1992 Santana Tri Color 'Rasta' Flag Custom 24

JamesScott

Anyone have information on this rare guitar? I've heard a few things that only a handful were made for Santana himself and he kept two and the rest were released to the public. Not a lot of information on these guitars.

I've read they made 6, I also read they made 10. One story goes Santana played each one live and kept the ones he liked.

Anyone have the truth on these and what they would be worth these days? Really interested to learn more about the history of this particular guitar.

Thanks all!

crixgkfruse8khir9gu3.jpg

IIRC there were closer to ten, however I forget the exact number.

One of our members who rarely posts here has one, and when the forum first started the guy who stained them had a nice chat with us about the process. I wish I could remember the thread title but, maybe if you search hard enough you can find it.

They seem to pop up for sale in the $10-13,000 range whenever I’ve seen one (and there’s one on reverb now), no idea what they actually sell for.

I think Boogie has it. I can’t remember Tony’s username for here either, not that I’d expect him to see if we “@ed”him.
He might have deleted his account. I can’t find it under the username I believe he used here or any of the others he has used elsewhere.

Oh...I had to search out the one on Reverb, which is not my thing. It would have been easier if they hadn’t spelled out the company name.

Wasn't one of them also painted with the red color on top by mistake?
I've heard a few of them were done incorrectly and Santana sent them back. There are some correct ones out there. The guitar has so much mystery behind it, haha. I wish there was more info on it.

I’m pretty sure Paul made reference to the guitar in the recent “scrapbook” YT video that he made. I can’t remember if he gave much info.

Go to the 13:10 mark in this video:

He doesn't say much and moves on pretty quick but it was questioned how it was done and that the custom shop today can do some really advanced stuff compared to back then.

Last edited:
I’ll bet either you or @Boogie have photographic evidence of its visit to Chicago.

I think Boogie has it. I can’t remember Tony’s username for here either, not that I’d expect him to see if we “@ed”him.

There is one in the Chicagoland area. A couple of years ago, when I was trying to sell a AP Santana, some guy reached out via Reverb. He came across as a little flaky, and when he asked if he could come check it out, I would only meet him at the nearest Police Station lobby. He showed up with a case. He never actually said it, but I think he wanted to trade for the Santana, and a pile of cash. Sadly, that wasn't about to happen. I did get to fondle it, and take a couple of pics.

rED0Z3c.jpg

Do not fear, the synth unit is not screwed into the top. He also said that he had taken it to one of the area Guitar Centers. They loved it, but told him there was no way they could offer him anything close to what it was worth.

EDIT: Just went to Reverb. That's the same one as this.

I've heard a few of them were done incorrectly and Santana sent them back. There are some correct ones out there. The guitar has so much mystery behind it, haha. I wish there was more info on it.
The fellow I know who has one loves it and tours with it. I think if they had made it 20-25 years later they would have sold plenty of them.

Last edited:
He might have deleted his account. I can’t find it under the username I believe he used here or any of the others he has used elsewhere.
Turns out his account is still here, you just can’t search for him because of the punctuation in his username. He hasn’t logged in in over 5 years though. Casualty of the dipsh!ts I guess.

But here is his guitar as posted in an old Rasta thread
glassy2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info so far everyone! It's been awesome to learn a bit more about the guitar.

If only we could know how many were actually made and what the story was behind them, and if Santana tried them all out and kept the ones he liked. So much mystery still to uncover!

Anyone have information on this rare guitar? I've heard a few things that only a handful were made for Santana himself and he kept two and the rest were released to the public. Not a lot of information on these guitars.

I've read they made 6, I also read they made 10. One story goes Santana played each one live and kept the ones he liked.

Anyone have the truth on these and what they would be worth these days? Really interested to learn more about the history of this particular guitar.

Thanks all!

crixgkfruse8khir9gu3.jpg

That green dye certainly didn’t stand the test of time.

Back