12 Amp comparison by Tim Pierce

Oops, just saw that Les already posted this vid in his Grail thread.

IGNORE ME!

It deserves its own thread!! I thought it was pretty interesting.

Also, I was wondering about the black PRS amp during past videos, since it looked to be a DG of some kind, but wasn’t in DG livery. Interesting that it’s the 50 Watt version!

Gotta hand it to Tim Pierce - A pile o’ amps all within arm’s reach, the switchers, the cabinets in the garage in a soundproof whatsamajig, and a pile of preamps and other outboard recording gear.

I’ve tried doing something like it in my studio, but I never got it quite right. A big problem for me is that I like to use different mics, move them around, hear the cabinet in the room with the amp, etc. Also, there wasn’t room for keyboards in my setup. I finally gave up. But if all I played was guitar, I’d do a modified version of that kind of rAMParts!

Last edited:
Gotta hand it to Tim Pierce - A pile o’ amps all within arm’s reach, the switchers, the cabinets in the garage in a soundproof whatsamajig, and a pile of preamps and other outboard recording gear.

It always looks very claustrophobic. Its no wonder that Tim calls it his cockpit, although looks far more complex than a Jumbo Jet's cockpit with all the buttons, switches etc. I really enjoy all of his video's and someone I think that guitarists really ought to subscribe to...

A big problem for me is that I like to use different mics, move them around, hear the cabinet in the room with the amp, etc.

Yeah, It doesn't seem like there's 1 ideal mic position for every occasion, he does seem to have an array of different arrangements and cabs mixed though, perhaps he gets 'close enough' for his sound.

That Pedal Show also recently did an episode showing that even with close mic you get room sound, and that room can't sound great...

It always looks very claustrophobic. Its no wonder that Tim calls it his cockpit, although looks far more complex than a Jumbo Jet's cockpit with all the buttons, switches etc. I really enjoy all of his video's and someone I think that guitarists really ought to subscribe to...

I suspect it looks more claustrophobic due to the fisheye lens he uses. I kinda wish he would just use a wide prime instead.

Cool video! I’m surprised he didn’t have the PRS 25th anniversary amp in there - that video of his pushed me over the edge to buy the HXDA combo. If it wasn’t for my ridiculously low SPL requiments I’d still have it! :mad:

Though I did like the sounds out of that Park and Matchless quite a bit. :)

Anyone try his Masterclass videos?

Has he ever showed haus cab room?

Yes, a number of times. It isn’t a room, it’s a big plywood isolation box in his garage. I think there’s some sound insulation tacked up, a couple of cabs, and mics on stands.

It’s a cool concept, and I have a hard time saying a real room would sound better, since he is, after all, Tim Effing Pierce! ;)

You have to like a man that can entertain himself! Park 18 for me. I really liked the Matchless also. The DG50 sounded like he really needed to cut the bass knob back. Bottom was way too loose. Surely that was not a great representation of it. Maybe he was past the SWEET SPOT!

Having tried to set something inspired by that up at my own place - amps and processors within arm’s reach, with just enough space to play the guitar and roll the chair around to mess with the controls - I couldn’t get comfortable.

It really was a little claustrophobic.

I kept banging the guitar into tables and gear, and there was no room for my other instruments (keyboards). Plus I had speaker wires running everywhere, and my pedalboard under foot and in the way when not needed. My conclusion was that his setup is exactly suited to his needs, but isn’t ergonomic for me.

As it is, my main controller keyboard is set up so I can get to it by turning my chair about 90 degrees, but there’s very little room when I play the guitar sitting at the workstation when recording. When I move the keyboard further out so that’s easier, I wind up having it too far away when I’m composing on keys.

I have a keyboard stand that was originally designed for my old place, where I had one of my main keyboards on the top surface, and a pull-out drawer for one of my smaller keyboards. My main controller was on a third stand, with rack spaces off to the left, and the setup more or less wrapped around me; however a lot more “moving around” space was designed into the floor plan, and my mixing console was at the other end.

Unfortunately, I’ve learned that to take advantage of the space in a particular room, something designed for a different room isn’t the greatest fit. The problem is that my furniture was built really, really well 20 years ago, and it’s still like new, looks great, etc., and I can’t bear to get rid of it.

You have to like a man that can entertain himself! Park 18 for me. I really liked the Matchless also. The DG50 sounded like he really needed to cut the bass knob back. Bottom was way too loose. Surely that was not a great representation of it. Maybe he was past the SWEET SPOT!

Mitch is killin it with the park amps. the 18 is brilliant, as is the Park75 and the 45/100.

Having tried to set something inspired by that up at my own place - amps and processors within arm’s reach, with just enough space to play the guitar and roll the chair around to mess with the controls - I couldn’t get comfortable.

It really was a little claustrophobic.

I kept banging the guitar into tables and gear, and there was no room for my other instruments (keyboards). Plus I had speaker wires running everywhere, and my pedalboard under foot and in the way when not needed. My conclusion was that his setup is exactly suited to his needs, but isn’t ergonomic for me.

As it is, my main controller keyboard is set up so I can get to it by turning my chair about 90 degrees, but there’s very little room when I play the guitar sitting at the workstation when recording. When I move the keyboard further out so that’s easier, I wind up having it too far away when I’m composing on keys.

I have a keyboard stand that was originally designed for my old place, where I had one of my main keyboards on the top surface, and a pull-out drawer for one of my smaller keyboards. My main controller was on a third stand, with rack spaces off to the left, and the setup more or less wrapped around me; however a lot more “moving around” space was designed into the floor plan, and my mixing console was at the other end.

Unfortunately, I’ve learned that to take advantage of the space in a particular room, something designed for a different room isn’t the greatest fit. The problem is that my furniture was built really, really well 20 years ago, and it’s still like new, looks great, etc., and I can’t bear to get rid of it.

Yeah not that I'm a studio guy by any stretch, but that would make me uncomfortable as hell.
I'm a clutz on a good day.

I talked to a friend that runs a studio in Socal,he's taken some stuff over for tim to see and chat and such.
Apparently he's super anal about having the guitars be clean, etc. So I think he's very cautious with them.

After buzzing through that...could do anything I ever needed with the Clubman, Parks, DG or Superbass.

If I had to pick one, be the Matchless.

Back