14 Heritage Guitar Workers off the job as company heads in new direction

Heritage? ....... hmmmm ....... I can't recall knowing, hearing, or reading about anybody of note playing any of their instruments ..........

.............. ever.

Quite a few actually, Johnny Smith, Gary Moore, Kenny Burrell, Roy Clark, and several others.

I was just there yesterday and they aren’t bringing in CNC machines though it is true that they let 14 people go.
Are you sayign the plan is to continue with hand carved bodies? I was hoping for CNC's for the rough out work.

Last edited:
The hopeless optimist in me was hoping that I would read in that article that Gibson was planning to end the reign of King Henry and move its operations back to the Kalamazoo factory that Heritage has been in since 1984 but I was wrong. I remember playing a Heritage Les Paul copy (H-250, I believe it was called) and it sounded ok but it played really clunky. The frets weren't quite finished, the finish was rather ho-hum and the tuners were pure crap, couldn't hold tuning for squat. But then again, compared to the Gibbys of the past few years, what else was new lol

The people who were let go say that CNC is on its way. Ren Wall who started there with Gibson in 1960 told me yesterday that they’re not going CNC but they do now have a Plek machine. I felt like those stories of Paul meeting Ted McCarty hanging out with Ren at 225 Parsons yesterday.

As far as Gibson goes, Heritage is bringing on Ed Wilson who was the head of the Gibson Custom Shop until Henry recently fired him.

If you’re not familiar with Ren:

Last edited:
I think they should carve the bodies with the CNC's (personal opinion I know), and do the details with labor. I'm not sure a PLEK us needed but if they feel it is, go for it.

It pains me to read of their troubles. I was based in that part of Michigan for several years, and at the time they had a strong local following. Lots of happy customers sporting nice quality pieces.

All the industry troubles big and small really drive home the difficulty involved in just staying afloat sometimes, let alone producing consistent quality over time.

Any of those craftsmen willing to move to Maryland...I hear Paul is always looking for really TALENTED people...It’s warmer there too‼️

Back