1994 PRS CE 22 - Dragon 1 swap or sell

Do you want the "Les Paul tone" ? Get yourself a Les Paul.
Do you want the "Stratocaster tone" ? Get yourself a Stratocaster.
Do you want them both at the same time in a single song ? Get yourself a modeler. ;)

Do you want the "Les Paul tone" ? Get yourself a Les Paul.
Do you want the "Stratocaster tone" ? Get yourself a Stratocaster.
Do you want them both at the same time in a single song ? Get yourself a modeler. ;)
Or a Variax

Hey I’m new to this so hang with me here. I just picked up my first real PRS, a 1994 CE 22, that is all original. I traded my Les Paul Studio for it with the thought of getting a more of a Les Paul sound but with the feel of a strat. I was shocked as to how much I hate the Dragon 1 pickups.

I’m torn between swapping the pickups out and getting rid of the 5 way rotary switch or just trying to sell the guitar and try getting something closer to what I’m looking for.

I would hate to destroy any resale value of the guitar because I know the Dragon 1s are so sought after and something just doesn’t feel right messing with a guitar after it was left all original after almost 30 years.

Do I swap the pickups and make this a forever guitar or do I keep it all original and try to find someone who will appreciate the dragons?

The man asked an "either/or" question and I answered.

My original point is simply that these guitars are 30 years old now.

They are vintage guitars of historic importance.

So speaking for myself, I don't think they should be altered.

That said...

The Dragon I neck pickup is based on the original pickups in a '59 Les Paul. It measures 8K and uses an Alnico 4 magnet. If you're after the sound of a real '59 Les Paul, I'd leave the Dragon I Bass pickup in the guitar.

The Duncan JB is a bridge pickup I like a lot in a CE22. It's a good alternative to the Dragon I.

I turn my guitar's tone control down 1/2 way when using the JB, because the JB is a little brighter than the Dragon I.

I recommend swapping the stock POLISHED Alnico 5 magnet in the JB for a ROUGHCAST Alnico 5 magnet. That takes some of the sting off the treble and gives a rounder tone.

I also use and really like the John Suhr SSH+ bridge humbucker. It's as hot as the Dragon I and has a similar big, full sound, but it is not as dense.

The sound is a little more open, and I hear more space in the tone - even with heavy overdrive.

Last edited:
I used a reamer to enlarge the hole on my 1996 to install a 3 way toggle. I’ve switched back and forth between that and the original rotary multiple times without issues.

If you love everything about the guitar besides the pickups, I’d just buy a prewired PRS McCarty harness and the pickups of your choice and rock the guitar. Unless you have some super rare PRS of massive value, make it yours. Be an owner, not a renter.

Hey I’m new to this so hang with me here. I just picked up my first real PRS, a 1994 CE 22, that is all original. I traded my Les Paul Studio for it with the thought of getting a more of a Les Paul sound but with the feel of a strat. I was shocked as to how much I hate the Dragon 1 pickups.

I’m torn between swapping the pickups out and getting rid of the 5 way rotary switch or just trying to sell the guitar and try getting something closer to what I’m looking for.

I would hate to destroy any resale value of the guitar because I know the Dragon 1s are so sought after and something just doesn’t feel right messing with a guitar after it was left all original after almost 30 years.

Do I swap the pickups and make this a forever guitar or do I keep it all original and try to find someone who will appreciate the dragons?
Before you change anything, work with the pickup heights, and especially your amp settings. I’m amazed at how much the sound of every PRS can vary by working with those. The 5 way switch is great in live settings, so I don’t change those out. I also say live with the guitar for two months before you change anything. There is always some getting used to the sound changes from one guitar to the next. After that, you decide. If the guitar is in excellent condition, don’t change a thing and do what suits you. If it’s not in excellent condition, have at it.

I used a reamer to enlarge the hole on my 1996 to install a 3 way toggle. I’ve switched back and forth between that and the original rotary multiple times without issues.

If you love everything about the guitar besides the pickups, I’d just buy a prewired PRS McCarty harness and the pickups of your choice and rock the guitar. Unless you have some super rare PRS of massive value, make it yours. Be an owner, not a renter.
I bought a '00 CE22 with changed pickups for $1200 + shipping recently. It had been on Reverb almost a year without selling.

I put a set of John Suhr SSH+ and SSV pickups in it, and replaced the controls. Today I put in a push/pull tone control that does a partial coil split that leaves leaves one coil of each pickup fully on and the other coil partially on for a stronger "single coil" tone.

I have a little more than $1500 into it by now...not counting my labor. But it was worth it.

It's become my favorite CE22.

Last edited:
I think of myself as being a custodian of my guitars.

At 73 years old, I know someone else is going to love them someday.
Someone else will enjoy them regardless of whether they are bone stock 100% original. When I got my 1996 CU22, it was a stretch for me to even be able to get the guitar much less own another. I found while I liked the rotary, it was difficult for me to accurately switch on the fly in a live setting with a band. So it had to go, to be most useful to do what I loved. That was playing in a band. It gave me years of joy and I still have it. I’d have hated to not experience that the last 27 years.

Last edited:
Just keep the original parts so you can put them back in if you ever decide to sell it, I don’t know why some people are saying not to touch it. The CE-22 is the best core guitar PRS ever made IMHO, I have two (1994 and 2006) and I swapped pickups in both and am much happier having done so. It would be ridiculous to sell such an awesome guitar just because you don’t like the pickups, I’ll never understand that mentality.

