1984 Pre Factory Curly Maple Top Santana!

I acquired 3 last year when the BRW fretboard window opened briefly. Black as ebony, too.

I gotta start using the word "aquired" when referring to new guitars...yeah, it would probably have a little less "sting" than..."hey Red...I just "relieved"the bank account of some more cash for another guitar...again."o_O

Yeah, "aquired" sounds much safer...;)

Interesting! Any difference between the 59’s and the current reissues acoustically? The acoustic tone is what I really care about.

I was shaking too much to notice. :confused::oops: I was also told not to touch the tuners which were all yellowed and cracking badly. They looked like they would crumble.

As a side note, Eddie’s Frankenstein actually played nice (but a helluva lot nicer for Eddie!).

Last edited:
I was shaking too much to notice. :confused::oops: I was also told not to touch the tuners which were all yellowed and cracking badly. They looked like they would crumble.

As a side note, Eddie’s Frankenstein actually played nice (but a helluva lot nicer for Eddie!).
LOL sounds like being with a mega celebrity. “Whatever you do, don’t ask about THAT incident!”

I saw Bernie Marsden’s video with Andersons where he demo’d his 59 aka the beast. That guitar sounded really great. You could hear such a strong wood quality in the tone, like an electric cello or something. He mentioned to the effect that it was the one 58/59/60 Les Paul that really impressed him.

I also know that they use genuine Mahogany (Honduran) (Swietenia Macrophylla), even today with the reissues. Can’t help wondering, given what I’ve learnt and noticed, if that is the magic ingredient.
I gotta start using the word "aquired" when referring to new guitars...yeah, it would probably have a little less "sting" than..."hey Red...I just "relieved"the bank account of some more cash for another guitar...again."o_O

Yeah, "aquired" sounds much safer...;)
LOL!!

LOL sounds like being with a mega celebrity. “Whatever you do, don’t ask about THAT incident!”

I saw Bernie Marsden’s video with Andersons where he demo’d his 59 aka the beast. That guitar sounded really great. You could hear such a strong wood quality in the tone, like an electric cello or something. He mentioned to the effect that it was the one 58/59/60 Les Paul that really impressed him.

I also know that they use genuine Mahogany (Honduran) (Swietenia Macrophylla), even today with the reissues. Can’t help wondering, given what I’ve learnt and noticed, if that is the magic ingredient.

LOL!!
I think there is something sonically with Honduran (South American) Mahogany and the body thickness. I stopped my PS build because I had a panic attack over the African hog versus SA hog! Eventually decided to go back to the original African hog due to weight requirements. For PRS SCs, I find the key is pairing them up with a Braz neck - tone wise brings their SCs closer to the classic LP low/mid push but still have those sweet highs and clear mids. My Huber Orca has it with Spanish Cedar which sonically is supposed to be very similar to old growth Honduran Mahogany- sounded authentic to my ears (the not so great variety). That said, I don’t currently own an LP (had a Class 5 and an AL LP in the past), but have been tempted but the recent R9s.

Wait...is that @markie s infamous basement?
The secret to Markie’s basement is Pizza King!
pizzaking.jpg

This is a good video that compares old and new back to back. I have to say, 90% similarity but Bernie’s beast has an extra woody baritone element to it. I think it’s really the individual guitar lottery. I must say though, the SE Bernie has some of that quality and that’s just so mind blowing.

It is unquestionably the best pizza at Markie’s.

The best Indiana pizza is at Boogie’s though.
I didn't realize I am among fellow Hoosiers! I live in Greenfield. And I would have to say that Mozzie's is pretty damn good pizza.

This is a good video that compares old and new back to back. I have to say, 90% similarity but Bernie’s beast has an extra woody baritone element to it. I think it’s really the individual guitar lottery. I must say though, the SE Bernie has some of that quality and that’s just so mind blowing.
That ‘woody baritone’ is what I call the push in the lower mids. But still need to retain the clarity and sweetness in the highs!

The people in the hole would beg to differ....o_O

Sorry, It couldn't be helped...:confused:
Hey, I knew what I meant - ask me again! :D

Erhmm...

A nice room to spend one’s leisure portion of their lifetime in -better? ;) Since it’s a room, you can always leave - not in the Hotel California sense either :)

Back