1988 Standard Hardware Upgrade

Neil

I'm trying to switch out my stainless steel hardware for gold and would like to know if the Dave Navarro SE Tremelo Bridge can replace my original bridge. I purchased it on Ebay and it looks like a good fit but not sure. I got the Navarro bridge and tuners for $140.00 and they wanted $450.00 for just the Phase Three Tremelo? Does the Korean model work or do I need to spring for the Phase Three? I only paid $950.00 for the guitar in 1988 and it is awesome.:laugh: I appreciate anyone's help.

Are you really sure you want to replace the original bridge with the SE bridge? That'll hurt the resell value. It's like a step-down IMO. Also, the trem from 1988 must be a one-piece machined bridge, and the SE bridge is a molded two-piece, meaning there might or might not be tonal differences if you change them out. I've seen someone replacing the SE trem with a USA one, but never seen anyone replacing the USA trem with an SE one. :iamconfused:

Thanks MAX

Are you really sure you want to replace the original bridge with the SE bridge? That'll hurt the resell value. It's like a step-down IMO. Also, the trem from 1988 must be a one-piece machined bridge, and the SE bridge is a molded two-piece, meaning there might or might not be tonal differences if you change them out. I've seen someone replacing the SE trem with a USA one, but never seen anyone replacing the USA trem with an SE one. :iamconfused:

Max I'm changing my hardware from Nickel to Gold and purchased the Navarro set thinking it would work, wrong answer! I had to separately purchase the Phase Three locking tuners and I'm trying to salvage something out of the purchase. I'm not going to sell but wondered if the bridge will fit. I appreciate your help and if I need to layout another $450.00 for a gold bridge I will. I appreciate your candor. Best

I don't think anyone will have an answer to that. :eek: No one has ever, or I bet, will ever, try it. Judging by measurement figures, it seem like the SE bridge will fit, because some people managed to get the USA bridge into their SEs, so I think the SE bridge into Core model is doable, but it really is a "do it on your own risk" thing. If it first, I can't see why they wouldn't work. However, if they can't, you might damage the screwholes and intonation problems might arise later on. It's best you shove out the $450 rather than be sorry to ruin a 1988 PRS!

Have fun! :beer:

There's a USA gold trem on ebay for $250. I just wouldn't put an SE trem on USA guitar....especially an '88.

Back