11s guauge to 10s guage strings

Stevie F

I need to change strings from 11s guage to 10s guage on a custom P22 and a Hollow body II will the nut need to be changed? I guess the pick up height and saddles will need slightly adjusting its just the nut. The 11s with a wound 3rd are far too heavy for vibrato, and pushing for me. Can someone who knows for sure let me know thankyou

If you don't have a trem Im betting you might only need a very small truss rod adjustment and possibly a intonation tweek on the G where you had the wound 3rd

T
If you don't have a trem Im betting you might only need a very small truss rod adjustment and possibly a intonation tweek on the G where you had the wound 3rd
hank you i was concerned about the width of the nut slots

You could also go to 11s with an unwound G. Then you wouldn't have to tweak anything.

You could also go to 11s with an unwound G. Then you wouldn't have to tweak anything.
Thanks but i can live with11s for the EAD, but not the GBEi am used to 9s really, but thats not suitable for this guitar but 11s are to heavy to push even an unwound 11s G. .so is it a nut change job? To fit 10s? Thank you.

Going to a smaller string rarely requires nut work. The other direction is another story since the slots are sometimes too narrow. String it up and try it out! I know certain makes and gauges of strings aren't available in certain areas around the world, but just slap in standard d'Addario or Ernie Ball nickel 10s in there and see. I've played 11-48s on everything for the past several years and changed a few back to 10s with no difficulty. Only tremolo adjustments.

Going to a smaller string rarely requires nut work. The other direction is another story since the slots are sometimes too narrow. String it up and try it out! I know certain makes and gauges of strings aren't available in certain areas around the world, but just slap in standard d'Addario or Ernie Ball nickel 10s in there and see. I've played 11-48s on everything for the past several years and changed a few back to 10s with no difficulty. Only tremolo adjustments.
Hi Boogie thanks for your reply on this yes you are right the last 2 PRS i have bought, i have had to maginally widen the slot, due to binding once done the guitar stays better in tune. I am looking at either a custon P22, or a Hollow body II both come with 11s which GBE are to heavy yes if i buy, i can try and if you say the width of the slot being wider shouldnt be a problem happy days. Have you got, or played and of these models? the hollow body is new built in 2015 and a new p22 bui

Hi Boogie thanks for your reply on this yes you are right the last 2 PRS i have bought, i have had to maginally widen the slot, due to binding once done the guitar stays better in tune. I am looking at either a custon P22, or a Hollow body II both come with 11s which GBE are to heavy yes if i buy, i can try and if you say the width of the slot being wider shouldnt be a problem happy days. Have you got, or played and of these models? the hollow body is new built in 2015 and a new p22 bui
Hi Boogie you sure are spot on i bought the HollowbodyII 10 top today amazing! and just changed the G string as you said to an unwound G String D to a 10s both Ernie Ball which you recomended and it was Spot on no adjusment needed, thank you. it wasnt that bad pushing the strings, not as strong as i was expecting, Sound wise all i can IMHO "well it dosnt get better than this really." Thank you boogie regards Stevie

I've got a Hollowbody II (guitar in my avatar pic) and I went from 11's to 10's without any issues at all. I didn't have to make any adjustments to the guitar. Every guitar is different of course but it was a seamless change.

I've got a Hollowbody II (guitar in my avatar pic) and I went from 11's to 10's without any issues at all. I didn't have to make any adjustments to the guitar. Every guitar is different of course but it was a seamless change.
Hi Thanks stratlanta for your Honest reply i have had issues with the nuts before on Prs guitars being the width of the slots causing binding resulting quick out of tune problems. I would like to know what material it is ? But i only bought this guitar today. Prs are right at the at the top again , and beyond with model I have to say IMO (or i get told off) a beautiful sounding instrument Thank you for your reply very reasuring Stevie.

Hi Boogie you sure are spot on i bought the HollowbodyII 10 top today amazing! and just changed the G string as you said to an unwound G String D to a 10s both Ernie Ball which you recomended and it was Spot on no adjusment needed, thank you. it wasnt that bad pushing the strings, not as strong as i was expecting, Sound wise all i can IMHO "well it dosnt get better than this really." Thank you boogie regards Stevie
I'm glad it worked for you. An HBII is an amazing instrument and is very comfortable, to me, with 11s, but come from the factory with 10s. The same is true with the P22, which is a nice alternative to the HBII if you were looking for a solid body. I don't own either one but have played several fine specimen. Congratulations on your new purchase...be sure to post pics!

I'm glad it worked for you. An HBII is an amazing instrument and is very comfortable, to me, with 11s, but come from the factory with 10s. The same is true with the P22, which is a nice alternative to the HBII if you were looking for a solid body. I don't own either one but have played several fine specimen. Congratulations on your new purchase...be sure to post pics!
hi i cannot get photo bucket for the pics please send me an email address i can then send the picture to post thank a lot Stevie
interesting Thank you

Back