1986 Custom 24

culray

I was given this guitar by my dad who allegedly bought this in the late 80s from a GC. Clearly its heavily modified. From what I can tell you it has EMG, locking tuners. The first knob (top to bottom) is volume, second is a push pull tone and third is the 5 way pick up rotary. I'm not exactly sure with the switches. The little one is a mid and high boost switch I think. I'm considering to send it to PRS for tune up and maybe a demod? Reason is that I don't like the tone and there's no clear clean tone. Thoughts?

https://imgur.com/a/NLlcMuP

That's a clean mod! Props to the person who did the work.

The middle pickup and extra mini-toggle holes have already taken their toll on its resale value. May as way make it a tone-monster and enjoy the heck out of it.

If it were mine, I'd send it to the PTC and have the active pickups replaced with some quality passive pickups. I'd use the pair of toggles for coil-splitting. I'd use the the other mini-toggle for a volume pot bypass (blow-switch). And I'd replace the tuners with original winged-tuners.

9Q4BsXP.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Culray, not sure if you are still monitoring this thread years later, but I am pretty sure that this is a PRS that I sold to Guitar Center in Chicago back in 1991. The mods were done by luthier Ed Reynolds. If you are ever interested in selling this instrument, I would be glad to buy it from you. Hope you are doing great, and look forward to hearing from you any time. Best regards, Pete Handley [email protected]

Back