1989 PRS CE - Welcome to the World of Awesome

BYokes

I'm finally a PRS owner!!! YEEEHAWWW!!!

A few days ago, I came across a 1989 CE in Whale Blue (maybe charcoal? It could go either way), all maple neck, and OHSC at my lgs. It caught my eye, along with a couple other PRS's, but I honestly didn't know much about them other than their fame of playability.

I went home and started researching it. Based on the pictures I took at the store, and thanks to this website, I learned enough to make an educated purchase today! So thank you to all you guys that help out on this site *virtual fist bump*

A couple questions I haven't found answers to though;
- I haven't seen any non-solid finishes on the 1988-1989 CE's, is it odd that mine is figured? I've only seen a solid red, solid pearl white, and solid pearl black.
- Has anyone seen a whale blue vs charcoal or black finish, so I can actually know what color it is? Maybe it has just faded with time, like some colors do...
- From my understanding, the "PRS Electric" logo headstock was only produced for about a year (last half of '88 and first half of 89'), and was cut due to a legal issue; mine is serial 0899, from May 1989. Does anyone know how many were made total?
- Any idea how many shipped with just the maple neck, opposed to rosewood?

Sorry for all the in depth questions, I'm just PSYCHED about this guitar and want to know as much as I can about it.

@DISTORT6 Thanks for the warm welcome amigo!

image14fe0dbf5d5f9ec6d8.jpg

Here's one for you

Ya, I definitely thought it was black, until I noticed the shop had it listed as whale blue on it's tag. Then I found this listing while I was researching and they look remarkably similar.
https://reverb.com/item/1814982-1989-prs-ce-24-all-original-whale-blue-excellent-condition

That's a good call with the W/T... that is the only neck profile they made for the early ones

I don't know man, I'm still not going whale blue but you have the guitar in hand. I didn't notice it at first, but I do see a hint of blue in there. The older blue ones I've seen faded more often than darken but who knows after all these years and this ones been a player for it's life. I'd email the pickup cavity pics to PRS and they will be able to tell you more. I believe you could special order pattern regular. Either way email PRS and then you'll know.

I don't know man, I'm still not going whale blue but you have the guitar in hand. I didn't notice it at first, but I do see a hint of blue in there. The older blue ones I've seen faded more often than darken but who knows after all these years and this ones been a player for it's life. I'd email the pickup cavity pics to PRS and they will be able to tell you more. I believe you could special order pattern regular. Either way email PRS and then you'll know.
Thank you for all of the input and suggestions! Much appreciated

Back