1985 Guitars

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hello all,
I don't have my copy of The PRS Book handy, so I hoped perhaps some of you might have the information. How many guitars did PRS make in 1985? If memory serves, I think it was about 400? Does anyone have an estimate of the percentages of Custom vs. Pre-Standards? Any idea how many of each color? What are the current prices?
Thanks,
Brad

"A little more than 400" is my understanding as well.

I have no hard evidence for actual production numbers and it's well established that the company doesn't release that kind of data (if they have it). It seems like most guys that popped for a custom back in those days also opted for birds. Conversely, it seems like the pre-standards usually had moons. Since I prefer the sound of the pre-standards over the customs, finding one with birds is far more desirable to me but the market has clearly favored the Customs - especially in Vintage Yellow. If I ever run across a clean Fire Red '85 with birds and a dark fretboard, I'll probably sell a kidney to bring it home. It would be interesting to see some validated data regarding production numbers, that's for sure. Maybe Steiner can weigh-in. He's collected a lot of data.

Regarding pricing, it's all over the board right now so who knows. Numbers have been highly dependent on the guitar, it's condition, it's legend among those of us who collect them, the reputation of the seller, and the buyer's GAS problem. I've seen molested and worn '85's sell for chump-change and heard rumors of clean ones selling in the mid 30's (US Dollars).

Last edited:
I believe the production number's for `85 are in the 400 something range. I know a fellow that has a low 500 pre-Standard that has a serial that starts with 5 in the cavity but 6 on the headstock with the same sequential number following. If I remember right it's like number 507 or there about. I have no clue as to how many of each model were made. This is the perfect time to create a registry to file all PRS guitar serial numbers.

An Emerald Green 86 Custom I used to own was the same way. First number in the pickup cavity was a 5, then the was written over with a 6. The headstock serial number starts with 6.

I believe the production number's for `85 are in the 400 something range. I know a fellow that has a low 500 pre-Standard that has a serial that starts with 5 in the cavity but 6 on the headstock with the same sequential number following. If I remember right it's like number 507 or there about. I have no clue as to how many of each model were made. This is the perfect time to create a registry to file all PRS guitar serial numbers.

Last edited:
Back