1957/2008 McCarty...I think I'm in trouble here

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
I stumbled across a used 1957/2008 today hung high on a wall at GC. Good condition, one very small ding on the top near the neck pickup. Blueberry quilt. Now, I'm not real big on that color, but this one has faded and I love how it looks. I forgot these were nitro(many are way too sticky feeling for me)...in fact, I never would've guessed by playing it...so let's get to that...

The guitar played great, sounded great at moderately lowish volumes. Played it through a Mesa Royal Atlantic head/Marshall cab. The thing that kind of struck me was that I just wanted to sit there and keep playing it. That doesn't happen to me all the time - ESPECIALLY at a relatively noisy music store. I typically hate playing at stores unless there's a "boom room". I like to be somewhere without distraction that I can be semi loud. I really just wanted to sit there and keep playing it. I've played several McCarty's with 57/08's so I am familiar with them. This is my first go with the non-etched version...they sounded great. It was too loud in store to hear any discernible difference from my newer etched/TM'd versions though. So "my guy" said they would do a 60 day/cash down layaway on it for me and if I decided between now and then I didn't want it, just to let him know and it would be all good either way. Maybe that's a norm GC thing that they do or maybe not, but it took me by surprise a little bit. He took it back, wiped it down, cased it in the back and gave me a receipt So I left with a euphoric feeling because I felt an instant bond there while playing it. I usually go through a somewhat longer process before I say that. But it seemed there right away. I will go back and give it another go before/if I buy, I'm sure.

So on with my questions:
1)Peruvian mahogany neck...is there something special that made PRS use this particular mahogany for this model? Any noticeable difference from the normal, run-of-the-mill(pun intended) mahogany used? I know all pieces of wood are different, but...

2)Did many blueberry finishes fade? Doesn't matter either way because I love how it looks, just curious.

3)Do I need another McCarty???????
I've been looking for another guitar, but I have 2 McCarty standards(one with 5708's). I was really more looking for a p22 for my next guitar. I usually can't do more than 1 guitar per year.

So, help me justify. Talk me in or out of it. What would YOU do?

Some pics:
8232848941_8f6b2f0cd1_b.jpg

8233911754_4d9d3a1bb1_b.jpg

That guitar is absolutely gorgeous and you seem to have had an instant bond with it... Go for it...

That's a KILLER looking one, and if it's sounding 1/2 as good as it looks, you know what you need to do....

What is the difference between the hand signed/#'d and those that are not(other than the obvious sig/#)?

If you felt an instant bond then that's a good sign. If you do still have that feeling when you go back then get it or you may always have that feeling of 'The On That Got Away'.

Very nice looking guitar! (Quite like the Daphne Blue Strat in the background too... Cough... Cough! ;) )

magic is NOT to be denied...
go back, play it, and if the feeling is the same, buy it, and never let it go...

I stumbled across a used 1957/2008 today hung high on a wall at GC. Good condition, one very small ding on the top near the neck pickup. Blueberry quilt. Now, I'm not real big on that color, but this one has faded and I love how it looks. I forgot these were nitro(many are way too sticky feeling for me)...in fact, I never would've guessed by playing it...

I'm pretty sure they're NOT nitro, just the regular pre-V12 acrylic finish.

As others have said, if it spoke to you grab it!

Great looking guitar.
Peruvian mahogany is a very nice neck. I believe it was first used on the dirty 100. It got me over an obsession with getting a spare Brazilian necked guitar. I liked it enough that I got another one. Both have rosewood fingerboards and are great sounding and playing instruments.

I have #2/150, that has barely faded at all. Pretty sure it's not nitro, though...

Funny, mine (and my 57/08 SC, #11/150) have shiny pup covers...

336733940.jpg

336733946.jpg

381666937.jpg

Both are great guitars, but I'm thinking of trading the SC for a SC Ted...

Jamie

I'm pretty sure they're NOT nitro, just the regular pre-V12 acrylic finish.

As others have said, if it spoke to you grab it!
Well that would explain why I liked how it felt then:)

Great looking guitar.
Peruvian mahogany is a very nice neck. I believe it was first used on the dirty 100. It got me over an obsession with getting a spare Brazilian necked guitar. I liked it enough that I got another one. Both have rosewood fingerboards and are great sounding and playing instruments.
I'm curious if the Peruvian is just on the signed/#'d ones or all of them?
Pull the trigger or I will ;)

Already found it too. Nice price.
Don't think they'd ship it to ya now, their stuff always shows up on the website even after it's purchased.

I have #2/150, that has barely faded at all. Pretty sure it's not nitro, though...

Funny, mine (and my 57/08 SC, #11/150) have shiny pup covers...

Both are great guitars, but I'm thinking of trading the SC for a SC Ted...

Jamie
Those are both beauties Jaime! A Ted would be a good trade up, I think.

Last edited:
So on with my questions:
1)Peruvian mahogany neck...is there something special that made PRS use this particular mahogany for this model? Any noticeable difference from the normal, run-of-the-mill(pun intended) mahogany used? I know all pieces of wood are different, but...

I don't pretend to be a wood expert, but here is my experience with Peruvian Mahogany necks:

I have one on my Artist V, and my Tonare Grand also came with one. Since we're talking electric guitars, the Artist V is the most vibrant and responsive electric guitar I've ever owned. Moments after I played the first few notes I knew I'd found my #1.

I've had quite a number of PRS electrics, including RW necks, mahogany and maple necks. The A-V still blows me away every time I pick it up. Maybe I just got a great one, but I prefer it to the IRW and BRW necked guitars I've owned/played.

I posted many times about the Tonare's wonderful tone also.

I realize that based on this insignificant sample size it's impossible to truly generalize. I'm just sharing my own experience.

Last edited:
Les - yes, that's all I'm looking for. Like I said, every piece of wood is obviously different so where it comes from isn't important to me. It either resonates or it doesn't. Still, I'm curious why PRS chose that specific hog and whether it was used the entire run or just the signed 150.

The Peruvian neck should close the real for you bro....
They feel THE BEST imho.....of any if the mahogany varieties...

The Peruvian neck should close the real for you bro....
They feel THE BEST imho.....of any if the mahogany varieties...
Feel the best how??? They're almost all finished besides the satin models.

Back