1987 PRS Standard with Floyd Rose Pro

Chris Roberts

I just picked up this 1987 Standard locally here in San Diego. I thought I would ask if anyone knows anything about early PRS guitars with Floyd Rose tremolos. Were any factory installed or did the factory do after sale mods? I am also going to fix it up a bit so if anyone has a spare G string winged tuner they would sell or a complete used set please PM me.

Thanks!

40793418844_bb0ac03cde_c.jpg

40793419304_62bede00e8.jpg

Didn't these Floyd Pros come way after 1987? Also the routing for it looks to be trapezoid and not rectangular like the factory would do.
Looks really clean though and I love the color!

Also: Finding the exact same winged tuner would not be very easy, since yours have the small PRS logo on the wing which was only done for a short period of time... they are exactly the same as pre 1999 winged tuners with the shared D&G screw in functionality, but have this small PRS logo on the wings.

Good point on the date of the tremolo. Could not find an exact date for Floyd Rose Pro first being available but it was likely several years later.

That puppy looks rad and ready to shred!

I wouldn't fiddle with the wings. It's a Floyd, after all. I'd be inclined to put on a set of Schaller non-locking and just do a quick lock-wrap when restringing and let the Floyd do its thing.

That puppy looks rad and ready to shred!

I wouldn't fiddle with the wings. It's a Floyd, after all. I'd be inclined to put on a set of Schaller non-locking and just do a quick lock-wrap when restringing and let the Floyd do its thing.
Non lockers and put the ball end at the tuners

Non lockers and put the ball end at the tuners

That's what I do with Floyd Rose equipped guitars as well.

But there is something about the winged tuners that looks right on the PRS headstock regardless of the Floyd...

That's what I do with Floyd Rose equipped guitars as well.

But there is something about the winged tuners that looks right on the PRS headstock regardless of the Floyd...
I like it because if you leave a few wraps then when it breaks at the saddle just clip it unwind some string and reclamp it.

Back