1 piece tops: What’s the attraction?

I’ve posted in several different threads. These are the glam shots from Brent Moss formerly of TGS Canada. Brent was a master of PS builds until he retired.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Custom 22, one piece curly Koa body, full braz neck and board, 53/10 pickups. This is Koa Sister 1/2. 2/2 was a C24 hardtail I believe.

Absolutely Stunning!!! That being said, I think this would probably be equally as stunning with a book match top but as its a 1 piece body - I assume that the top hasn't been glued on to the back as Maple/Mahogany body guitars are - it makes sense to use just one piece of wood. The Maple binding really compliments the design too and maple PU rings to match the body would, in my opinion, escalate the overall look way beyond stunning.

Seeing guitars like this also makes me detest guitars that cover up the grain - even if its just the back - even more. It seems sacrilege to try and cover up the natural beauty of wood - even more 'plain' grained woods. I also love the fact that the back plate cover matches the body - I really dislike bright and/or garish (to me) back plates and would rather have a plain black plastic cover to some brightly stained maple on a more conservative style back.

I don't know though if this counts as a 1 piece top. If this does count, then surely the S2 Standards (for example) that use just a single slab of Mahogany with no 'top' glued on would also count. Its more a 'top' by default because its just a singular piece of wood where as its less common to see guitars that have a 'top' fitted to the main body to use a 'single' piece of wood.

Not to say that this example isn't one of the nicest looking natural wood guitars I have seen, I don't know that it counts. If the top is a separate piece of Koa that's glued to the back, then of course it counts - at least in my mind.

I guess I'm a traditionalist. One piece tops just look wrong to me...

Absolutely Stunning!!! That being said, I think this would probably be equally as stunning with a book match top but as its a 1 piece body - I assume that the top hasn't been glued on to the back as Maple/Mahogany body guitars are - it makes sense to use just one piece of wood. The Maple binding really compliments the design too and maple PU rings to match the body would, in my opinion, escalate the overall look way beyond stunning.

Seeing guitars like this also makes me detest guitars that cover up the grain - even if its just the back - even more. It seems sacrilege to try and cover up the natural beauty of wood - even more 'plain' grained woods. I also love the fact that the back plate cover matches the body - I really dislike bright and/or garish (to me) back plates and would rather have a plain black plastic cover to some brightly stained maple on a more conservative style back.

I don't know though if this counts as a 1 piece top. If this does count, then surely the S2 Standards (for example) that use just a single slab of Mahogany with no 'top' glued on would also count. Its more a 'top' by default because its just a singular piece of wood where as its less common to see guitars that have a 'top' fitted to the main body to use a 'single' piece of wood.

Not to say that this example isn't one of the nicest looking natural wood guitars I have seen, I don't know that it counts. If the top is a separate piece of Koa that's glued to the back, then of course it counts - at least in my mind.
Nope, doesn’t count -I totally cheated - but figured it was close enough to post in this thread :)

As one of the three original wise men stated earlier, a beautiful guitar is a beautiful guitar. Don’t care about the pieces, just save that Guitar Rez DGT fer me!

As one of the three original wise men stated earlier, a beautiful guitar is a beautiful guitar. Don’t care about the pieces, just save that Guitar Rez DGT fer me!
Jim will work a deal for you if you pick up the phone ;)

There should be a companion thread, “Fancy Wood Tops - What’s The Attraction?”

Folks could get all lathered up about why they love love love fancy wood, while I document having one of my fancy top PS models refinished In some basic color. It would be entertaining for all concerned.

But then I think, “Why would I want to spend the money having a guitar refinished that’s already got a perfectly fine finish?”

And to that I answer to myself, “Because it would be fun. And fun is the one thing that money can’t buy.”

Then I realize, I’d be buying this fun if I had a guitar refinished. So I should really think of something else.

