1985 Revisited - New Version Of A Carcass Cover

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
About a month ago, I did a (really) rough version of "1985", the instrumental that opens the latest Carcass album (thanks again, jfb!). That thread, if you wish to torture yourself, is here - http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?9586-1985-Carcass-Cover.

I was never all that happy with it, but I wanted to get a sample of the Archon up - new amp and all. I did virtually no tweaking to the amp for that - set it once and pretty much left it as it was, with almost all the tone knobs at noon. The melody/harmony guitars didn't seem prominent enough - they sounded a bit thin. I suspected they were doubled or tripled. In addition, some of the bends were off, so I wanted to revisit it at some point.

So, over the last week or so, I re-recorded all the guitars at a very slightly slower tempo. Triple-tracked the other guitars. It made a big difference - I love it when I get something right like that.

Lots o' PRS goodness on this - the Archon on all the guitar tracks (this time tweaked a bit for each guitar), my SE-7 string playing the chord pads, Tremonti, 408 and DGT on the melody and harmony, with an EBMM Petrucci and a Les Paul sprinkled in.

Huge improvement, in my mind.

https://soundcloud.com/alantig/1985-2

As always, comments and suggestions most welcome!

Nice job Alan, that's a lot of work going in and triple tracking harmonies and such! It sounds to me like they actually use some type of harmonizer or pitch shifter(along with a bunch of other stuff) on the original track. I'm no expert on how to record and obtain that kind sound though. You're well on your way because it's sounding really good man! Something tells me you need to scoop some mids though. The Archon is very low mid heavy(why I like it). I think to get closer to the Carcass tone, the mids gotta be pretty low.

Thanks, Vaughn. I wasn't really chasing the Carcass tone, but I was trying to get the guitars as present as they are in the recorded version - they really seem to jump out there, and the single-tracked version just didn't cut it. I used at least two different guitars on each part - maybe using a single guitar would have focused in on a specific part of the spectrum a bit more.

I'm somewhat ashamed to say a harmonizer never occurred to me. Chorus and delay, yes, but not a harmonizer. May have to try that.

Carcass tone is attitude! You gotta be ready to bone saw skulls and chug!

Something tells me you need to scoop some mids though. The Archon is very low mid heavy(why I like it). I think to get closer to the Carcass tone, the mids gotta be pretty low.

Good call on this - I played around a little tonight w/the Tremonti (which I used) and the mids were up pretty high. I pulled them back a fair bit, and it did give the sound a bit of clarity w/o losing the heaviness. I hadn't tried that. It was not what I considered the typical "scooped mids" sound. Much more pleasing to my ears than what I thought of when I thought "scooped mids".

I'm still learnin'!!!

Back