1988 ce24 help

The Fight

Long Hair Demigod
Hey guys trying to step it up and buy an 88 CE24, more of a somewhat project guitar. This guitar is not in the best condition.
Anyhow I don't know to much about the old ones and have never played one. My question is, when did they start /stop using the old "Electric Guitar" logo?
Is this correct for an 88? I have a 92 CE and it has the Electric Guitar logo.
Please help any one that understands old CEs, thank you.

Here is the pic of the headstock 88

0fwsZRN.jpg

The "PRS Electric" logo was changed sometime between 88 and 89. The actual date isn't clear (at least not to me). The serial number should be a more accurate method for the year. The first number is the year (mine has an 8 then 7 (for CE) then 0487 for the 487th CE made. I'm guessing yours will have a 9 then a 7 then a number greater than 487. Also, the first year serial numbers were stamped in the back of the headstock and the later ones are on the neck plate but again, they didn't make the switch on Jan 1. You mention a 92 having the PRS Electric logo. I've seen that before, but they had definitely switched by then. I think they just got around to using that neck in 92 but I don't know for sure.

Here is a photo of my headstock and serial number.
99headstock.jpg

88backofheadstock.jpg

Yours has seen a few miles. Good of you to find her and get her going again.

Last edited:
The "PRS Electric" logo was changed sometime between 88 and 89. The actual date isn't clear (at least not to me). The serial number should be a more accurate method for the year. The first number is the year (mine has an 8 then 7 (for CE) then 0487 for the 487th CE made. I'm guessing yours will have a 9 then a 7 then a number greater than 487. Also, the first year serial numbers were stamped in the back of the headstock and the later ones are on the neck plate but again, they didn't make the switch on Jan 1. You mention a 92 having the PRS Electric logo. I've seen that before, but they had definitely switched by then. I think they just got around to using that neck in 92 but I don't know for sure.

Here is a photo of my headstock and serial number.
99headstock.jpg

88backofheadstock.jpg

Yours has seen a few miles. Good of you to find her and get her going again.

So there's a chance the 88 could have the first gen Paul signature on the headstock?
I will also check the serial when we meet.
Do you know if your hfs pickups have stickers on the back.
I can't wait to have a project and thank you again.

Sure it's possible, but I'd guess it's an 89. It doesn't have the black painted headstock though and there is always the possibility that the sig label may have been put on later and the PRS Electric removed. It will all depend on the serial number.

These did not come with the HFS/Vintage. They started out with a pup called "Vintage" in both positions and they also used some unmarked T&B's which is what mine has:
88pups.jpg

HFS/Vintage was started around 91. One of the best things about the old CE's is the Alder body.

that look sweet. always am surprised by the finds some of you guys get. Question!! what is the project? Is this a PTC one?

Side note, can you tell us what Pickups are in it. and what wonderful scribblings are in the cavities. I know, I have a problem, AND!

Yep, the 46th one in the line up. Nice catch. Open the cavity and look at the switch. IIRC (I'm in China and am doing this by memory) it should be a square metal can with the two white leads that split the pups going to it. The middle position was the coil split of both pups. Very ingenious wiring scheme. Your switch may not be original as mine was not, and I had to search to find the original switch and rewire mine back to spec.

Haha I'd love to take a look inside, but I don't have this guitar just yet. I'll be at my house in two weeks. The guitar looks really played, front and back are very beat. I'd never mess with the neck, I actually like the look of worn maple. I'm still trying to decide what I'll do with it, Mby PTC, or Mby keep it stock.
Hey you said 46, like for that year? Or altogether out of the CE line?

...Hey you said 46, like for that year? Or altogether out of the CE line?

The CE's had their own numbering apart from the rest of the lineup. Well the CE's and the SAS both had their own serial numbering IIRC. So yours was very early in 88.

HELLYEAH that maple on white is hot! Cannot wait to hear how she is when you get her - as well as what you end up doing with her!

Looks awesome - this is what I was trying to find, a CE with a maple neck. Got a 93 CE24 with a rosewood board and the neck is nicely worn, top has been refinished in black but not fussed. But so jealous of this, I just bought a 91 Studio in white as well that is in players condition and has holes drilled in the top for Roland synth pickup :eek::oops::(. But I really wanted an older PRS... ;) I got pretty PRS's :D ... hmm rambling...:rolleyes:

Looks awesome - this is what I was trying to find, a CE with a maple neck. Got a 93 CE24 with a rosewood board and the neck is nicely worn, top has been refinished in black but not fussed. But so jealous of this, I just bought a 91 Studio in white as well that is in players condition and has holes drilled in the top for Roland synth pickup :eek::oops::(. But I really wanted an older PRS... ;) I got pretty PRS's :D ... hmm rambling...:rolleyes:

I also have a black 92 CE with an all maple neck, I had to drive four hours to pick it up.
Also convinced the guy to hold it for a week, pay a hundred bucks more, and take it of eBay. I probably paid more than it was worth, but I got it and really enjoye it.
I guess what I'm saying is, that if you want one you can't cheap out, or try to low ball.
The all maple neck CE 's are harder to find and people jump on them like crazy.
So if you see one, jump for it! They really do sound holy. But it's kinda hard to do find one you can try before you buy. Good luck man!

OK I really, really like that guitar. If you don't like it, you know, let me know ;)

Totally man, you'll be the first ;)

Congrats on a nice score! My first PRS was a CE24 in electric blue with a maple board and PRS Electric on the headstock. I bought it local in '91 - it cost me $600. I eventually traded it away for a nicer maple top CE. Of course I'm kicking myself now for selling it.

Congrats on a nice score! My first PRS was a CE24 in electric blue with a maple board and PRS Electric on the headstock. I bought it local in '91 - it cost me $600. I eventually traded it away for a nicer maple top CE. Of course I'm kicking myself now for selling it.
Man, electric blue is so killer looking - it's almost like a cobalt blue. I think besides the playability and sound of a CE, I like how prs makes solid colors. I love cool looking tops but solid paint jobs are so awesome.

That guitar is so dope. I wouldn't do nuthin' besides a good cleaning, setup and any functionality issues that need to be taken care of. Fuh......

Nice... if the frets are OK I would just get it setup and enjoy it... IIRC this should be perlescent white?

Back