10-top with growth rings

veltro_205

Hi guys,

what do you think about complete growth rings on a top?
dsc_0145_2_44.jpg

(photo take on the web)

I don't understand if they are sign of quality of the top or not.

I see them also in a 10-top, could be?

Thanks,

Veltro

If you look at the high level PRS like as "Private stock" series... they don't have growth rings... this is my doubt about them :)

I have growth rings showing on a couple of my guitars - although on one they don't show up well on Photo's. The other however is very clear...

MNZdo85.jpg

and this isn't a 10-top and neither are any of my PRS. I think this is my most interesting top though....

I have growth rings showing on a couple of my guitars - although on one they don't show up well on Photo's. The other however is very clear...

MNZdo85.jpg

and this isn't a 10-top and neither are any of my PRS. I think this is my most interesting top though....
That isfreakin beautiful!!!

Rings are gorgeous. Besides, if you like it, who cares about others?

It's no a matter if I like it or not, I'd like to understand if the growth signs are a distinctive mark of high-quality, low-quality or "it's the same".

It's no a matter if I like it or not, I'd like to understand if the growth signs are a distinctive mark of high-quality, low-quality or "it's the same".
Oh, then:

It's the same quality wood (understand that all wood is different to some degree or another). Just featuring a different aspect of the wood's character.

It depends on what metric you're using to define quality.

The appearance of the rings is dependent on how the board used for the tops was cut. A quarter sawn piece will show, depending on the size of the tree and board, straighter lines.

A rift sawn piece is likely to be the same in appearance as quarter sawn.

It's when you plain saw a log that gets boards with parts of the whole rings visible because you're cutting across the top of the arc of the ring.

If it was bookmatched better, it would be very cool....

Bookmatching growth rings becomes difficult the more the top is carved unless the center of the ring is aligned with the center-seam of the top. Even then, you might not get a good match since tree trunks aren't always circular.

But it would be cool and Mozzi's SSH is close. Not to mention beautiful.

Simply put, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It’s the purest form of subjectivity. But I’ve personally never considered rings or mineral lines to be a ‘sign’ of one thing or another. If it enhanced the aesthetics to you, it’s an asset. For example, for me, boat wake patterns with slight quilting don’t do it for me...would never buy one. Chevron flame is completely different, and like it quite a bit and would pay a premium over the former boat wake. But is is a higher level of quality? Do you mean visual aesthetic quality or tonal quality? On the former, no, the latter, has nothing to do with visual qualities.

I like that top Veltro 205.
For variety sake, mine is a 10-top. Its far from a perfect book match and the growth rings are hard to see in some lighting and they are all over the place, but that's why I dig it because of the randomness of it.
As others have said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

45264427345_3c5de4c0fa_h.jpg

33903324898_d26e2233ce_h.jpg

Last edited:
Back