1990/91 Limited Edition 300 question

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
I’ve always wanted to own one of the 300 Limited Edition guitars from 1990/91. I’ve been looking at the Internet, at past sales, current sales, and any information I can find but what confuses me is the numbering. Seems like there was no order to the numbering from what I can dig up, some guitars in 1991 had high numbers into the hundreds while others had low numbers in 1991 in the 40s and vice versa from 1990. I was looking on Reverb and there is one advertised, in very nice condition, showing a serial number that would’ve been from 1989. Number 55 of 300. Without posting the link and being accusatory I am curious if anyone thinks this guitar is a fake? The Paul Reed Smith guitar official website says these historic limited additions are from 1990/91. What about 1989? I figure there should be some experts on this site that can help me with this.

I have one from '91, and I am no expert, but I believe some of the confusion could come from Pauls availability. IIRC the whole change from Signature to Limted Edition came about due to the ability to get Paul to sign them since he was on the road trying to promote the brand. Anyone that knows more feel,free to chime in. This was way before my time and experience with all things PRS

I have one from '91, and I am no expert, but I believe some of the confusion could come from Pauls availability. IIRC the whole change from Signature to Limted Edition came about due to the ability to get Paul to sign them since he was on the road trying to promote the brand. Anyone that knows more feel,free to chime in. This was way before my time and experience with all things PRS

So are you saying that when guitars were being made and at the step for him to sign them, they were set aside until he could get to them (sign them) ? Therefore a 1990 could be 178/300 and a 1991 42/300 depending how they were laid out for him to sign?

So are you saying that when guitars were being made and at the step for him to sign them, they were set aside until he could get to them (sign them) ? Therefore a 1990 could be 178/300 and a 1991 42/300 depending how they were laid out for him to sign?

Yep, pretty much. Although, I think that the '91s are Ltd Ed instead of Sig because of Paul being on the road so much. I'm pretty sure I read that in the PRS book.

Pretty common to see different year codes in the pup cavity than the back of headstock on early PRS. There was a lot going on between 89-91 at PRS. The Sig series was finishing up, Sig Ltd was being introduced and the Artist1 was being developed/produced. There was 4 timbers used for the tops of the Sig Ltd series, Figured Cedar ,Redwood , Figured Maple and Lacewood. The Redwood proved problematic. The Redwood log had been sitting in salt water for 15 years and in that time the resin had left it. leaving behind gaps in the grain that had to be filled. Meaning production delays. Meaning guitars not going out in order by serial #. But im a old fart my memory may be off.

The Limited edition was 1989-1991 according to the PRS book. It had features different from the Signature guitars. It has a tune-o-magic bridge, Signature guitars do not. Sequence numbers are when the guitar was assigned to a buyer (dealer), not when they were built. There are many examples of high sequence number guitars being built before lower numbers. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Pretty common to see different year codes in the pup cavity than the back of headstock on early PRS. There was a lot going on between 89-91 at PRS. The Sig series was finishing up, Sig Ltd was being introduced and the Artist1 was being developed/produced. There was 4 timbers used for the tops of the Sig Ltd series, Figured Cedar ,Redwood , Figured Maple and Lacewood. The Redwood proved problematic. The Redwood log had been sitting in salt water for 15 years and in that time the resin had left it. leaving behind gaps in the grain that had to be filled. Meaning production delays. Meaning guitars not going out in order by serial #. But im a old fart my memory may be off.

Thank you very much for the helpful information !

The Limited edition was 1989-1991 according to the PRS book. It had features different from the Signature guitars. It has a tune-o-magic bridge, Signature guitars do not. Sequence numbers are when the guitar was assigned to a buyer (dealer), not when they were built. There are many examples of high sequence number guitars being built before lower numbers. Hope this helps

Thanks for your helpful reply. So it sounds like a LTD 300 with a 1989 serial number is entirely possible.

Nice guitar! I'd like to see some more pics of it. I used to go to the Alto Music RT9 in Wappingers Falls. Bought a CU24 from there, and many other supplies. Gentleman named Russ worked there, really helpful person.

Bought in the early 90’s from Rudy’s in nyc because of the crazy top. I spoke with a rep at prs a couple years back about it and found that few were made, as others here have posted. Thought I’d share.

Wow!! Really awesome looking top!! Thanks for sharing.

I’ve always wanted to own one of the 300 Limited Edition guitars from 1990/91.

They are from 1989-1991. There were more than 300. Some numbers (like #300/300) were duplicated.

...I believe some of the confusion could come from Pauls availability.

Yes, the original Signature line was never intended to be limited. The Sig LE, however, was the first formal limited run ever done by PRS.

Yes. But they weren't all finished in perfect sequence either.

Didn't know about the Lacewood.

The Limited edition was 1989-1991 according to the PRS book. It had features different from the Signature guitars. It has a tune-o-magic bridge, Signature guitars do not.

Not quite so binary. There were a few from the regular Sig run with a TOM bridge. Also, there were a few from the LE run that had a tremolo.

If you end up considering an LE (which are all semi-hollow), make sure it still has the correct pickups. Both positions will have Vintage Bass pickups with the words Limited Edition hand-written on the sticker.

They are from 1989-1991. There were more than 300. Some numbers (like #300/300) were duplicated.

Yes, the original Signature line was never intended to be limited. The Sig LE, however, was the first formal limited run ever done by PRS.

Yes. But they weren't all finished in perfect sequence either.

Didn't know about the Lacewood.

Not quite so binary. There were a few from the regular Sig run with a TOM bridge. Also, there were a few from the LE run that had a tremolo.

If you end up considering an LE (which are all semi-hollow), make sure it still has the correct pickups. Both positions will have Vintage Bass pickups with the words Limited Edition hand-written on the sticker.

The couple of pics posted today of the Lacewood were the first I've ever seen. Pretty cool! All I know is, I love my LE!

Back