1989 Custom 24 rotary switch question(s)...

It's beautiful. I particularly like the mineral streaks, it actually looks like an old Les Paul top! I'm glad you were able to wire her up right.

Were Dragon pickups ever installed in the Cu-24s? I thought they came along with the Cu-22s in 93 (or a tiny bit earlier in the Dragons, but definitely after 89)? Also, comparing my 85s to my 1989-90-91 models, the original T and B pickups sound slightly different (and better) to my ears than the Vintage Bass and HFS.

I sent an email to PRS inquiring about the pickups, asking whether they were original or not. They sent a really confusing reply - "the Dragon pickups were introduced in 1993, so it is certainly possible that this guitar came equipped with them in place". Note that they had the pictures of the serial number and the backs of the pickups in front of them when they wrote this reply. I don't know if they were sneaking early Dragon pickups into custom orders as early as 1989 - I kind of doubt it, and would rather suspect that these were added later, possibly when the original owner installed the 3 way switch.

When I was asking PRS about my 1990 the guy said the records from back then were not very good. Sepcifically he said " Our database is somewhat limited". My guitar wasn't even listed anywhere, although from photos he confirmed a lot of things I was asking about. I'm not sure when they got their act together and maintained tight records but in '89/'90 they basically don't have them. Anyway, I'm not surprised they don't know anything specific about your guitar from the records they have.

Back