1999 PRS Custom 22 Tuning Key question

king tone

I just got a 1999 Custom 22 and trying to get it dialed in. It has the wing style tuners, which I want to replace.
What are my options? I do not want to drill. I have searched a bit before asking but I just want to make sure before I order something. It appears that the schaller m6 mini will fit. It would be great if a locking style key would fit but I guess if not then it is not a deal breaker. Seems from reading that the newer versions of PRS keys will not fit without drilling. I also know some of the guitars varied. Mine does not use the shared key style.
IMG-0986.jpg

Or keep the wings and learn to love them! They are awesome.

Thanks for your reply but I am afraid that is not going to happen. I always disliked that design, even when it was new. Too finicky and the ratio is such that you have a hard time fine tuning. Also, played my first gig with that guitar and broke a string about halfway through the set. Normally that would not be important to anyone but the point is...I went over 30 years without breaking a string! It broke right on the edge of the wing. I had the phase 2's on guitars before, worked flawless so that is probably a good idea. Like I said though, that is a lot for a set of keys!

Well, sounds like wings aren't your jam. At least you could sell them and offset some of the Phase II cost.

Anybody ever put a set of wings on a strat? :eek:

Well, sounds like wings aren't your jam. At least you could sell them and offset some of the Phase II cost.

Anybody ever put a set of wings on a strat? :eek:

Don’t know if you could, they’re 3X3 and a strat is 6 in line. You could off-set the cost of the phase III’s by selling the Strat;)

You can get about $100 for your winged tuners.

I am surprised! I guess if someone really likes them and wants to restore a guitar then they are desirable. I probably have to do that then. Thanks everyone for the insights!

I am surprised! I guess if someone really likes them and wants to restore a guitar then they are desirable. I probably have to do that then. Thanks everyone for the insights!

I actually prefer them, they have their positive attributes. If it was a few years ago I’d probably try and snag them myself.

Maybe you guys already did a replacement and know something else but...
this is the official word from an email...

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. Unfortunately we don’t offer anything that is a direct replacement.
However, Schaller M6 mini non-locking tuners are a direct replacement.
As far as I know, these are the only direct replacement tuners available.

Back