10-top with growth rings

It's no a matter if I like it or not, I'd like to understand if the growth signs are a distinctive mark of high-quality, low-quality or "it's the same".

Look at it this way. I've been hanging out on various PRS forums since 2001. I don't remember anybody saying ever "that is trash because can see growth rings."

That's a nice guitar. If you like it, don't sweat it.

It's no a matter if I like it or not, I'd like to understand if the growth signs are a distinctive mark of high-quality, low-quality or "it's the same".

It has absolutely nothing to do with a mark of quality - high or low. Its no different from seeing the wood grain on the mahogany - it's just part of the characteristic of the natural wood. Flame and Quilt is not 'normal' and is caused by stress during the trees growth but it looks great. Whether you like to see the natural rings or not is no different to whether you like a certain colour or not - its an aesthetic quality.

Personally, I think it adds something 'extra' to the character of the top aesthetically and in general, I prefer to see the grain as well as the flame because it adds something else to the look of the top. Whether you feel the same or not is down to your preference but it doesn't affect the quality at all. I think without the grain, the top on my SSH wouldn't be as interesting at all and be much more like many other Charcoal Cherry Burst Flame Maple topped PRS guitars - not that they look bad at all. The grain was a BIG reason I bought this particular SSH.

It is purely an aesthetic choice - if you prefer not to see the natural wood grain at all, then buy one of the many that is difficult, if not impossible to see the grain with the stain but its like me not buying Blue guitars because I don't like 'blue' - it doesn't affect the quality its just an aesthetic. Based on the feedback I have had on my SSH, I would say that many people see it as a positive but like I said, its just an aesthetic preference...

Last edited:
Thanks very much to all of you.

Only for clarity, the image I posted is only an example (and it isn't 10-Top), I choose these photo because is didactical for my question :)

If it was bookmatched better, it would be very cool....

What folks don’t understand about bookmatching is that when the wood is split, it’s split the way bread is sliced, and the two pieces open like a book. Because each side is the wood at a slightly different depth, also because the opening of the “book” causes the grain to be going at different angles, the way the grain catches the light means that the different angles make it appear to not match sometimes, even when it’s perfectly matched.

If you go to the factory at PRS or anywhere they do this, and see how the perfectly matched, freshly cut, split wood looks, you’d understand it better.

As for the OP, some people like the growth rings, some don’t. It’s true that you rarely see them on a Private Stock, but that’s more about what’s popular with picky people when they choose tops there, than whether they’re something cool or not.

I’d guess that they’re less popular than tops that appear to be more uniform. But you should get what you like, since it has nothing whatsoever to do with how the guitar plays or sounds, and since it’s going to be YOUR guitar, not someone else’s.

What folks don’t understand about bookmatching is that when the wood is split, it’s split the way bread is sliced, and the two pieces open like a book. Because each side is the wood at a slightly different depth, also because the opening of the “book” causes the grain to be going at different angles, the way the grain catches the light means that the different angles make it appear to not match sometimes, even when it’s perfectly matched.

If you go to the factory at PRS or anywhere they do this, and see how the perfectly matched, freshly cut, split wood looks, you’d understand it better.

As for the OP, some people like the growth rings, some don’t. It’s true that you rarely see them on a Private Stock, but that’s more about what’s popular with picky people when they choose tops there, than whether they’re something cool or not.

I’d guess that they’re less popular than tops that appear to be more uniform. But you should get what you like, since it has nothing whatsoever to do with how the guitar plays or sounds, and since it’s going to be YOUR guitar, not someone else’s.
I fully understand how it works. I just don't care for the look of bookmatched guitars that look like the two sides are completely different pieces of wood. To me, "bookmatched" should look like the description of the word...

I like that top Veltro 205.
For variety sake, mine is a 10-top. Its far from a perfect book match and the growth rings are hard to see in some lighting and they are all over the place, but that's why I dig it because of the randomness of it.
As others have said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

45264427345_3c5de4c0fa_h.jpg

33903324898_d26e2233ce_h.jpg

Actually, you’re wrong about one thing: Yours IS a perfect book match.

