1st PRS: SE Hollowbody II Piezo in Peacock Blue Smokeburst

Nice F Holes

I posted about this in the Hollowbody thread, but considering I've been wishing for a PRS SE (full) Hollowbody for 20 years, and I'm thrilled to be part of this community, I felt it deserved it's own NGD thread :)

It came from Willcutt Guitars (PRS Signature Dealer) and I highly recommend them.

It's a full hollowbody with separate top, sides, and back joined by kerfed linings with some additional bracing like an acoustic. It's light, solid, beautiful, and the tones are so sweet! I have housemates so I love that it plays and sounds so beautiful unplugged for late night practice.

I may have the neck shape adjusted at some point - that's the only thing I wish was a little different, but I'm learning to work with it. Considering it checks every other box, and a PRS HB with a W/T neck would have to be Private Stock, I think it's well worth it!

Normally I'd avoid wood pickup rings since they break, but I feel like they'd go so well with the natural flamed maple binding. I also wanted to dye the stand to match, but that also kind of goes with it. Anyway I don't want to make any changes until at least the first string change. I do have 57/08 pups I can put in, but I want to learn the stock pups first.

This guitar is inspiring and my technique is already improving! It even inspired me to find an online teacher I can relate to and I started doing video classes. I really hope this leads to earning my way toward a core model, but either way it's a perfect instrument and I'm super stoked to have it and be here!
119180920_10224955752144225_3118826930469940996_n.jpg
119457479_10224955752384231_297657856635778652_n.jpg
119450801_10224983679002379_2152039715972353954_n.jpg

I posted about this in the Hollowbody thread, but considering I've been wishing for a PRS SE (full) Hollowbody for 20 years, and I'm thrilled to be part of this community, I felt it deserved it's own NGD thread :)

It came from Willcutt Guitars (PRS Signature Dealer) and I highly recommend them.

It's a full hollowbody with separate top, sides, and back joined by kerfed linings with some additional bracing like an acoustic. It's light, solid, beautiful, and the tones are so sweet! I have housemates so I love that it plays and sounds so beautiful unplugged for late night practice.

I may have the neck shape adjusted at some point - that's the only thing I wish was a little different, but I'm learning to work with it. Considering it checks every other box, and a PRS HB with a W/T neck would have to be Private Stock, I think it's well worth it!

Normally I'd avoid wood pickup rings since they break, but I feel like they'd go so well with the natural flamed maple binding. I also wanted to dye the stand to match, but that also kind of goes with it. Anyway I don't want to make any changes until at least the first string change. I do have 57/08 pups I can put in, but I want to learn the stock pups first.

This guitar is inspiring and my technique is already improving! It even inspired me to find an online teacher I can relate to and I started doing video classes. I really hope this leads to earning my way toward a core model, but either way it's a perfect instrument and I'm super stoked to have it and be here!
119180920_10224955752144225_3118826930469940996_n.jpg
119457479_10224955752384231_297657856635778652_n.jpg
119450801_10224983679002379_2152039715972353954_n.jpg
Outstanding! That's a great looking guitar. So glad PRS was able to get something of this quality out at a good price.

Dave's has some Standards for a ridiculous price. I was thinking about jumping on one, but got distracted by something else.

That is stunning. Congrats. I'm always happy to hear when someone finds their guitar inspiring. Such a wonderful feeling.

Nice! I'm really beginning to dig those new Hollowbody II's. The look absolutely stunning. I love how they put flame veneer on the back too. Makes me wish they did that with one of their solid body models.

Congrats! I haven’t tried one (yet) but I bet 57/08s would sound great in it!

Yeah, I can hardly wait to find out! I’m just getting back into this so my whole rig is new. I’m still figuring out my settings, finding the right tubes, etc. Once I’m familiar with everything and have my custom cables done it will probably be time for a string change and pup change.

Joe, changing the neck shape would change the tone. We have the same guitar, and I like everything they did. When you learn the pickups, you may find that they don't need a change. Mine will stay stock, except for locking studs and the SE locking tuners I put on. They're great archtops.

Joe, changing the neck shape would change the tone. We have the same guitar, and I like everything they did. When you learn the pickups, you may find that they don't need a change. Mine will stay stock, except for locking studs and the SE locking tuners I put on. They're great archtops.

Awesome, I didn't know you got it already - congrats! Yeah there's nothing on this guitar that screams for change. My issue with neck is just that my thumb slides around in lower frets. I don't put it directly behind, nor on top, so the 'U' shape is a little annoying. I don't need it thinner but would like more 'C' shape. It's not a huge deal but would be nice to make it 'perfect' and 'mine.' And the pups, well I have the 57/08s in a box so I just figured I'd stick my best pups in my best guitar :) But maybe I'll try them in the kit I'm building first.

Hi Nice F Holes, I am so excited to say I ordered this same guitar today! I saw it in your profile picture (very unique, it catches the eye). I have no clue when it will arrive, I have heard production is backed up. My local GuitarCenter had a good Black Friday deal so even with none in their delivery pipeline and no info on when, I took the plunge and ordered this baby. I'm willing to wait. Played a non-piezo HollowBody II in the store to check feel and tone and it called to me. Are you still loving yours?

Are you still loving yours?

In all honesty, I love it more and more every day. It’s beautiful so I keep it out on a hanging stand, which means I play more. Also because it’s beautiful, I clean it and wipe the strings, and apparently clean guitars play amazing!

I don’t like my “amp in a pedal” setup and ordered a new Mesa Mark V. I tried a non-piezo through the Mark and loved the straight-in clean tone. My amp is back ordered, so in the mean time I just play my guitar unplugged. It sounds beautiful! And when you change strings, keep stretching them until they stay in tune. This guitar, out on a stand in a Hawaiian house with windows that don’t close, just stays in tune. It’s unbelievable.

In all honesty, I love it more and more every day. It’s beautiful so I keep it out on a hanging stand, which means I play more. Also because it’s beautiful, I clean it and wipe the strings, and apparently clean guitars play amazing!

I don’t like my “amp in a pedal” setup and ordered a new Mesa Mark V. I tried a non-piezo through the Mark and loved the straight-in clean tone. My amp is back ordered, so in the mean time I just play my guitar unplugged. It sounds beautiful! And when you change strings, keep stretching them until they stay in tune. This guitar, out on a stand in a Hawaiian house with windows that don’t close, just stays in tune. It’s unbelievable.
For what it’s worth, I frequently play my piezo output into channel 1 of the Mark V. Not quite as acoustic sounding as into my Fishman, but pretty satisfying.

Back