1982 called and wants it PRS back.

justmund

Plank Spanker
In the spirit of Sergio's time machine thread, this is my own take on what I'd special order in 1982.

Mine would have 3 pickups obviously, and because I dig 'em, I'd take back Paul a set of Narrowfields to put in a guitar for me. Now because they're a funky size, I thought I'd get him to make up some sweet wooden covers for them.

Like Sergio's KL, this one has an unplated 1980-spec MannMade trem, and I've installed some very period incorrect lampshades.

Anyway, on to the pics! If you can't see the pics, click here (plus there's a couple of bonus pics in there not in this thread) :)

25858055751_8b28d6fb70_b.jpg

25858067861_56a19fb642_b.jpg

25927702676_19a3752909_b.jpg
25853256311_6308fcdc9f_b.jpg

25319468673_112c5dea5b_b.jpg

Edit - Added a link to the Flickr album in case pics weren't showing

Last edited:
Too effin' hip. I never even heard of 57/08 narrowfields before. How do you dial in the height of the middle pickup?

C'mon dude, yer killin' me! It's 5:15 in the freakin' morning in Chicago, and now I gotta go change my shorts already! Tots magoo my man. Off the chains b!tchin'!!!!!!!!!

I thought I was a freshman at Purdue thumbing thru a Guitar Player magazine. :eek: So much great wood.

Where's the serial number?

Thanks guys! I need to get some time now to spend playing it, I've been too busy getting my SAS \m/ sorted out!

Too effin' hip. I never even heard of 57/08 narrowfields before. How do you dial in the height of the middle pickup?

All NFs are 57/08s, they are basically 57/08s but in a narrow format.

The pickups are mounted with springs under the screws, so you screw in to lower, and screw out to raise. I've tried to dial in the middle pickup for maximum spank in the 2-4 positions.

I'm totally geeking out over this one, Justin.

What a cool guitar!

Thanks Hans! I was saying to Sergio the other day if it wasn't for dudes like him, you, Bodia etc, I wouldn't do half the stuff that I do. It's not about who wins the "I have the coolest guitar" contest (we know you win that one several times over anyway), it's about sharing a love for creating stuff like this.

C'mon dude, yer killin' me! It's 5:15 in the freakin' morning in Chicago, and now I gotta go change my shorts already! Tots magoo my man. Off the chains b!tchin'!!!!!!!!!

Haha disturbing mental picture, but awesome!

I thought I was a freshman at Purdue thumbing thru a Guitar Player magazine. :eek: So much great wood.

Where's the serial number?

This put a smile on my dial!

No serial number, no MODCAT, this one is from 1982 remember? ;)

But seriously, it's a Proto, and has no serial...

I am easily responsible for at least 20 of the views on this thread (and counting). It really looks fantastic.

I'm curious how well the NF pickups work through the wood caps. Is the tone warmer/cleaner? Is there any gap between the top of the pup and the inside of the cap? Did you leave the 500K volume pot in place or swap it out for a 1 Meg?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

I am easily responsible for at least 20 of the views on this thread (and counting). It really looks fantastic.

I'm curious how well the NF pickups work through the wood caps. Is the tone warmer/cleaner? Is there any gap between the top of the pup and the inside of the cap? Did you leave the 500K volume pot in place or swap it out for a 1 Meg?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)
I doubt there's any effect, as per above post. The tone is a warmer, but of course they were pulled from a SAS so that's a given!

There is no gap between the bobbins and the inside of the caps, I got a luthier to make them up and he CNC routed out the insides to match the stepped (radius) profile of the NFs perfectly.

I basically pulled everything out of the SAS NF and installed it in this one, the original wiring had obviously seen a few changes so I wanted to make sure the NFs were paired up with the electronics they were "supposed" to be paired with.

This is wonderful! My most sincere congratulations (and I am going to write the same on the SAS thread)
You forgot to tell us which tonewood has been used for the covers ;) Would it sound darker with rosewood ones? :rolleyes:

That is freaking gorgeous and so damned creative! Most mods are functional for the owner, but yours look like they were part of the original design of the guitar.

Lovely, lovely stuff.

So how did you pose the guitar on concrete and rocks without managing to ding it up?

Back