ from model to model as do Gibson necks.

It sounds like you'd be right at home with a CE. The CE24 came with a wide-thin neck which is very comfy, and its bolt-on maple neck gives it a slightly more stratty feel. It's a very versatile guitar with the 5 pickup selector options, and they can be found for a thousand bucks on a good day, as while they were Maryland-made and have lovely maple tops on mahogany (and earlier alder) bodies, they had dot inlays so they aren't as blingy and expensive as, say the Custom line. I really like mine a lot.

+1 on the CEs. There was an option for a "standard" neck profile (my 1997 has one) which is definitely heftier, but I prefer the wide/thin as well. So be sure to ask about the neck. I haven't played a bad one yet :)

A used Mira will run you under a grand, maybe a little over for a maple topped one (2008) only if you need a bit more bling - 24 frets, birds were an option, also very versatile with the coil tap, a little more vintage sounding, and a plainer carve. Fixed bridge only.

You might also check out the new American-made S2 line, haven't played one myself but initial reviews are excellent, and you're getting a Maryland-made PRS for no more than $1400 (depending on model).

Welcome aboard, flyfish!

I'm guessing the pattern thin/wide thin and also the regular necks are the way to go for you. The wide thin profile is more unique to PRS, while the Regular profile is more of a standard thin Fender neck. Like Carl had suggested, look for the S2 line if you prefer new guitars, they're really nice without the really "handsome" price. I played a few at my nearest PRS dealer, I find them to be very well-made, and I'd play them without any mods if I were to get one. I'd strongly recommend the SEs too if you wanted to pocket some more money for mods further down the road. They play and sound great stock, but with the saved money, you can also throw down some new pickups and locking tuners etc. later on to suit your own needs. The sub-$1000 price point really made the SEs the most-bang-for-buck import guitars out there.

So many options. Everyone has their opinions and they're all good to hear. If you can, go play as many as you can to get a feel for what's out there.

What style of music do you play, or are aiming for? Not to say that one guitar or another is only limited to a style, but it's a good starting point.

Also, don't forget about the new S2 line, which are Maryland made and well under your budget.

Thanks for the input so far!! I play mostly rock and occasionally some blues but primarily for good ole' clasic rock stuff. I prefer more of a darker sounding guitar overdrive, not one with a trebly bite. I looked at the S2 series and it looks really nice but would it be wiser to take tat money and put it towards a used McCarty or something similar? I think I would pefer a neck-through design rather than a bolt on.

Thanks for the input so far!! I play mostly rock and occasionally some blues but primarily for good ole' clasic rock stuff. I prefer more of a darker sounding guitar overdrive, not one with a trebly bite. I looked at the S2 series and it looks really nice but would it be wiser to take tat money and put it towards a used McCarty or something similar? I think I would pefer a neck-through design rather than a bolt on.

Assuming you mean glued-in neck, not neck-through? If you like a slimmer neck then best prob'ly to go to a dealer and just try a bunch. Like you, I was sort of initially thinking a "real" PRS was set neck but honestly even after trying the pricier ones I preferred my CE. There's some evidence that a bolt-on maple neck is stronger and more stable than a set mahogany neck, anyway. Mine sure never goes out of adjustment.

What neck profile does the DGT have? I have read that it has larger frets, would that mean taller or wider frets?

If you are into dark sounding, I'd go with a Mccarthy or a Singlecut.

Flyfish-mt,

What type(s) of music do you play? Who are some of your favorite players? What kinds of tones do they have that you like and/or shoot for yourself? (I realize you've already answered some of these questions, but I'm just sort of thinking out loud here.)

First and foremost, I'd suggest you try to play a few different models yourself. Even if there doesn't happen to be a dealer in your area, a trip to a dealer within a reasonable distance would be a good investment that might help make your decision easier. If that simply isn't possible, then do plenty of research first. Read interviews, watch YouTube videos and reviews, etc. to get a good idea of what's what.

Generally speaking, I don't think you could go too wrong with anything PRS makes. It's the narrowing down the choices to get the one you want that'll be the question. And the fun part. Good luck! Let us know what you come up with.

Goldtop Lloyd

Recently bought a used 2011 Custom 24 --- At this point, it's easily the best guitar I own or have recently owned. Ran me $1600 with a factory case.

The nice thing about it is that if I hated it, I could turn around and sell it for probably that same $1600. If you buy a S2 model and you don't really care for it, you've lost a big chunk.

And for the record -- I've played the S2 Custom 24. It's got nothing on this thing. I shouldn't say "nothing" - I certainly liked it more than my SE Custom 24. But the "core" model is just on another level.

If you don't mind the used market, you can get a core model without blowing your budget.

I am a huge fan of used guitars...look them over well, plug them in, check all pick up choices, and fall in love...and save some dough. The only thing I really try to check prior to buying a used guitar is the truss rod...no store should have a Problem letting you loosen, then tighten the TR...just make sure the neck moves accordingly. Most of mine were purchased used and still play like buttah!!! Oh yeah. A Custom 24 would be Great Core model to start with.

What neck profile does the DGT have? I have read that it has larger frets, would that mean taller or wider frets?

Taller. The neck carve is in the ballpark of the standard carve - it's very comfortable for me, but if you like really thin necks, it may not be to your taste. The DGT also comes stock with .011s.

That said, it is beautifully designed - the .011s don't play like they're that heavy. It's definitely worth your while to play one first.

There are some great Miras out there should come in under your $$$ number
Just keep an eye on the yard sale section great stuff is always popping up
If you can go a bit higher a 408 standard ( used ) is a great guitar and can cover lots of ground
Happy hunting

I'm certain that this has been talked about before but I am looking to get my feet wet in the PRS arena. I have been playing for over 30 years and have owned many guitars mainly Gibson and Fender. I currently own a 80' LP Custom and a 01' AS Strat and was looking to add a PRS to my stash. I have looked at the SE series but I am willing to toss in more $$ to get an american made guitar. I do not have to have a brand new guitar, a used one in good shape would be just fine. Of course I love the fancy $3k+ PRS guitars but I am looking to stay in the $1500 range. Any suggestions on a good starting point would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I like the traditional PRS styled guitars.

There are some great Miras out there should come in under your $$$ number
Just keep an eye on the yard sale section great stuff is always popping up
If you can go a bit higher a 408 standard ( used ) is a great guitar and can cover lots of ground
Happy hunting

"Yard sale section"? Where can I find this?

The flagship PRS guitar is a Custom 24, but that answer is too easy.
If you are a Les Paul fan, you might like a SC 245.
Definately try a lot of different guitars with different neck profiles to discover what you like best.

Well, I think I would prefer a 22 fretted guitar. With that being said, it looks like either a Custom 22 for McCarty. What are the differences between the two? What things should I look for when buying besides neck size? Are there particular pickups that sounds better than others? I love the sound of good ole' Gibson T-tops. Any decent places to buy used besides Fleabay?

Back