$10K Private Stock... Inspiration or Frustration?

Here's the cold, hard, truth, and you probably won't like hearing it ...

Private Stock guitars are measurably better in every conceivable way, and absolutely make everyone who can afford one a much better player, instantly. Life's just not fair that way sometimes. :(

OK ... not really. :)

While you're being tongue-in-cheek, I also was of the same school some years ago. Mind if I share a personal story with you?

My thought was that a PS would add talent (yep, rookie mistake # 1), improve my image with better players (rookie mistake # 2) and would be the last guitar I'd ever buy.

4 PS later, reality set in and I realized that I was growing older, and wouldn't likely be gigging forever. My finances weren't in the best shape, and my life of luxury was sending me to the poorhouse.

While these might have been a nest egg, they certainly were gestating for quite some time without any hopes of hatching. What happened? They were allowed to leave the nest where they could find a new home. They did pay off my bills, but my days of buying luxury items are no longer possible.

I'm not poor myself compared to some, but think of folks who struggle to live paycheck to paycheck, and at the end of the month either need to choose between food and medical bills. While I'm not that selfish, I usually find it necessary to be frugal regards spending. When I have enough to share with others, that's what happens. When I don't, I try to save so that I'm never in want or need of my life's necessities (shelter, heat, food, phone, ISP, clothing) and work a job that helps pay for this. While I'm not indigent, I do remember that there are people far worse off than many of us.

Perhaps that what we should try to remember, we'll always have poor people in this world, so perhaps when you see people reaching out to you for help, it's wise to offer it. You need not give them money, but sometimes their problem is they're suffering and need our care.

Perhaps its sobering, but if one really looks at their life and thinks, "I'm healthy, but not wealthy or famous. I don't need to be wealthy or famous to enjoy my life, but I can't say that I've never wished for a better life. There are some things IMO more valuable than being wealthy or famous, things that money can't buy. Eventually, someday I'll be the man who is suffering in old age and will need care. In adult incontinent pants, drinking Boost through a straw and trying to keep my hair and teeth.

Unless a miracle occurs, I think we're all eventually heading for the old folks home and sitting on the front porch playing pinochle and telling hearing aid jokes. OK, at least I can laugh about it until then...

Ok so I suppose I'm that person at the mo.!!! I've been absolutely gagging for a Ps since 2015 so 3yrs ago I thought sod it I'm gonna go for it.
Cars arn't my thing. The most i've spent on a jam jar is 3,grand. Had a season tkt at my fav football team that cost £1300 a yr. gave that up for funds
BTW Kroenke out lol ( still get some If I want). Not bothered about top of the range tv systems. Don't need a holiday by the seaside. ( I live by the seaside) But If I do want something badly enough If there's a chance I'll go for It. I work in construction( I was born with a plastic spoon not a silver one. (Cue the one liners) I work hard and save. As Mozzi said here In the UK the exchange rate is not good and will probably get worse.
So I took a leap and jumped before I felt pushed. I fully understand the pros and cons but It's my dream and I'm going for It.!!!
Blink and 5 yrs have gone. Can't be having the what If. And btw I'm looking at north of £ 10 grand on my build and I ain't gonna stop the world spinning so I'm going for It. Yelp.!!!

I said that same "never" word a long time ago. You never know what might happen. I'm not a wealthy individual. I live a slightly above average American life. Plenty of bills, debt, etc. I wanted something I couldn't get outside of PS for a specific sound. So some things opened up and I found a way. Was it my best financial decision? Not by far. But it may have been one of my greatest decisions in being happy. Sounds weird and I hate to put that much importance on "objects", but that one guitar has brought me more happiness and inspiration than I could have guessed. Never say never except when you say, you never know.

Hello! New to the forum. I play an SE Custom 24 30th Anniversary which I love. I’ve been in the market for a higher end PRS and late last year I saw the Graveyard II and nearly fell off my chair. I looked it up and was crushed to see it was $10,000. Now look, I’ve got a job, but 10 Grand will never happen for me. Never. $2K-$3K sure. I could even do $5,000 if I sweet-talk my wife. But not $10,000. (Forget that there’s only 60 made.) I was no longer thrilled at the look of the guitar, I was depressed knowing I’d never own it. And a little angry to be honest. It just felt like a big tease - “Look at this great guitar you’ll never be able to buy!” Why do that?

So what’s your opinion? When PRS puts out any guitar at that price point does it motivate you or irritate you?
Not in that tax bracket......

I said that same "never" word a long time ago. You never know what might happen. I'm not a wealthy individual. I live a slightly above average American life. Plenty of bills, debt, etc. I wanted something I couldn't get outside of PS for a specific sound. So some things opened up and I found a way. Was it my best financial decision? Not by far. But it may have been one of my greatest decisions in being happy. Sounds weird and I hate to put that much importance on "objects", but that one guitar has brought me more happiness and inspiration than I could have guessed. Never say never except when you say, you never know.

