11 Top... right again!

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
And, I was getting ready to ask... in addition to the three I just mentioned, what else should I check out from them?

Finally, I think why VHIII sucks is because Gary wasn't being Gary. It's like he tried to change his style to fit and it just didn't work. I remember being so damned disappointed when that album came out since he is an incredible singer with Extreme.

Now that I've heard him more, I'd probably agree. But it didn't sound like Van Halen either, except for Fire In the Hole, which I really liked. But I remember Eddie making comments, which ticked me off at him at the time, about how nice it was to work with a professional, and how Gary came in to the studio with songs already written. And I'm thinking, "we'll big deal. It doesn't sound like Van Halen and now we now why." But I felt it was a slap at especially Sammy, the way he worded it. I was thinking, When you were with Sammy, you wrote most things while jamming in the studio, or at least developed your ideas there. Some guy bringing in songs may impress you, but it doesn't sound like you anymore.

And honestly, being such a huge VH fan, I sort of resented Gary for that... making VH sound NOT like VH! So, probably also a big reason I never gave his band as much of a chance.

For me, one metric of a really good player is the stuff they leave out as well as the stuff they play, and that’s where Nuno distinguishes himself I think. It’s not all shred-tastic face melting solos all of the time (although he can obviously do it) there’s a lot of taste there too.

Truly one of the guitar greats IMO.

Wow. Late bloomer! I first saw Extreme in 93(?) on the 3 Sides tour. Them and Bon Jovi were doing a double bill. Didn't even bother sticking around for Jovi. Extreme wasn't going to be topped that day. Nuno is an extremely gifted musician. For 3 Sides, he even hummed all of the melodies for the orchestra to the orchestrator. Without his sig guitar, Washburn wouldn't even exist. I know this is a PRS forum, but his Washburn sig is one of the nicest playing guitars of all time.

Nuno can also shred quite handily on acoustic. This song is from Waiting For The Punchline.

Wow. Late bloomer! I first saw Extreme in 93(?) on the 3 Sides tour. Them and Bon Jovi were doing a double bill. Didn't even bother sticking around for Jovi. Extreme wasn't going to be topped that day. Nuno is an extremely gifted musician. For 3 Sides, he even hummed all of the melodies for the orchestra to the orchestrator. Without his sig guitar, Washburn wouldn't even exist. I know this is a PRS forum, but his Washburn sig is one of the nicest playing guitars of all time.

Nuno can also shred quite handily on acoustic. This song is from Waiting For The Punchline.

And one helluva percussionist. I bet he’s a damn good drummer (as many good guitarists are).

Finally, I think why VHIII sucks is because Gary wasn't being Gary. It's like he tried to change his style to fit and it just didn't work. I remember being so damned disappointed when that album came out since he is an incredible singer with Extreme.

I remember thinking that Cherone could be a darned good pick for that spot. I watched about 30 seconds of live video from one of their early concerts and just shook my head... It was terrible. No chemistry, no synergy, no ... anything really. It Just Didn't Work. I was astonished, considering how good both Van Halen and Extreme could be when they were firing on all cylinders.

I remember thinking that Cherone could be a darned good pick for that spot. I watched about 30 seconds of live video from one of their early concerts and just shook my head... It was terrible. No chemistry, no synergy, no ... anything really. It Just Didn't Work. I was astonished, considering how good both Van Halen and Extreme could be when they were firing on all cylinders.

Cringe worthy is how I describe it. I don't think it helped that Eddie had also just run out of gas as a songwriter. There wasn't a lot to work with on that album, musically. I believe there was actually another finished follow up album that the record company outright rejected.

Extreme is one of my all-time favorite bands. I personally believe that releasing the ballet "More Than Words" was disastrous for the band's image. The first two albums are very good. You can hear the band and Nuno maturing, but "III Sides to Every Story" is a rock masterpiece. The song "Rest in Piece" blends Hendrix riffs with Beatlesque harmonies with some kick ass heavy rock. The song "Cupid's Dead" is a case study in funk metal. There is an incredible amount syncopated playing in that song where Pat Badger is locked in with Nuno. Pat Badger is one of the best unknown bassists.

Last edited:
+1. Killer player who doesn’t seem to get his due.

You and I have always agreed on Extreme. Most people over the age of 50 write the band off because of the MTV Video for "More Than Words." That song is not remotely representative of their work.

Last edited:
Extreme is one of my all-time favorite bands. I personally believe that releasing the ballet "More Than Words" was disastrous for the band's image. The first two albums are very good. You can hear the band and Nuno maturing, but "III Sides to Every Story" is a rock masterpiece. The song "Rest in Piece" blends Hendrix riffs with Beatlesque harmonies with some kick ass heavy rock. The song "Cupid's Dead" is a case study in funk metal. There is an incredible amount syncopated playing in that song where Pat Badger is locked in with Nuno. Pat Badger is one of the best unknown bassists.
I read an article the other day that it was Sebastian Bach that made the push to the label to release M T W. Nuno's sister knew it was going to be a huge hit from day 1, and she hated his music. Bach went absolutely nuts in the studio over it. Going so far as to claim he wanted to manage Extreme from that day forward. I've heard of Nuno on several occasions as a solo artist, i never put him with Extreme. Shows how much I pay attention anymore.

I dated Nuno’s niece for about a year. I never met him, but she told me he’s kind of a dick. :D I still like his playing though.

Have any of you listened to Nuno on Guitars That Rule the World vol 1, doing Bumble Bee (crash landing) on acoustic? I have always been a fan of the shredders (guitar aerobics) is what I call it. Love him or hate him ya gotta dig Dio with Malmsteen doing Dream On!

Nuno fan club meeting…

Nunofanclub.JPG

Back