1995 McCarty Goldtop Info

mdeeds71

I am trying to get info on a 1995 McCarty Goldtop that I have. It has some interesting remarks under the PUPs. Please take a look and tell me what you all think. I was a former BAM member and have a similar thread over there at vintage rocker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80826991@N04/

Thanks.
Mark

$1195 is a great price for a '95 McGoldie. Cool guitar.

1195 is not a selling price but my mistake trying to put 1995 as a year as I already have the guitar...just looking for info. Cannot edit title.

If Mike hasn't already paid, I will take this guitar for that price! I might even consider going to $1200...

Beautiful guitar!!! I have a feeling there is a little back story about that guitar somewhere in the factory....

Last edited:
Again, Sorry for the confusion but I own this guitar...for about 2 years now. Just trying to get some info. Moderators please change title to read 1995 not 1195...this is not a FS thread.

I am trying to get info on a 1995 McCarty Goldtop that I have. It has some interesting remarks under the PUPs. Please take a look and tell me what you all think. I was a former BAM member and have a similar thread over there at vintage rocker.

Thanks.
Mark

I'm probably stating the obvious here (if so, my apologies), but have you sent these pics and your inquiry to the factory? They could probably help out in a hurry.

Goldtop

I'm probably stating the obvious here (if so, my apologies), but have you sent these pics and your inquiry to the factory? They could probably help out in a hurry.

Goldtop

I called about 6 months ago. I left a message and never got a call back. Tried to call again, stated they were not the right person for the question...transferred to same number that I was waiting for a call from.

I am trying to get info on a 1995 McCarty Goldtop that I have. It has some interesting remarks under the PUPs. Please take a look and tell me what you all think.
That appears to be an "Artist Stock" guitar. Congrats!

Too bad the PRS database from those years is dead - would be fun to know which artist it was made for.

No issues...just did not want to get kicked off of a forum with 1 posting.

You're going to have to work MUCH harder than that to get kicked off this forum.

Last edited:
Tried to call Joe...got someone else...he passed the info on and was just told enjoy the guitar by the individual...he is busy. I had been told on BAM that there were only a few of these out there. I have never seen the SB1000 in a cavity before...anyone?

That appears to be an "Artist Stock" guitar. Congrats!

Too bad the PRS database from those years is dead - would be fun to know which artist it was made for.

You're going to have to work MUCH harder than that to get kicked off this forum.

On BAM someone mentioned Alex Lifeson from Rush was looking for a McCarty Goldtop from this time frame.....I wish....who knows now that the dbase is gone.

I am thinking of sending it to the PTC to get a once over and tune up....maybe someone might remember it there???

Those markings mean it has horrible undisclosed defects and is basically worthless. You should send it to me immediately for disposal.

I bought one new in '95, and a couple weeks later I swung through the shop, and they asked if I might want to return it because Alex Lifeson was hot on the hunt specifically for a Goldtop McCarty, as there were not that many produced due to issues surrounding goldflake from the newer more accurate PRS goldtop finish getting in the paint spray guns being hard to get out. I politely declined and gigged that baby with an emerald '95 McCarty for 6 years strong...

Reactions: FJ4
Ok, I'm a huge Rush fan and heard a similar but twisted story. Alex wanted a CE with a single coil in the neck pickup to get that "Hentor Strat" sound that is all over early 1990's records. What they built him was a CE22 with a single coil pickup in the neck and a dummy coil next to it so it looked like a hum bucker. On a few of those albums, he used guitars from a company called "Signature" which built Stratocaster type guitars with a very "glassy" tone but toured with PRS CE's eventually.

Honestly, I think PRS really blew it with Alex. That endorsement would have blown away off of their endorsements combined and would have generated a world class guitar. You snooze....you lose....

Back