1989 Custom 24 rotary switch question(s)...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steved, Jun 25, 2020.

1. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Hot guitar! The Wing Police are gonna be after ya, though! :p

2. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

I've got an 89 if you need pics of wiring cavity

steved, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  3. steved

steved New Member

I plead guilty, due to "that guy did it". Assuming the Wing Police are what I think they are, this is how I got the guitar; I'm going to assume someone who just didn't know changed out the strings last. When I bought my 85 (remember I was one of the first people to buy one) I got taken aside and got a detailed run down on how to change the strings. That first batch - the wings weren't completely developed yet, I had to take it back in to get replacements as they started breaking. Fun fact: Dickie Betts spent a few hours playing my guitar before he decided to buy one of his own, and I got to show him how to change the strings.

4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Now that is wicked cool!

5. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

That is beyond cool!!!

6. AaeCee

AaeCee New Member

Yeah! I was gonna report that to the authorities around here! Serious violation in my book.:eek:

bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  7. Slowhands

Slowhands New Member

Beautiful guitar, from that era the amber tops are my favorites, personally. Iconic.

I have a '90 with original everything and here are some pix of the switch. I presume the wiring is still the same as an '89 would be.

I gotta say, wiring that bad boy up looks like a nightmare. I mean, look at that fine red wire running around all the different wafers. Good luck with it!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. steved

steved New Member

Thanks for the pics! And no worries about the wiring - I build and fix modular synth electronics stuff semi-professionally, doing this kind of wiring is a piece of cake. I got the switch, and I've cleaned it up - removed all that red teflon wiring - it was set for a different version than what I want. The original wiring is much simpler - only about 6 little jumper wires.

Tonight (instead of monkeying with the switch some more) I changed out the strings for the first time (the wing police can stay home!), adjusted the bridge height (the previous owner had the high E side of the bridge down on the deck for some reason), and checked out the pickups. It turns out there are Dragon (I guess the first version) pickups in there.

[​IMG]

#28 steved, Jun 30, 2020 at 4:10 AM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 4:18 AM
    Egads, bodia, Jazzedout and 2 others like this.
  9. Slowhands

Slowhands New Member

That photo of the neck pickup cavity is interesting. Looks like a bunch of people who worked on or inspected the guitar all left their marks. In mine there are no such marks, just a number which I believe is a date (111290, i.e. 11/12/90). I wonder when they started doing that? Sorry, I'm just a nerd about such stupid things.

[​IMG]

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  10. Jazzedout

Jazzedout More Guitars than Time...

An early Custom with Dragons!! What's not to like?

11. steved

steved New Member

Yes, the neck cavity writing probably reveals a lot. It looks like J.K. crossed out A.B.'s initials, and then S.S. got in the act too. In the bridge cavity it has the serial number and "Vintage Yellow" written in sharpie.

Alnus Rubra and Slowhands like this.
  12. Slowhands

Slowhands New Member

It looks like they were fighting over who was going to get to keep it. In the end though, you're the one who won the battle!

Alnus Rubra likes this.