1st PRS - Vela or Paul's SE?

BigMuffFuzz

I'm looking to get my first PRS and have narrowed it down to there two models. I'm looking for something versatile and all around for various styles (no metal or really heavy rock). I'd appreciate any advice from more experienced users about pros/cons/differences between the two. Thanks 8n advance.

I certainly have been loving my Vela (McCarty tobacco burst) for the last several months, and I consider it a really versatile guitar - I mostly play blues and classic rock. I took a bit of a risk and bought it without playing it; nobody around here had one available to play, but will second toothace’s recommendation to play the guitars if possible before deciding.

Which one feels/sounds best in your hands?

Ive only gotten to play them separately, at two different stores and not had the chance to try them side by side. They both felt really good and I don't think the necks were all that different. Tone wise, I was able to get a good sound from both too but again, I would like to do a side by side.

I was looking for more insight for a new to PRS player from those with experience.

Tough one! I would give the Vela top spot when it comes to hardware, and the Paul’s for looks if you prefer a figured top. The Vela May be a little brighter sounding? Can’t lose either way.

.......I'm looking for something versatile and all around for various styles (no metal......)........

I don’t have a Vela, will someday, but your post describes the SE Paul’s guitar to a tee. I do have the SE Paul’s, and am still amazed at the variety of sounds it can get, even up to classic rock. It has the most sustain of any PRS that I have, maybe any guitar that I have, which is surprising considering it’s very light weight.

Ive only gotten to play them separately, at two different stores and not had the chance to try them side by side. They both felt really good and I don't think the necks were all that different. Tone wise, I was able to get a good sound from both too but again, I would like to do a side by side.

I was looking for more insight for a new to PRS player from those with experience.

The solution ... is to get both;)

I’d get the Vela. The build quality is more consistent and the Paul’s necks feel too thick for me.

-k

Vela. Pickups might not have all the fancy electronics, but they do have volume and tone knobs.

Get the Vela new and find a used SE.
The Pauls SE won't be on the used market for a while, I'm talking general SE guitars.

I’d guess the Paul’s is maybe a little more versatile. The Vela on the the other hand it GREAT at what it does. The tones are outstanding! I haven’t played a Paul’s SE yet so can’t compare them.

Back