I wouldn't say 'never' but its incredibly unlikely that I will ever own my own (as in my own specced PS) or even a PRS designed Private Stock (like the Graveyard II). At best, I may find a used PS PRS that offers something I don't have in a colour scheme I want - I will NEVER buy a Blue guitar regardless - and I include the Dragons which I have lusted after ever since the first one.

Unless I get incredibly lucky and get a massive windfall, the chances of me owning a brand new Private Stock guitar are zero. I am not irritated by that and consider myself incredibly lucky to have been in a position to purchase a 'Core' PRS - let alone buy 4 brand new core PRS guitars that I have now. I am not a 'professional' musician, not a 'youtuber' player either - certainly not a 'great' guitarist either but someone who plays for my own enjoyment. I have done the 'band' thing before my Son was born and barely played after. Now he is an adult and I am now single, I have the opportunity to indulge on owning guitars I have wanted for years. I have had to wait many, many years to buy the models I wanted. I have NEVER been irritated that I couldn't buy a Core, when even buying an SE wasn't an option for most of my guitar playing life (having a family, not playing in a band etc does make it difficult to justify a decent guitar purchase) which also shows circumstances can change - just may take many years for some...

Pound for pound, a PS is not a better sounding or playing guitar than a core model. If they were, endorsees and others would probably have them on stage. With a PS, you are paying for the art of highly figured wood, inlays and amazing finishes. If that inspires you and it comfortably fits in your budget they are worth considering. I have 2 of them they bring me a lot of joy to play and look at. I treat them as rewards for myself when I'm earning good money and working hard. I'll open up a 0% intro credit card to order a PS, then pay it off before the into APR is over. Works out to about $500 a month for 15 months. I also don't choose to spend money on fancy cars. I drive a 2012 Ford fusion that is paid off. I see guys driving Tesla's and I'm like, "I could get 10 PS's for that!"

Pound for pound, a PS is not a better sounding or playing guitar than a core model.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. PRS has its most talented people working in PS. Sure, with a PS you’re paying big bucks to get the fanciest materials, but you’re also getting the most skillful people building them with more time invested. Do you believe that GM has higher skilled people working on Corvettes than Malibus? But even the materials make a difference. I personally prefer a BRW neck over core grade mahogany (which is admittedly excellent).

However, I think I understand where you are coming from, because I believe no company builds better instruments from the top of the line to the bottom than PRS.

It’s an interesting topic, but my answer is arguably unisteresting. I’m indifferent to them. Don’t get me wrong, some of them a absolutely stunning, but I don’t feel any desire to go beyond a core model. To be honest, I avoid even the premium price of a 10-top. I feel like the quality, feel and tone of the core models rivals the quality of other companies’ custom shops. However, there is also the poster guitars. The ones where a manufacturer displays their people’s talent and attention to detail and trying to make the most beautiful guitars they can. If you buy one and actually play it either in a Studio, practice or gigging setting, that’s awesome. If you hang it on the wall for display, it’s your money, all the power to you and I bet you can’t get a Picasso for the price of a PS. I mean, you could also go all out and get a Montoleone guitar. To me, those guitars neither annoy me or inspire me. To think of it, I actually like that they have the PS because it is where they try new things. Maybe some innovation might transfer to the regular production models. But I wouldn’t say they inspire me. They’re just fun to look at.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. PRS has its most talented people working in PS. Sure, with a PS you’re paying big bucks to get the fanciest materials, but you’re also getting the most skillful people building them with more time invested. Do you believe that GM has higher skilled people working on Corvettes than Malibus? But even the materials make a difference. I personally prefer a BRW neck over core grade mahogany (which is admittedly excellent).

However, I think I understand where you are coming from, because I believe no company builds better instruments from the top of the line to the bottom than PRS.

Steve,

Gotta agree with you here. It's the quality of materials and time invested in manual labor-intensive work on a PS that makes the difference in price. Production guitars may have similar materials, but not the time spent and manual labor put into the build of a PS.

Excellent point, and while it wasn't my view way back when when I started buying more guitars, it's the point of view I've come to hold - it's not the guitar that I'm buying. I'm buying the time and happiness I'll get playing it. The specs of the guitar play an important part of that, but at the end of the day, what I think about when I look at my guitars is not the physical guitar, it's the happiness they give me.