Imagine taking a loaf of bread and slicing off a piece, and then slicing that piece into two pieces, Open the slices like a book, and you’ll see that the bread is not identical on both sides of the “book”.

That’s because of two things:

1. The bread on each side is from a different depth of the loaf. The little bubbles that create the holes in the dough are different on each side, right? That us why there isn’t complete uniformity.

2. On wood, once you slice the piece, and open it like a book, the grain is then going in opposite directions. This causes each side to reflect the light differently.

3. Stain brings out these differences even more.

4. Quilts have more variation according to depth than flames, because they’re more random in most cases (though not always).

Again, once you understand that this is a matter of SLICING the wood like bread, and NOT sawing a piece of wood in two vertically and trying to match the two pieces of wood, and how these variations come about, you’ll be able to look at book matched wood in the correct way.

So yes, yours is perfectly matched. I can show you a pic of my PS 30th Anniversary guitar that is a quilt and it’s matched the same way. Incidentally, I believe that the guitar below was shown on the PRS website when the model was announced, so they chose something that was quite perfectly done. If you look at the lower bout between the strap button and the toggle switch, you’ll see where even though the area between the pickups seems perfectly aligned, there are areas where it seems not to be aligned, yet we know from the areas that line up that it is indeed perfectly aligned. This is what I’m talking about when I say the two depths don’t always seem to match, even when they are perfectly aligned.

81aB0Cr.jpg

Imagine taking a loaf of bread and slicing off a piece, and then slicing that piece into two pieces, Open the slices like a book, and you’ll see that the bread is not identical on both sides of the “book”.

1. The bread on each side is from a different depth of the loaf. The little bubbles that create the holes in the dough are different on each side, right? That us why there isn’t complete uniformity.

2. On wood, once you slice the piece, and open it like a book, the grain is then going in opposite directions. This causes each side to reflect the light differently.

4. Quilts have more variation according to depth than flames, because they’re more random in most cases (though not always).

Again, once you understand that this is a matter of SLICING the wood like bread, and NOT sawing a piece of wood in two vertically and trying to match the two pieces of wood, and how these variations come about, you’ll be able to look at book matched wood in the correct way.

So yes, yours is perfectly matched. I can show you a pic of my PS 30th Anniversary guitar that is a quilt and it’s matched the same way. Incidentally, I believe that the guitar below was shown on the PRS website when the model was announced, so they chose something that was quite perfectly done. If you look at the lower bout between the strap button and the toggle switch, you’ll see where even though the area between the pickups seems perfectly aligned, there are areas where it seems not to be aligned, yet we know from the areas that line up that it is indeed perfectly aligned. This is what I’m talking about when I say the two depths don’t always seem to match, even when they are perfectly aligned.

81aB0Cr.jpg

This was articulated better than my attempt. And I'll add based on experience bookmatching my own tops for personal builds.

Bookmatching is difficult even with plain wood because you're trying to mirror the pattern on one side to the other after you've taken out the kerf width in the middle. Then you have to sand those marks out which removes more material and affects the grain. And then if you carve it you put more distance between the parts of the board that were originally touching.

For a bookmatch to align well the figuring must be uniform throughout the depth (2" I believe for a PRS top) AND already have one edge (what will be the center seam) square.

If these don't happen, you won't get a "perfect" match and it's amazing that PRS does as well as they do.

81aB0Cr.jpg

Mmm guitars made of bread, I’ll have mine with some dry cured ham, a little Colman’s Mustard!

Maybe one toasted with some thick cut locally made Marmalade, delicious. Now that would be a unique Private Stock!

“Shawn! We need to talk!”;)

81aB0Cr.jpg

Don't forget the variances made from the carve.

81aB0Cr.jpg

Great explanation!

I think it's mostly the way it's sawn. That's a little more flat sawn which wouldn't be ideal for an acoustic instrument but I don't see where it would matter in a solid body electric other than aesthetics. Pretty much the only thing that matters here is whether or not YOU like it :)

Back