1989 custom

James Paul

Hi, I have had a 1989 custom 24 from new, I wanted to have some warmer fatter pickups, but may be problematic because of the wiring (sweet switch) would appreciate and suggestions
Thanks in advance
James

As fair as I know, any 4-conductor PRS pickup will work with your rotary.

That does limit your options a little bit when you're looking for warmth, but either 57/08s or 53/10s should do the trick. If you can find some P22 pickups on the 2nd hand market (they will either be 57/08s or 53/10s, hard to tell which) then you'd be on the money.

53/10s would be my pick for warmth.

Thanks, the old 24 custom can be harsh in the high end. I have a Santana 1 Private stock in tiger eye with gold birds, I was looking a sound something in between. Could maybe be doing with renewing the tremolo saddle/bridge
Thanks for the reply

Personally I'd be wary changing the trem if you're looking for a warmer sound. It's already got a Mil-Com 1-piece trem, so it's not as if you have a SE steel block trem that you can change out for a brass one.

Where are the pickup heights set? Have you tried raising them?

There's also a ton of pickup options with Fralin, Lollar, SD, Suhr etc etc.

Now that you've said you've got a PS Santana, you're pretty much obliged to post pics :)

How do I import pics from my gallery?My custom is signed by Carlos when I played a few times in the 90' the private stock was signed by him in 2010
James

My 1991 Studio has a very honky quack, almost too bright, with the HSS configuration I like the sound having come from owning Strats early on. The Ce24 is about to get 57/08 bridge and 59/09 neck - will report on this combo. Agree with Justin for 53/10's, have these in CU22, warmest pick ups by far.

My 1991 Studio has a very honky quack, almost too bright, with the HSS configuration I like the sound having come from owning Strats early on. The Ce24 is about to get 57/08 bridge and 59/09 neck - will report on this combo. Agree with Justin for 53/10's, have these in CU22, warmest pick ups by far.

Hey man I'm totally interested in your CE24 getting a pickup change. I have an old CE and the hfs is way to bright as well. Please post you results when you get a pickup change, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey man I'm totally interested in your CE24 getting a pickup change. I have an old CE and the hfs is way to bright as well. Please post you results when you get a pickup change, I would greatly appreciate it.

I had HFS in my ce24 but like you it was way too bright so it got a pair of 5708s, much better.

I recently put 5310s in an all hog body ce22 and they sound pretty dam good. I think I'm going to send it off for a setup though.

I had HFS in my ce24 but like you it was way too bright so it got a pair of 5708s, much better.

I recently put 5310s in an all hog body ce22 and they sound pretty dam good. I think I'm going to send it off for a setup though.
Right on I hear the 53/10s are a really cool pickup, especially for this style of guitar. Hey I've been doing alot of thinking and I'm thinking of going with the 59/09 bridge and keeping the original vintage bass. What do you think? I'm not having any luck finding a vintage treble...

Will do, I find that HFS breaks up just a touch easier than my preference, I expect the 59/09 will be a shade darker in the neck so hopefully will have a nice woman tone.
Ive actually never played a 59/09, I'm pretty much just going off what others have shared. But I'm definitely on the boat for one.

Hey Sry I didn't notice you said you put 57/08s in you CE. How is that? Just asking do you prefer them over 59/09s in that guitar. I only ask bcs I feel Mby the 57s will be better complementing the vintage bass. Are 59s more closer to a hfs in sound?

Hey Sry I didn't notice you said you put 57/08s in you CE. How is that? Just asking do you prefer them over 59/09s in that guitar. I only ask bcs I feel Mby the 57s will be better complementing the vintage bass. Are 59s more closer to a hfs in sound?

I like the vintage bass pickup and would love to find out how it would work with a 5909.

5708s and 5909s are nothing like an HFS quite the opposite in fact. There is quite a difference between the 5708s and 5909s too. Through my 5150 5708s have a nice midrange to them but the 5909 bridge has this thing kind of like the breakup of a Tele bridge pickup with but more power

As far as the 5909s and 5708s go, I'm not able to pick a favorite. I love them both. If you liked the power of the hfs then please consider the dragon 1 bridge. It is very powerful but with zero harshness. I have dragon 1s in a CE 22 and it rocks.

As far as the 5909s and 5708s go, I'm not able to pick a favorite. I love them both. If you liked the power of the hfs then please consider the dragon 1 bridge. It is very powerful but with zero harshness. I have dragon 1s in a CE 22 and it rocks.
I really like how you broke that down, thank you. I made up my mind to get the 59/09, I like how you described that pickup and I think I'll be getting it soon.

But if I do find a dragon 1 I am definitely jumping on it.

Thank you again!

Back