1400 dollar guitar should come with a hard shell case am I alone in this

Just my luck. The first bag I clicked on was $900.00. hahaha I have great taste!

You can order a PRS gig bag that says PRS (not SE) on it from GC or anyother retailer. I have one.

Well, what can I say? Somebody very well known to all of us is travelling around the whole wide world with his very special guitar in just an old red SE gigbag.
Together with his passport, his vitamins, his keys and so on ;-)

So let me see if I understand this correctly... The one guy in this world who has an unlimited supply of free guitars and his own private parking space at the PRS factory, uses a gig bag, and so I should therefore use a gig bag instead of a hard shell case without any concern over the possibility of my guitar (which came to me at great expense and personal sacrifice) getting damaged. Is that about the size of it?

hahahaha I'm just being silly. I see a lot of musicians using gig bags and playing beat up guitars, which there is nothing wrong with. I don't have any problem getting any one of my $3000.00 PRS guitars beat up as long as it happens as a result of my playing the guitars and (eventually) performing in front of people. I am kinda tired of the hard shell case taking up so much space in my vehicle and would like to consider using gig bags and see how it goes.

I am kinda tired of the hard shell case taking up so much space in my vehicle and would like to consider using gig bags and see how it goes.

I'm pretty fussy about my PRSes, and keep them in the hard cases when not being played, with one exception: I find it a more difficult traveling with the hard cases!

Over a ten year period, I had no damage, not even a scratch, with the Reunion Blues leather cases for travel. They have a firm (not hard) type of foam, that's more resilient and difficult to fully compress than the foam that I found with, say, the Levy's leather cases (had a couple of those, too).

Thick leather, of course, has its own protective properties (think of how your leather shoes protect your toes).

The new RB continental bags are no doubt even more protective, but I'd stick with leather just because I'm into leather (cue Woody Allen schoolroom scene from Annie Hall).

The thing about a gig bag is that it's designed to be kept close to you, where it's less likely to absorb bruises and bumps. I would obviously not check it at the airport, but I wouldn't check a hard case either, unless it's an ATA hard case. I wouldn't leave it unattended, but I wouldn't leave a hard case unattended either.

A gig bag won't buffer temperature and humidity extremes as well as a hard case, and there's a somewhat greater exposure to risk. But for travel, and especially short hops to a gig, it's about all I can handle. So for a short trip up to a few days, I am willing to take that increased risk. For a longer trip, I think I'd take the hard case. The key is to get a good bag if you're going to use a bag.

One more option exists that I'd be willing to go with, but it's expensive: a carbon fiber fitted case like this:

http://carbonfibercases.com/Guitar_Cases_83DG.html

These are custom fitted and very light weight. They are more protective than a wooden hard case, as they are virtually indestructible and waterproof. I'd love to have one, but they're a cool thousand bucks. If I traveled more, it'd be worth having one for my electrics and one for my acoustic. But...

Last edited:
Won't speak for any brand other than PRS but most dealers offer the Hardshell Multi Fit Case at a discount as a package.
Just going that route would be my suggestion...and is what I do when I purchase a gig bag only instrument.

So let me see if I understand this correctly... The one guy in this world who has an unlimited supply of free guitars and his own private parking space at the PRS factory, uses a gig bag, and so I should therefore use a gig bag instead of a hard shell case without any concern over the possibility of my guitar (which came to me at great expense and personal sacrifice) getting damaged. Is that about the size of it?

hahahaha I'm just being silly.

At one point, he was evidently traveling all across the country...with a Dragon in a gig bag.

Nothing wrong with a good bag. I play guitar and lapsteel, and usually take at two guitars and one lapsteel to every gig. There's no way I'm hauling three cases. I use a double bag for two guitars (including at least one SC Hollowbody) and a custom bag for the lapsteel.

As for the OP: don't be silly.

Just buy from a certain large chain store and you apparently won't need to worry about what type of case you get! It won't come with ANY case. :laugh: Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'd really like one of those mono dual case bags. Tired of hauling multiple hard shells to practice.

Would it be nice? Sure. I guess I'd rather keep a high quality USA PRS on the market at a nice price point and sacrifice on the case rather than on the guitar itself.

When I spend £1,000 on a guitar I do want a hard case, so I budget for one…which is how I ended up with my Taylor T5 Standard as opposed to the T5 Classic. The Taylor T5 Classic comes with a gig bag, and the Standard comes in a case. A Taylor case would set me back about £200 (as would a PRS case), so I thought I might as well go for that little bit more and get something higher spec and comes with a case. As the difference in price between a classic to a standard is hundreds (£1300 to £1800), not a thousand pound more. Generally Taylor guitars are the same though, you need to get into the 300 series before you get a case and the 300 series starts at £1350 here, around $2,000. Anything under that is gig bag only. I do know that some guitars at £500 comes with a hard case but in my opinion those guitars are not built as well as a Taylor or PRS.

I want a ZM SE or a Mira next, but neither come with a case but both are like £1,000 less than a core PRS so in that regard it makes more sense to have the Mira priced where it is, then it is up to you whether you want to buy a case.

Where do I find a very high end gig bag that I can purchase? Any brand name recommendations from you gigging musicians out there?

I'm not a gigging musician but I've been using these guys for several years. http://accessbagsandcases.com/index.html My daughter has been toting her Mira around for six years in a Stage One bag and I use an older version of the Stage Five bag for all my solid bodies, including Private Stock. Access does alot of OEM work and used to make the PRS gig bags, the PRS accessory bag and (they may still make) all Martin Guitars bags and cases.

I'm not a gigging musician but I've been using these guys for several years. http://accessbagsandcases.com/index.html My daughter has been toting her Mira around for six years in a Stage One bag and I use an older version of the Stage Five bag for all my solid bodies, including Private Stock. Access does alot of OEM work and used to make the PRS gig bags, the PRS accessory bag and (they may still make) all Martin Guitars bags and cases.

Cool!

I just noticed that my S2 Mira only has one little screw holding the truss rod cover in place. For the price I'd have expected at least two if not three.

I just noticed that my S2 Mira only has one little screw holding the truss rod cover in place. For the price I'd have expected at least two if not three.

It's just decoration and it isn't going to fall off. It provides no structural integrity to the instrument and it has no effect on tone. Just decoration, that's all.

I've seen a lot of Les Paul players remove theirs and leave them off and most Fender's I've seen don't even come with one.

should come with a hard case at that price you should get a hard case

Oy vey... Again with this oft-repeated subject.

In a nutshell, my position is as follows: You find a guitar you want, you are either happy with its features INCLUDING whether or not the price includes a case or gigbag, and you either buy it because you're happy with the deal, or you pass on it because you are not happy with the deal. End of story.

Goldtop

Last edited:
EDIT: I should mention this... for the second time at this particular bar, as we were setting up a fight broke out. Last time I set up the powered speaker we were using as a stage monitor, turned my back and an instant later a body went flying on top of it, having just been punched at the bar. This time, someone got punched and went head first into the drummer's road case. My gig bagged guitars were close by and I grabbed them and moved them away from the fighting. I was a little worried about them being in gig bags around flying bodies. So there's that.

That's just awesome!!!

I cannot get pass the fact that they didn't carve the belly cut to match my abs of steel.

Hey, I did work hard for them. Watching those P90X and Insanity commercials takes effort.

Back