1995 PRS CE22, needs some tuning stability and I think replacement tuners.

tip

Not really liking my first winged vintage tuners. This beauty sounds great with the mahogany / 10 top Maple , Dragon 1's. I love the 5 tones.
The guitar is built so well and feels so good to play. It came back from a 50$ setup last month and at first it stayed in tune OK, with trem use.
I have always loved PRS/Mann trems and I wished I knew how to set them up myself but....
The seller of this guitar siad that the trem is set up for 9-42. So I put those on and kept them wiped down.
Well a few hours of playing and a few weeks later, it is really unstable in tuning.

I have realized that I don't like 14:1 gear ratio tuners.
Especially the low E. Way too sensitive to set and retune. I also am not enamored of the wrap design, either.

Please without drilling, let me know of a replacement tuner set.

Would another spring be recommended? The trem is sensitive and can possibly use some more tension if that helps it stay in tune.

Can you post a picture of the back of the headstock? I'm pretty sure phase 3's will work.

Are the strings binding in the nut?

I don't think ph 3s will fit but as I understand it ph 2s will work. If G and D share the same mounting screws then you drill new screw holes if they don't then its a drop in replacement. I did it on my CEs and I'm happier with them.

Your strings are a few weeks old? Are they corroded?

Somebody mentioned chapstick in the string slots and I started doing that with every string change which occurs every 2 shows.

Firstly, the number one culprit for tuning stability issues is the nut. No matter what tuners you put on there, it's not going to stay in tune unless the nut slots are good. Also make sure there are no burrs on the saddles. That can hang up the strings as well. Take it back to your setup dude for a re-check. A properly set up PRS stays in tune amazingly well.

Since it's a '95, I assume the D/G tuners do not share a screw on the back of the headstock? If they don't share a screw, the Phase II tuners are a direct replacement and a lot of people consider them easier to operate. If they do share a screw, full size Schallers fit, but you'll have to grind the D/G screw tabs just like PRS did. I think Phase III keys will work in either case, but will require drilling new mounting holes on the back of the headstock.

Here's a pic of headstock: I love my 18:1 ( and a few higher) ratio tuners, on my acoustics. Way easier to get the tuning done. Thank you for the direction. Looks like Phase II, so far are the easiest replacement.

I also am going to bring it back to my setup guy who wanted to aquire this guitar.
Would an additional or stronger tension spring help? It is pretty easy now...?
Cant believe the slippery nut can still bind.

Ah, so it has the shared screw version. The only direct swap I know of then are the Schaller M6, which aren't locking. Lots of other tuners with 10mm shaft will work, including Phase II, but you'll have to drill new screw holes.

The best thing to do would be to grab a pair of PII's for $100 and drill. Some PRS dudes change their wings all the time, and I think it'll retain more value by keeping it "in the family" parts wise.

Bangin'! CE and welcome aboard.

Can I ask what you meant by not liking the wrap design?

I haven't even wrapped one string properly yet.... Sorry for being so pathetic.. I tried one string and after 5 minutes gave the guitar to my tech.
I still would like to get better than 14:1 gear ratio replacements. i am going to ask my luthier if he pencil leaded the Tusq nut. Maybe the 6 screws weren't set exactly perfect?

BTW: This is my 4th PRS. The others went away after a few issues.
- 513 I couldn't get used to the tall frets and the 10" radius seemed too round on the pattern regular. Sure miss the Eriza Verde maple though..... and am on the lookout for a different model with that!
- Starla couldn't get the Bigsby set up and the short scale was too hard to play up in the cutaway
- Nf3, I fell in love with in the GC but I bought a used one that had half the body resonance and the fretboard edge wasn't rolled. No magic.

This 1995, mahogany, dragon 1, 5 position, CE22 is really good for me. It plays easy feels sublime and sounds incredible. Love the extra strumming room in between the pickups compared to 24 fretters.
Anyone want a NOS, 2012 LP standard? I got a PRS that feels so great in comparison. Just need to get the trem stable.

IMHO a good setup is what the guitar really needs. there are a lot of youtube videos available on how to do that properly. The winged tuners are really easy to use once you undderstand how they work.

IMHO a good setup is what the guitar really needs. there are a lot of youtube videos available on how to do that properly. The winged tuners are really easy to use once you undderstand how they work.

+1. I loved the winged tuners. You just need to find a video showing how to use them. Of course, if you can't live with the ratio, it becomes a moot point.

Back