1995 PRS Ce3??

Lobomov

I've been offered a 1995 PRS Ce3.It comes with a story that it is a pre-production and build by builder that since have moved on to private stock builds etc.

Does anyone have any info on this and thoughts on their value?

Hello and welcome. Do you suspect that it could be fake? Do you have some photographs to show us?

No no no ... It is not fake. The question is whether there is some thruth to the story about it being a better build that newer ce24s and thus might be priced higher than a used ce24 :)

Not enough info. We need pics and the dudes story.

PRS started production of CE's in 1988 so, "pre-production" of what? Also, CE's were made on the same line by the same dudes who made all the PRS guitars. It's quite probable that someone who went on to work in the PS department helped make CE's, but I'm not really sure that anything special or out of the ordinary would've been done unless it was an employee or artist relations guitar.

I would err on the side of BS to be safe.

Oh well ... I googled around but couldn't find much and in the end went thru with the deal simply because I really liked the guitar. Ended up paying 75% of new price instead of the more common 50-60%, so no big deal but you can always kick yourself afterwards :D

Thx for your replies!!

Last edited:
Its still dark outside and thus practically impossible for me to get a good picture, but here goes:

23ia5pv.jpg

The photograph appears fine. So what is it about the guitar that could support the claim that it is a pre-production model? Prototypes are often labelled as such on the rear of the headstock. I have never had one but there could be other information hidden inside the cavities maybe.

The photograph appears fine. So what is it about the guitar that could support the claim that it is a pre-production model? Prototypes are often labelled as such on the rear of the headstock. I have never had one but there could be other information hidden inside the cavities maybe.

Tbh .. I don't have any experience with PRS guitars and their price level can get stellar, so I bought into it. Seller is quite a nice guy that is known to love PRS and always has a few for sale. I suspected his story to be grease, but then again I really liked the guitar, so I just went with it and tbh no hard feelings. If I ever decide to sell worst case is, that I might end up losing a bit, but what the h*** .. You only live once :)

With regards to the guitar.There is a tag with it. Assembled in April 1995 by Paul M. Neck pick up is called the vintage (so now it must be super vintage :D ), bridge is a HFS and the neck is the wide thin neck.

So long as the guitar is okay who cares about the seller's fanciful tales :) It is good that sometimes a guitar comes with a story and yours is a funny one. Enjoy.

If Paul M is Paul Miles that is a cool story!! I was expecting a 3pc top so I'm not sure why this is called a ce3??

Edit- looks like the ce3 had a name change to ce24, pretty much the same model, it would make more sense that this is ce24 pre production model than the other way around.

Last edited:
If Paul M is Paul Miles that is a cool story!! I was expecting a 3pc top so I'm not sure why this is called a ce3??

It could be .. which adds credibility to the story that this guitar was assembled by builders that have moved on to making private stock etc. ... I dunno, but it's fun and makes me feel better about buying it ... Tbh I didn't know who Paul Miles was before seing his name here.

With regards to the ce3 label .. I think (based on random googling) that the ce3 had the wide thin neck, while the ce24 had the regular neck

Just for fun, here is a pic of the tag

r9g502.jpg

Last edited:
If it is a 1995, the term pre-production is probably a bit of a misnomer. Around 1995, production moved from the old factory to the current factory. Around this time, a few features changed on the guitars like the longer neck heel and the larger headstock logo. more had work went into the earlier guitars. It is hard to say exactly because some had these new features made in both factories.

The pre-1995 guitars may be worth a bit more for a few reasons, but not significantly more. First there were less of them based factory production, the Alder bodies and short heels and the first year that had the "Classic Electric" logo which I think was only made for one year are fetching more but condition also offsets much of this gain.

The pre-1995 guitars may be worth a bit more for a few reasons, but not significantly more.

This is good to hear. All in all I maybe paid an ok price after all it seems. I may be blinded by the price of the new run of ce24 also. As I understand it, the older where a bit more expensive?

Once again a bit thank you to all who have posted in this thead. It is my first PRS, so I am fairly clueless :) (but so far I am very happy. It is a great feeling and sounding guitar!)

Back