Love my one piece limited run. It is easier to get a smaller block of wood with nice grain all the way through than a larger area one. So you can take that piece, slice it down the middle, lay it side by side and viola....a great book match. But to find that much area with great quality grain is just something that you don't always find. So it makes it more "valuable" I suppose. Though, to be honest, I have seen SICK PRS guitars with both book matched and single piece tops that I would more than salivate over. But here is mine. :D

do5pisn20okzvonesxng.jpg

bi8gkktgwj5repc3nf4a.jpg

pevzdsimp2ggabwzekd2.jpg

I have seen better slabs of wood, but this one is good enough for me :D

Love my one piece limited run. It is easier to get a smaller block of wood with nice grain all the way through than a larger area one. So you can take that piece, slice it down the middle, lay it side by side and viola....a great book match. But to find that much area with great quality grain is just something that you don't always find. So it makes it more "valuable" I suppose. Though, to be honest, I have seen SICK PRS guitars with both book matched and single piece tops that I would more than salivate over. But here is mine. :D

do5pisn20okzvonesxng.jpg

bi8gkktgwj5repc3nf4a.jpg

pevzdsimp2ggabwzekd2.jpg

I like that one, too. Very unusual and cool.

do5pisn20okzvonesxng.jpg

bi8gkktgwj5repc3nf4a.jpg

pevzdsimp2ggabwzekd2.jpg

This is a great top (I always enjoy looking at your pics of it) and think it would look killer in Blue fade :)

Book matching doesn’t always work as they cut down the maple for the slope/contouring.

do5pisn20okzvonesxng.jpg

bi8gkktgwj5repc3nf4a.jpg

pevzdsimp2ggabwzekd2.jpg

Can’t bring myself to call dibs, because I don’t ever want to think of you letting her go. Don’t you dare!

There should be a companion thread, “Fancy Wood Tops - What’s The Attraction?”

I was “attracted” to fancy wood long before guitars. My dad had a “Frank Lloyd Wright” type residence built when I was 4 years-old. He was all about the 3/4” tongue and groove wood paneling that covered most of the walls. He would pick the most figured pieces to place in the most prominent viewing spots. He also built a lot of natural wood tables from fancy figured woods, many of which I still have. He took me to many lumberyards, both local and foreign.

My father was an avid outdoorsman, and he had sporter rifles with stocks he had made from rifle stock blanks. I still own his 30-06 which has a Brazilian rosewood stock he had made and carved. I became interested in trap, skeet, and sporting clays shooting, and I was active in acquiring fancy wood shotgun blanks. I’ve also acquired a number of wood carvings I’ve picked up mostly in the Caribbean (cocobolo, Ziracote, lignum vitae, rosewoods, etc.).

All of this proceeded my interest in fancy wood guitars. So my answer is this: I’m interested in fancy wood period, and guitars became another vehicle for utilizing beautiful wood pieces.

Random examples:

Furniture

Furniture, carvings, rifle stock

Shotgun stocks

Last edited:
I was “attracted” to fancy wood long before guitars. My dad had a “Frank Lloyd Wright” type residence built when I was 4 years-old. He was all about the 3/4” tongue and groove wood paneling that covered most of the walls. He would pick the most figured pieces to place in the most prominent viewing spots. He also built a lot of natural wood tables from fancy figured woods, many of which I still have. He took me to many lumberyards, both local and foreign.

My father was an avid outdoorsman, and he had sporter rifles with stocks he had made from rifle stock blanks. I still own his 30-06 which has a Brazilian rosewood stock he had made and carved. I became interested in trap, skeet, and sporting clays shooting, and I was active in acquiring fancy wood shotgun blanks. I’ve also acquired a number of wood carvings I’ve picked up mostly in the Caribbean (cocobolo, Ziracote, lignum vitae, rosewoods, etc.).

All of this proceeded my interest in fancy wood guitars. So my answer is this: I’m interested in fancy wood period, and guitars became another vehicle for utilizing beautiful wood pieces.

Random examples:

Furniture

Furniture, carvings, rifle stock

Shotgun stocks

Sweet!

My folks liked wood, too. This is a shot of my mother in our living room while I was still at UM, so probably 1971-2. We had mahogany in the family room. I don’t remember what wood was in the dining room, but it had to be something interesting, because I remember it as being super nice stuff. The flooring was herringbone-patterned wood also, a different type in each room. The couch behind my mom in the pic was paisley! I can’t find the one of me and my girlfriend (now wife) in that room. I know it’s here somewhere.

IlxniEN.jpg

My mom turns 95 in a few weeks. She’s kinda pissed that she’s a bit on the elderly side. ;)

Last edited:
Back