1983 Clip - Have some questions...please

Jedi

Ok guys, this is the first time I have seen this clip of Paul live in 1983. Sounds fantastic, both playing and tone. I have a few questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=305&v=7tuV78qL2yk

-What amp was Paul using at this time? Sounds like a Marshall....
-I remember the guitar from some article back in the 80s, what was the scale length?
-How different is the construction, electronics and carve/contours on this guitar different from today's guitars?
-That tone he is getting is near perfect in my mind for humbucker tone, (and hear it from other guitar/Marshall combos) it may be me but to my ears the factory built guitars do not sound like that...why? (Besides that its Paul's hands in the clip)
-The tones from most PRS guitars to my ears take a much more modern slant except for the DGT, which I do own. What's the deal, was it a conscious choice to get away from that classic tone?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

Wow... Paul was quite the player back then. Thanks for sharing.

Wow....no comments from the PRS experts? Everyone must be outside enjoying the weather. :)

Awesome playing and his sound is just perfect. Sounds like a Trainwreck Express (the mids and gain). But, in '83 Ken had just built a few EL-84 amps, so it can't be, or...

Jedi, One thing I note is that the guitar Paul is playing seems to be an all mahogany standard double cutaway with a stop tail and (who knows but I'll speculate) a 24.5" scale. There isn't anything in the lineup that resembles this that I know of and that may be why the current models don't sound like this guitar too you.

Jedi, One thing I note is that the guitar Paul is playing seems to be an all mahogany standard double cutaway with a stop tail and (who knows but I'll speculate) a 24.5" scale. There isn't anything in the lineup that resembles this that I know of and that may be why the current models don't sound like this guitar too you.

Thanks Cat....that makes sense. What pickups was Paul using at that time...old Gibson PAFs?

Back