1 piece tops: Why do you like them?

What is it about 1 piece tops that floats your boat?

• Because Carlos has one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They should all be opaque anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
AE7-B26-C0-6-CF2-4-C36-9-DE9-138-F258-A31-D4.jpg

One piece tops and either rosewood or maple necks. I’m switching nearly everything to those combinations.

Sticky neck finishes have got to go.

I like a nice looking guitar, and really don't much care whether it has a book matched or one piece top.

If the sum of the parts comes together in a cool way, I'm all for it. I even buy guitars with tops most here wouldn't consider if I like the overall gestalt of the thing. This of course includes the way the guitar sounds and plays.

Guitar Aficionado magazine did a write up and photo shoot of this one:

What on God’s Green earth is that neck made out of? That may be the single most beautiful piece of wood I’ve ever seen! I love variety in my tops, the more irregular the better. I have always gone for sound knowing that PRS doesn’t do ugly.
There is a one man builder in Maryland named John Tsakanikas who makes one piece guitars, out of a single log. They just don’t do it for me.

There is a one man builder in Maryland named John Tsakanikas who makes one piece guitars, out of a single log. They just don’t do it for me.

I really just stumbled across that, after wondering how guitars were made before CNC ...

Heck, if they were all made like one-piece guy, nobody could afford them ! :) Not to mention all the waste wood in carving 1 guitar out a huge slab of wood. I'm sure the result is stunning and beautiful, but after watching that, I can see why guitars are made the way they are ! :rolleyes:

For what I do with the instrument, a well made SE or a even nicer S2 is about all the quality I can handle !

My "ultimate" PRS build would be a Core Mc Carty Hollowbody II, with the routed one piece back, a routed out super flamey 2 piece book matched top. The cool one piece 'hog neck (.. but even there its a costly in terms of material and efficiency, but this is "ultimate") ... $6-7K so we either became Bill Gates or hit the Lotto to pull this off ... :rolleyes:

That John T guys You Tube is in my "For the Love of Guitars" Thread ... One slab of something ! I'm thinking mahogany ... (I can never spell 'hog rite ) ...

I had to go back and look... Its Cherry, stem to stern !

The guy claims this is the first guitar he intends to sell, proceeds going to charity or something. I guess hes not a manufacturer ...

He and his "staff" speak French ! so maybe this isn't the Maryland guy. Hey, I thought only Paul was allowed to make guitars in Maryland !

From his You Tube ':

Specs for this one are: - One piece cherry wood, from headstock to body, no neck joint - Rosewood fingerboard - 24 frets, Dunlop 6105 - Seymour Duncan P90 Phat Cat, 1 volume 1 tone, 3 way switch, all switchcraft electronics - Cherry wood pickup rings and knobs - Bone nut, Schaller bridge and locking tuners - Finish: Tru Oil, 12 coats, satin - Gotoh strap buttons

Absolutely insane, but beautiful ...

Have never owned a 1 piece, unless you count that satin standard. I’m equally opportunity. I’ve never had one present itself at the right time I guess.

What on God’s Green earth is that neck made out of? That may be the single most beautiful piece of wood I’ve ever seen! I love variety in my tops, the more irregular the better. I have always gone for sound knowing that PRS doesn’t do ugly.
Man, that neck!!!!

Back