$10K Private Stock... Inspiration or Frustration?

I will say PS obviously isn’t for everyone regardless of money. For me it was worth selling a few core guitars, saving some money, applying tax returns to get that one model that I spec’d myself that couldn’t be purchased any other way. I went from rotating thru a few similar models that could accomplish similar things to primarily using just the PS. I couldn’t be happier with the decision.

I've been fortunate to have owned two Private Stock PRS. I still have the Ted SC in my avatar, only because I got a very generous deal from JD/Guitar Maverick. I paid much more for #935 several years ago, and I was able to sell it (regrettably) for pretty much what I paid less taxes (before the bubble burst).

They're wonderful instruments, and I've never designed/ordered one myself. #935 I first saw at the Dallas Guitar show, and sold 4-5 guitars to buy it. JD had #5110 as some of the stored NOS Brazilian stock, and had it for two, maybe more, years. I couldn't believe no one bought it in that time.

All that said, I couldn't afford #935 today, and couldn't afford #5110 without JD.

Most of what I see coming out of the PS shop today is glorious, but so far out of my reach I seriously doubt I'll ever own another.

I've spec'ed out PS before, back when the minimum seemed to be around $7K. They're double that now, and I just can't play at that table.

#935 was more 'blingy' than #5110 (but #5110 has the last of the mammoth ivory birds). I can't imagine what #935 would cost new today.

And yes, #935 is among my sellers remorse guitars... that and a Studio 22 Standard (pic just for giggles), tried and failed to buy that one back.

PSHBfrontangle.JPG

PSHBheel.JPG

32116949_10212317237791019_1222006195296927744_n.jpg

32084765_10212317239031050_7127349243886436352_n.jpg

32089551_10212317237591014_8908152232243888128_n.jpg

Studio Standard 22 with birds - never seen another like it.

StudioBody2.JPG

I will say PS obviously isn’t for everyone regardless of money. For me it was worth selling a few core guitars, saving some money, applying tax returns to get that one model that I spec’d myself that couldn’t be purchased any other way. I went from rotating thru a few similar models that could accomplish similar things to primarily using just the PS. I couldn’t be happier with the decision.

I wouldn’t be opposed to spec-ing. I know there are special runs of those, but I would spec a really light custom 22 with 58/15 pickups, a Stoptail, McCarty switching, satin neck, pattern thin neck in Faded blue smoke burst with clear back and scraped body binding.

Steve,

Gotta agree with you here. It's the quality of materials and time invested in manual labor-intensive work on a PS that makes the difference in price. Production guitars may have similar materials, but not the time spent and manual labor put into the build of a PS.

But does the extra quality of materials and time investment equal a better sounding instrument? It appears that this, like beauty, is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. The answer is probably ‘sometimes’.

Sometimes I can hear the difference between a SE and a core, sometimes I can’t. Same for Wood Library and PS. For me, the difference, if there, is felt vs heard. Whether the ‘feels’ is worth 15k is up to the player.

But does the extra quality of materials and time investment equal a better sounding instrument? It appears that this, like beauty, is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. The answer is probably ‘sometimes’.

Sometimes I can hear the difference between a SE and a core, sometimes I can’t. Same for Wood Library and PS. For me, the difference, if there, is felt vs heard. Whether the ‘feels’ is worth 15k is up to the player.
I think this is the heart of the original question. Some people will be inspired by bringing something they conceived to life - and their mind will allow the to believe it feels and sounds better even if that subjective better isn’t apparent to anyone else.

That possibility inspired me to work a bit more so that I could give it a try.

Stunning showcase of the Graveyard 2 by Pete Honare. Don't watch if you are a 'jealous' person or irritated by the fact you cannot afford or justify spending the £10k (yes £10k UK price tag - nearly $13k in current exchange rates) to acquire such a stunning instrument and 1 of only 60 in the world!

But does the extra quality of materials and time investment equal a better sounding instrument?

‘Better’ is awfully subjective. My four sound different from the many Core PRSes I’ve had (and my 594s are also Core).

