1993 PRS CE24

Mind Flayer

I have a 1993 PRS CE24. I bought it used a couple years ago. Really love how this thing plays. However, a couple questions:

1. Does anybody know which pickups came stock on these?

2. I'm not a fan of the switching system. Mine has a volume and tone knob, and then has a third knob that acts as a 5-way pickup selector. Positions 1, 3, and 5 are bridge, B+N, and neck, respectively, I think. Positions 2 and 4 seem to be some sort of coil split positions. I really love the sound of position 2 -- it sounds to me like it's bridge + neck, but in single coil mode.

I'd like to mod this to move to the switching system that is on the new PRS CE24 models: I'd like to replace the selector knob with a 3-way selector switch, and then have either the volume or tone knob replaced with a push-pull knob that will allow me to coil split like the current models do. This would give me 6 positions, as opposed to the 5 positions that I currently have. My main reason for doing this is that I just really don't like using a knob to switch between pickups.

Does anybody know if this mod is something that a tech could do fairly easily? I figure the pickups must already be coil-splittable, since that's what's happening in positions 2 and 4 on the current setup. So it should just be a matter of installing a push/pull pot, replacing the knob switch with a 3-way switch, and maybe re-wiring a bit.

Thanks!

HFS and VB pickups, and yeah, any competent tech should be able to modify that wiring for you pretty easily.

I did this on a Cu22. Well, I had the PTC do it, kind of. I went from the 5 way rotary to a 3 way toggle, and two mini switches for splits.

3RKV1wE.jpg

Thanks! Quick question -- as I mentioned, I love the sound of the second position, which I think is the outside coil of the bridge and outside coil of the neck. In the modern CE24 coil splitting wiring set up, is that what you get when you have the coils split and the switch in the middle position? If there's one sound I want to keep from the current setup, it's that one.

Thanks! Quick question -- as I mentioned, I love the sound of the second position, which I think is the outside coil of the bridge and outside coil of the neck. In the modern CE24 coil splitting wiring set up, is that what you get when you have the coils split and the switch in the middle position? If there's one sound I want to keep from the current setup, it's that one.

I don’t think you’d get to keep that one.

Cripes! Well, I'm not giving up that one, so I guess I'll keep it as is. Thanks again for all of the replies!

I’m in love with that second spot on the rotary as well, and it’s pretty much why I haven’t given up on it too.

My CE24 is also from 1993!

I like that setting too. 4 ain't bad either. I actually like them all and since I rarely switch during a song, the knob doesn't bug me.

I have one of each. Have had both wiring setups in the past and prefer the toggle with push pull taps. But , at least for now, both of my CU22s are wired differently and I can get ALL the tones out of them possible (but as a pair. not a single guitar). Still contemplating the toggle and taps on the cherry burst girl though. I am just not much for modding my guitars wherever possible.

prsi_by_klbryanphotography_dd0ckpf-fullview.jpg

I have a 1993 PRS CE24.

2. I'm not a fan of the switching system. Mine has a volume and tone knob, and then has a third knob that acts as a 5-way pickup selector. Positions 1, 3, and 5 are bridge, B+N, and neck, respectively, I think. Positions 2 and 4 seem to be some sort of coil split positions. I really love the sound of position 2 -- it sounds to me like it's bridge + neck, but in single coil mode.

I'd like to mod this to move to the switching system that is on the new PRS CE24 models: I'd like to replace the selector knob with a 3-way selector switch, and then have either the volume or tone knob replaced with a push-pull knob that will allow me to coil split like the current models do. This would give me 6 positions, as opposed to the 5 positions that I currently have. My main reason for doing this is that I just really don't like using a knob to switch between pickups.

Does anybody know if this mod is something that a tech could do fairly easily? I figure the pickups must already be coil-splittable, since that's what's happening in positions 2 and 4 on the current setup. So it should just be a matter of installing a push/pull pot, replacing the knob switch with a 3-way switch, and maybe re-wiring a bit.

Thanks!

I also have a '93 CE24 in which I'll be installing a Freeway 6 way toggle switch. With this I understand I'll be able to keep all 5 positions plus one additional of my choice. Check it out, it might be what you're looking for.

https://www.freewayswitch.com/products/

As far as the 5 way.

5wayrotary_91.gif

Back