I thought about building a custom guitar for a long time. My ideas went through a ton of iterations. It was never a realistic possibility until the last 20 years or so. Even after I started playing PRS, it was another 10 years before I felt I knew enough about them to know what to order. And I ended up with a guitar that fits my needs wonderfully. And I still get a charge every time I pull that particular guitar out to play it. I don't know, maybe it's a function of getting older, but I've started to see the purchase of these things in a more holistic way. I'm not buying wood and metal, I'm buying pleasure.

Private Stoccs have a bit more mojo. Core guitars are still amazing but you're getting that extra bit of "mojo" with a PS. Kind of hard to put into words. The nitro finish definitely makes a huge difference as well as using more select tone woods. As for being too afraid to take it out of the case, they are musical instruments. They are meant to be played.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement :) As for sound, the same pickups are used in PS and core models so there is no magic there. If you are saying the wood selections are more resonant, I could buy that, but that doesn't justify the increased cost in my mind.

As for playability, PRS would have a big problem if their core models couldn't be set up to play like a dream. If you are saying that the higher skilled luthiers in the PS department are shipping out of the factory with better playability, I could buy that too. But I think the higher skilled luthiers are finishing the guitars in a way that is visually flawless, which increases the cost. I would guess that the bodies and necks are all cut on the same CNC machines. It's the finish work that makes the difference.

The PS value for me is visual and I like having access to any wood combo I want. If others experience a tonal or playability improvement too, that is great. It just wasn't my experience.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement :) As for sound, the same pickups are used in PS and core models so there is no magic there. If you are saying the wood selections are more resonant, I could buy that, but that doesn't justify the increased cost in my mind.

As for playability, PRS would have a big problem if their core models couldn't be set up to play like a dream. If you are saying that the higher skilled luthiers in the PS department are shipping out of the factory with better playability, I could buy that too. But I think the higher skilled luthiers are finishing the guitars in a way that is visually flawless, which increases the cost. I would guess that the bodies and necks are all cut on the same CNC machines. It's the finish work that makes the difference.

The PS value for me is visual and I like having access to any wood combo I want. If others experience a tonal or playability improvement too, that is great. It just wasn't my experience.

I may have misinterpreted. If you were saying the increased cost doesn’t justify purchasing a PS for its sound or playability, that’s subjective and I can’t argue. On the other hand, if you were saying PS doesn’t make a better sounding or playing guitar, I disagree for reasons already stated; better craftsman, better materials, and more attention to details.

I thought PS used the same hardware as core - same bridge, same PU's, same tuners, same electronics etc. I thought you are paying for 1 off builds made to your specifications using any wood combinations you wanted, having whatever inlays you want - essentially paying for PRS to make you a PRS guitar that is unique or in the case of their own Private Stock runs, limited editions. Granted that you get the option of the 'best' figured maple in the factory or have a guitar made of whatever unique woods you want but I can't see how they can be better built. Better sounding is subjective and may depend on the selection of woods, better playing is subjective too - if its built to your specs, then it should be better compared to a guitar built to 'general' spec but the Graveyard 2 for example should feel like the core 594 as its built to the same spec. It may sound slightly different because of the maple neck but it uses the same electronics, frets, tuners, PU's etc as the core 594. You are paying for its exclusive look, its expertly crafted fretboard and headstock veneer, paying for the case it comes in etc.

I am not saying they aren't expertly crafted but then core guitars are too. The big difference is that you can actually pick your own woods, your colour scheme, your inlays, your PU's etc and have a guitar made specifically for you as opposed to buying a guitar that is 'stock' and built to a uniform spec. I can't see the core Hollowbody 594 being radically different from Private Stock versions that were made last year. Ok so you won't get quilted maple and glow bursts - just regular flame maple and the regular colours. You won't get an eagle on the headstock either and the case will be standard black too...

I could be wrong and I would love to be corrected as I don't own a Private Stock myself but from looking in, the specs, the set-up, the electronics etc are all the same, the same shapes too with the only difference being artistic or wood variety - unless its a custom build for someone where you can get a 24 fret hollowbody 594 if you are willing to pay for it.

I could be wrong and I would love to be corrected as I don't own a Private Stock myself but from looking in, the specs, the set-up, the electronics etc are all the same, the same shapes too with the only difference being artistic or wood variety - unless its a custom build for someone where you can get a 24 fret hollowbody 594 if you are willing to pay for it.

They can be the same, but they don’t have to be. The electronics on mine are, as far as I know, unique. The position of the knobs is also somewhat unique (thanks to me being a tad dense on vault day, and Brian, Paul Miles and team going above and beyond to get the controls I wanted), and they work much better for me than I could have designed. I may have been able to wire a guitar like this, but not with the physical positions I ended up with. I’m not sure the pickups are available the way I have them, but I can’t swear to that.

There is something special about a PS. I can’t quantify it, but it’s there.

Back