Solved: 1999 McCarty Archtop II bridge grounding

Oldschool59

Hi all! Long-time PRS player and lover, new member to this forum. A quick question to the experts:

I just got a 1999 McCarty Archtop II, and I'm besides myself with excitement. I noticed that out of the sound post, there is a thin sting-like wire coming out, whose other end is loose. I figured it is the ground wire from the fixed bridge post, and I suppose over time, it got detached from its other end. My question is: It seems easy enough to attach the loose end to the bridge pickup baseplate, but is this where it's supposed to be? Some other wiring diagrams specify the volume pot, some others the tone. I know the ground is all connected in parallel, and I suppose I could even connect the free end to the output jack ground, but is there a preferred location for this bridge ground?

Many thanks in advance! Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi all! Long-time PRS player and lover, new member to this forum. A quick question to the experts:

I just got a 1999 McCarty Archtop II, and I'm besides myself with excitement. I noticed that out of the sound post, there is a thin sting-like wire coming out, whose other end is loose. I figured it is the ground wire from the fixed bridge post, and I suppose over time, it got detached from its other end. My question is: It seems easy enough to attach the loose end to the bridge pickup baseplate, but is this where it's supposed to be? Some other wiring diagrams specify the volume pot, some others the tone. I know the ground is all connected in parallel, and i could even connect the free end to the jack, but is there a preferred location for this bridge ground?

Many thanks in advance! Cheers!
I just checked mine (from 2000). Are you sure it's loose? When looking in the f-hole I didn't see it, at first. I was looking towards the pots. I changed the angle I was viewing it from and see it. I can see it come out of the little hole where it would attach to the bridge. But, it doesn't go to the electronics. It goes away from the bridge towards the pickups. I can't see where it goes, but I would assume it's grounded to one of the pickups????? Either that, or mine is hanging loose too! :D

I just looked through the other f-hole. It definitely goes towards the pickups. If it isn't attach to an actual pickup, maybe it's soldered to the bare ground wire on one of them.

I'm thinking it goes to the pick-up baseplate. In some schemes, the baseplate (and cover) are actually grounded. It would be the easiest solution, as I can just hook it to the plate without welding it. Let's see if other people have any more suggestions.

Thank you very much for your help.

I'm thinking it goes to the pick-up baseplate. In some schemes, the baseplate (and cover) are actually grounded. It would be the easiest solution, as I can just hook it to the plate without welding it. Let's see if other people have any more suggestions.

Thank you very much for your help.
You're welcome. Glad I could help out.

I just looked at my 99. I don’t think you have an issue at all. There is quite a bit of slack in the wire, but I believe you will find that it is connected at both ends - if you are inclined to tug on it hard enough.

I just looked at my 99. I don’t think you have an issue at all. There is quite a bit of slack in the wire, but I believe you will find that it is connected at both ends - if you are inclined to tug on it hard enough.
Thanks for the encouragement! I have actually followed the wire, and the loose end is quite free of any sort of attachment. I've been able to pull the free end out through the lower f-hole. The end looks a little kinked, as if it was hooked on something before. By the way the wire is bent, I'm thinking it was connected somewhere around the bridge pick-up area.
Thanks for your help. I love the 99s!

A little complication... I checked the continuity between the loose wire and the bridge, and it turns our that movement can open that circuit, meaning that the contact between the wire and the bridge post insert is not solid. I have to redo it. Short of removing the inserts, and re-inserting the wire and then pressing the insert again, I see no other way. I have heard of people driving a tiny screw to make contact with the post insert, and then use the screw to attach the wire to. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Hi all. i finally took out the bridge pick-up, and soldered the bridge wire to the outer metal sheath of the pickup (ground), and everything is fine. The guitar is grounded and ready to rock! Thank you all for your help!

50994573796_8a15a06068_k.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Back