What’s the source of the difference? Well, for one, the three electrics have Madagascar RW fretboards - based on my three, yes, there’s a characteristic MRW tone that sounds different from BRW and different from IRW.

For another, there are design differences between my McCarty Singlecut and other SC models, as well as the thickness of the body; the PS20 is like nothing PRS makes currently; but even the CU24 30th PS sounds different from other CU24s I’ve had. PS20 has the locking Gen III tremolo, and I’ll tell you what, that really is a great bridge. You can hear that the guitar stays in tune for a lot longer than other bridges, and since staying in tune’s a pretty basic thing, it matters.

I’m one of those nutcases that believes that nitro sounds a bit different from poly finishes. Then you get to the select grades of wood...the tone of these (and the sustain is also remarkable) is off the charts, though maybe I got lucky (but I don’t think so).

My PS Tonare acoustic is different in too many ways from my previous Artist Tonare Grand acoustic to compare them (maple body and neck vs cocobolo).

But I also think how a guitar is made results in subtle tone differences. Are these differences, taken together, something that everyone will immediately hear? I have no idea. I hear them. I figure since it’s my dough, that’s all that matters. ;)

Some in life are just more fortunate than others regardless of why. Some sit at the $5 tables in Vegas while some are at the $100 minimum bet. Years of hard work and smart money management, education level, personal motivation level, whatever reason, some can afford things that others can't. Now, what's the point? If you want what you perceive to be the best or finest of anything it's you own business. And always costs more than the run of the mill products. I can't blame Rolex, PRS, Ferrari or any of the highest end companies if I like but can't afford what they make. I am glad they do though so it's available if I'd like to partake. In my opinion, PRS Private Stock is up there w the best of the best in the industry. There are core PRS' that may rival the sounds and tone of a PS. However if I like Braz or Coco or one piece unique tops, or custom inlay work and Perni or Braz necks I expect to pay more even though it may not sound or feel better than a core. Do I feel badly that I can't justify comfortably affording a 500K Ford Gt. Not a bit, even though it's one of my passions and one of my favorite vehicles. Some things just don't make sense and it's alright to just enjoy and admire their existence.

Companies like PRS probably make most of their profit from mass scale lines rather than PS. The sales volume for PS is too small to be a meaningful driver for the profit minded.

They probably charge what the market is willing to pay for to sustain a meaningful minimum production capacity, and then use that extra cash for securing the best materials and builders to make a flagship show product that will boost the brand and capability of the company. As in, PS are not only the best guitars they can make, PS guitars are their salesmen and their R&D ‘frontier’ Columbus.

I suspect it’s also the same with dealers. I doubt a dealer can make much on PS guitars due to the small numbers. They still order them in though, as flagship models that can boost overall sales.

‘Better’ is awfully subjective.

Exactly. So is the $15k guitar automatically unequivocally ‘better’? It depends. On the listener. And whether it’s ‘better’ to them for whatever reason.

It’s just like cars. I drive a fancy car. I didn’t buy it because it cost $XYZ but because, for several reasons, I feel that it’s a better car than this other specific car or that other specific car. Whether someone else thinks my car is ‘better’ does not matter to me. My money so only my opinion counts, lol.

I actually like that there are WL and PS guitars out there. If someone can’t justify the price tag, they can still get a killer guitar among the regular production PRS, all the way from SE to Core. Yet we all get to see and admire the PS from people who do get them and post pictures and talk about them here or in other forums. It’s a win win for me.

Exactly. So is the $15k guitar automatically unequivocally ‘better’? It depends. On the listener. And whether it’s ‘better’ to them for whatever reason.

It’s just like cars. I drive a fancy car. I didn’t buy it because it cost $XYZ but because, for several reasons, I feel that it’s a better car than this other specific car or that other specific car. Whether someone else thinks my car is ‘better’ does not matter to me. My money so only my opinion counts, lol.

I agree. The only ‘better’ that counts is whether something’s a better fit for the person making the choice.

I pick guitars to impress only myself.

Back