1991 EG4

Coop

That one guy
I'm going to look at one of these hopefully this afternoon, but it seems to be hard to find any info about these beasts. The body shape was a bit different, they came with 2 singles and a humbucker and had a wide thin neck. Anyone have any experience with one of these and is there anything to look for?

Thanks!

Hi Coop,

I just bought a 1991 EG-4 last week, pretty beat up but it is an awesome guitar!!! This is my first PRS and I am blown away by it (I don't think it will be my last PRS). The HFS humbucker (to my ears) sounds amazing (it has more balls than both my SG & Les Paul's 498 & Burstbuckers, but without being obnoxious), but I do not like the two single coil pick-ups as they sound weak & weedy (possibly the worst single coils I've experienced in 30+ years of guitar playing). The non-locking PRS/Schaller tuners hold the guitar perfectly in tune, even with my wildest dive bomb attempts on the trem - very impressed with that. The neck is sublime and plays great. I heard rumours that the neck joints can be a bit iffy, but mine is solid. I absolutely love it. If an EG-4 is this good, I cannot wait to get a Custom.

Last edited:
Hi Coop,

I just bought a 1991 EG-4 last week, pretty beat up but it is an awesome guitar!!! This is my first PRS and I am blown away by it (I don't think it will be my last PRS). The HFS humbucker (to my ears) sounds amazing (it has more balls than both my SG & Les Paul's 498 & Burstbuckers, but without being obnoxious), but I do not like the two single coil pick-ups as they sound weak & weedy (possibly the worst single coils I've experienced in 30+ years of guitar playing). The non-locking PRS/Schaller tuners hold the guitar perfectly in tune, even with my wildest dive bomb attempts on the trem - very impressed with that. The neck is sublime and plays great. I heard rumours that the neck joints can be a bit iffy, but mine is solid. I absolutely love it. If an Eg-4 is this good, I cannot wait to get a Custom.

Sweet! Congrats on your first PRS. Won't be your last! And, welcome to the Forum.

Back