1400 dollar guitar should come with a hard shell case am I alone in this

If it was advertised as coming with a hard case at that price, then I'm with you. If it was advertised as coming with a gig bag at that price, then no. I guess it could always be a $1500 guitar and have a hard case instead.

Last edited:
I have no problem with a gig bag as long as it's a pretty good gig bag and the guitar is better than one that came with a hard case for the same price.
At this point I prefer to pick out a case based on current needs rather than get one that will just spend time in the attic. In the late 70's and early 80's when I was playing out a lot and traveling I had a heavy road case for my LP, but these days for getting my guitars someplace for some jamming, recording and the occasional casual gig a well padded bag is just fine. And easier on my back and car.

Last edited:
Watch 20 full time gigging musicians...18 of them will bring their guitars in a gig bag. If they have cases they are at home not getting beat up. Nothing wrong with a good bag.

Why just a $1400 guitar? Why not a $1000 guitar? Or a $500 guitar? How about a $100 guitar?

The answer is the same for all of them. The manufacturer is trying to sell a product with a specified level of quality at a specified price point. If you add a case, the price goes up or the quality comes down, regardless of the price-point.

It doesn't matter which market the guitar is targeting, someone will always want more for less. That's why competition is so important. If you can get what you want from someone else for less money, get after it.

A hard shell case adds at least $100.00 to the price of the guitar. Cases aren't free and someone is going to have to pay for them (that means you). The main purpose of having the S2 line is for you to save money on the cost of the guitar. I think a lot of S2 buyers would prefer to save a hundred or more dollars on the guitar and then fend for themselves on the case or gig bag.

I'm happy to have a US made PRS regardless of the case. I'm happy to help a US company that's still led by its founder. I'm happy to help keep US jobs humming along as long as I get a great product in return. And at the end of the day, I know my $1179 US made, job supporting S2 Mira blows the doors off the $1800 Les Paul Trad that I sampled the other day. My S2 is better in every way. Quality, playability, tone, looks -- You name it. Sure the two guitars are different in terms of configuration, but the quality on that Gibson is embarrassing. My Gibson itch just got scratched -- by a PRS.

Oh and this IS a PRS forum, so don't expect a lot of empathy for your first post This is Paul's party, so don't be puttin' out your Kool's on his persian rug. It's from Persia!

sorry, but their isn't any way in hell i'm putting one of my usa PRS'S in a gig bag!

Paul does!

Personally, I'd always use a gig bag.. Unless I think the guitar is going into an environment that needs / requires better protection. I'd use a PRS or other quality gig bag to take US PRS's out to gig (Only have SE's at the mo) although if I had a private stock that may be different,,, Probably wouldn't leave the house!

As stated, it's a bout keeping the costs down whilst making the best guitar possible in a certain price point.

You can have a case with your (S2 I presume) but the price goes up... And then folks complain about the price! No win!

I've traveled for gigs as far as Europe with my USA models in leather Reunion Blues bags and the leather PRS bags the PRS store used to sell, since the 90s.

I don't have any gig bags currently, but I always felt that they were very protective of the guitars, and of course, much easier to travel with.

Meh. A gig bag is just fine for me when it comes to a solid body guitar. Something to keep the dust off and to keep it from getting banged up when I move it from A to B. If you're chucking it in a trailer or on a plane to tour, you're much better off investing in a good flight case anyway. But going out in my car for a gig or a jam, those big rectangle hard shells are just a pain in the butt to me.

My Hollowbody II does travel in its hardshell. It's a shaped case, so that takes away the annoying bulk of a rectangle case. My acoustic travels in a hardshell.

You are not alone. Although I understand the cost savings issue, and the preferance by some of a gig bag, I expect a good hard shell case to come with every guitar. Just seems appropriate to me, like a whammy bar for the trem. A good instrument should come with a good case, and all of the parts that make it operate correctly.

Back