13-year old girl ROCKING ERUPTION WITH A PRS AT SUNSET SOUND!!!!

ViperDoc

Plugged In.
Many of you may be aware of Warren Huart's Youtube channel called "Produce Like A Pro". I've been watching it over the last year and have learned immense knowledge about recording. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

So tonight I stumbled upon a series of videos that chronicle the re-recording of the Van Halen One album by a bunch of incredibly talented kids AT SUNSET SOUND, the studio where the album was originally recorded. The whole process was reproduced as close to the original as is conceivably possible (same guitar amp and cab in the same room with the same reverb chamber...holy cows)...with of course, one exception.

The guitarist who played Eruption played what appears to be a PRS S2. And she SHREDS. It sounds so good, I just about cried. I mean, cranking to TEN in the SAME STUDIO???!!???!!??!!??!!? WITH AN "S2 BOOST"?????

CHECK THIS OUT!!!!

There are so many things that "got me" about this video, this kid's playing not the least among them. But I have to say, at the end of the solo take, you can hear the EXACT reverb decay that the Sunset Sound reverb chamber gives to Eddie's take on the original album. It's turned up completely on that Plexi and when the volume is rolled of, you hear this hair-drying reverb wash from space, it's just ... just... so REAL!!!

She's not bad. I'm more into the tones than the playing. When she starting playing and I was thinking the same things ViperDoc said... that's NAILING some of the tonal aspects of the original. VERY COOL!

I'd sure like to take a go at that with my Wolfie! I'm not 13 though, although my wife says often that I act like a 12 year old.

(Edited upon notice of using the initials “VD” ) :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
This greatly appeases my inner =\//-/= nerd.

Where was all this cool stuff when I was a kid?

MINE TOO!

It was in the future...I thought the party in 1999 would be cooler than the song...it wasn't. So at least something in the future was cool...I'll take it. Besides not much was/is as cool as a Prince song...just sayin.

What's even more impressive to me is that she did it in one take. You can hear in the original where they cut in and out between a few of the different phrases. Not that EVH needed a bunch of tries to get it right, just that he didn't bother to go back and record it in one pass. And no doubt it's easier to recreate something than create it to begin with, but man she is good. And just goes to show how much the room, and also in this case unique reverb, can make in nailing a tone.

There's a 13-year-old boy who does it with a Fender, but I liked that girl's tone -- with the S2 -- much better. Bravo the PRS S2 Standard!

Back