Just keep the original parts so you can put them back in if you ever decide to sell it, I don’t know why some people are saying not to touch it. The CE-22 is the best core guitar PRS ever made IMHO, I have two (1994 and 2006) and I swapped pickups in both and am much happier having done so. It would be ridiculous to sell such an awesome guitar just because you don’t like the pickups, I’ll never understand that mentality.
I agree when you don't like pickups.
But not when you swap a Les Paul for something else and then struggle to obtain Les Paul tone ... ;)

I agree when you don't like pickups.
But not when you swap a Les Paul for something else and then struggle to obtain Les Paul tone ... ;)
Before you change anything, work with the pickup heights, and especially your amp settings. I’m amazed at how much the sound of every PRS can vary by working with those. The 5 way switch is great in live settings, so I don’t change those out. I also say live with the guitar for two months before you change anything. There is always some getting used to the sound changes from one guitar to the next. After that, you decide. If the guitar is in excellent condition, don’t change a thing and do what suits you. If it’s not in excellent condition, have at it.
I’m going to give this a shot. I have only played it for a couple hours but my first impression left a lot to be desired. I’m going to see what I can do with the pickup height. How low should I be going? I’m also going to get it professionally set up and see how it feels after that.

Use your ears not a ruler. Lindy Fralin recommends setting the neck pickup to your liking, and then going after the bridge. There’s no “correct” height, except what you like the sound of. Spend an hour or so and you should be able to dial it in if the sound is in the current pickups.

I say swap the pickups but keep the rotary switch. Also don't sell the pickups.

I would ask myself this question: if I change the pickups and the sound becomes exactly like the one I'm looking for, will it be THE guitar for me? Does the neck feel comfortable? Are you happy and willing to practice when you open the case? etc etc

If the answers are yes, then sure, I would replace the pickups. I just did on mine. It's reversible. You're not painting a moustache on Leonardo's Monna Lisa. This will help you enjoy a great guitar that isn't manufactured anymore (I love 22-fret guitars).

If the answers are no, then sell it as it is, and buy "THE" guitar for you, whatever it is.

OP:

This will sound harsh.. but bear with me..

There is NOTHING that you can do to this guitar that will make it sound like a Les Paul.. There is no pickup swap, wiring or anything else that will get close.. Other than being an electric guitar there are no similarities in construction that would even indicate that it could get close to a Les Paul tone... there are similarities in construction to a strat.. but nothing in common with an LP.

Your CE22 is a good, desirable PRS. Sell it and move on..

If you want a PRS that at least is somewhat similar to a Les Paul tone then get a S2 594 single cut.. If your heart is set on the tone of a Les Paul tho, then get a Les Paul as there are lots in that price range used.

It may be helpful to determine what about the Les Paul sound you are trying to achieve. What are you not hearing in the CE that you want to hear? People chase a sound they think is a signature sound of a specific guitar but it really isn't. If you play every guitar you own through a clean amp, you may be surprised at how close to each other they sound. You can adjust the pickups to get them closer. There will be some differences due to how hot the pickups are and the magnets in them but you can adjust to narrow that gap a bit. You can then hear what the real difference is. I would try to identify if it is a certain mid range response you are looking for or something similar to that. Seymour is on record saying to find a guitar you like the look and feel of, the sound can be altered with the pickups to get it where you want it. You may be able to get in the ballpark but not exactly the same due to the construction of the guitar.

I have changed the pickups in some of my PRS core guitars. I still have all of the stock pickups so they can be put back in if I decide to sell the guitar or include them with it. I probably wouldn't ream a hole out to put the toggle in place of the rotary. That is not as easily reversed. The CE22 is something that people will seek out. They didn't make as many of them as the CE24. They really are a great guitar that was built at the core level but with a bolt on neck and sold a bit cheaper.

OP:

This will sound harsh.. but bear with me..

There is NOTHING that you can do to this guitar that will make it sound like a Les Paul.. There is no pickup swap, wiring or anything else that will get close.. Other than being an electric guitar there are no similarities in construction that would even indicate that it could get close to a Les Paul tone... there are similarities in construction to a strat.. but nothing in common with an LP.

Your CE22 is a good, desirable PRS. Sell it and move on..

If you want a PRS that at least is somewhat similar to a Les Paul tone then get a S2 594 single cut.. If your heart is set on the tone of a Les Paul tho, then get a Les Paul as there are lots in that price range used.
This reminds me of a person I found while browsing guitar stuff on youtube. I mentioned this here before, but second breakfast is as good as the first. So, there's this kid on YouTube, he has a wood library PRS custom. Gorgeous guitar, sublime color. He made an entire video about why he doesn't like it. Yes, shocker isn't it? The complaints are the usual fare (PRS doesn't have its own sound, doesn't cut thru a mix, blah, blah...). So, the solution? He got an even more expensive LP custom. I guess that was the sound he was looking for all along? I guess? Which begs the question, why not just start with that?

So, the point is don't buy an apple then feel buyers remorse if it doesn't taste like an orange. I tell people all the time...before you plop down several grand on a PRS or LP, get an SE or Epiphone. For a small investment you can get a good taste of what each guitar will be like. Getting a CE to sound like an LP is a pipe dream, and that was never the intent of the design. The CE is like the ultimate middle ground between LP and Strat features while sounding and playing like neither. You have to love it for what it is. When I change hardware on my axes, my goal isn't to make them sound like something else, I want to enhance the sound they already have. Ok, tant over, you can all go back to your pudding.

Back