1 piece tops: What’s the attraction?

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
A number of guitar enthusiasts seem to get excited about one piece tops. My question to those of you that do is, what is it about one piece tops that floats your boats? I assume it’s because of the rarity compared to two piece. Is that what turns you on or is it something else?

I have several 1 piece tops, and while quite nice, I’ve let it be known in past postings that I prefer the symmetry of a good book match.

So, what say ye I piece topsters?

Last edited:
I understand why the 2 cut pieces are rarely perfectly matched, or if matched then can take the stain differently, but when either or both come off it looks amazing

There is probably scope for being able to develop and automation of the wood cut & alignment process, given the high value of the result to the WL to improve these results ?

Some 1 piece tops are just so beautiful, and not just curly maple, burl too.

I am a voyeur not an owner. I probably contentiously do think gibson get better curly maple stock at normal guitar range, at least in the stock photos I see of new LPs for sale

As stated, eye of the beholder. I'm sure there is also a bit of exclusivity.

I don't really care much for flames or curl either.

Now spalted tops... I do like spalted tops. & aged finishes. I'd rather have an aged solid color finish than a flame/curly top.
But I don't want to pay for it

DSC_00091.jpg

Last edited:
It's more of an aesthetic for me than a rarity issue. The unbroken figure in the wood, often asymmetrical provides a lot of interest to me. I like it if it's at an angle rather than straight up and down even more.

I don't actually have a guitar like this, but when I put together a PS order for myself next year, it's going to be one of aspects the spec will have.

I have two one-piece tops; a DGT in blood orange which I've posted and Ted SC245 quilted in amber.
Symmetry is nice but when I find a "flow" between the wood grain, the way it takes a stain and a visual consistency I'm amazed. Perhaps it's because one of the things that I like about photography is that everything has to happen inside and work with the edges of the frame.

It depends on the pattern for me. I don't necessarily like perfectly even lines across a guitar which you can get easier with a book match as you only need 'half' the amount of wood to create that look. A single piece top has more chance of some 'imperfection'. Book matched 'imperfections' though can add to the look.

I have a one-piece top (and back) on my Hollowbody II

iRJZWZk.jpg

As you can see from the image above, there is a lack of symmetry and even a balance of lines too. The angle of the lines also may throw the balance of this guitar out - not that I personally mind as I think this is still a stunning guitar and I love the top/back on this. It has its own character which I really like.

Book matched tops though can give you some more interesting and more uniform/balanced pattern. Any thick lines will be balanced on the top and bottom half, same with gaps etc too. Book matching can also give some more interesting designs.

vbFJx28.jpg

This Chevron type pattern is only possible because of the book matching. The flatter the top, especially if you don't sand a lot away, the more even the book matching.

These are my favourite 2 tops I have. I personally prefer my Cu24 with the book matched Chevron style top but I like my one piece Maple topped HBii more than my other 2 guitars that both have book matched tops. Some of that is down to the fine wood grain detail that hasn't been picked up by the camera which adds a lot more 'interesting' pattern and the fact that my others are more 'usual' for a non-10top PRS flame maple figuring - the usual horizontal stripes across the guitar - not to say I dislike them but that I prefer these two more.

I think it makes more sense to look at each guitar individually. With my guitars, the 1 piece top beats two out of the 3 book matched flame maple tops in my opinion but another may feel the 1 piece top is more aesthetically pleasing to them - maybe 1 of my other guitars is more to their preferred look. I wouldn't say a 1 piece top was more desirable or 'better'. I would almost certainly prefer a book matched quilt top to a one piece flame maple top - another example of book matching being more desirable to me than a 1 piece - but others may prefer a 1 piece regardless of whether its a flame or quilt book match top

Is that what turns you on or is it something else?

Not that I have (yet) the pleasure of owning anything beyond a veneer top, but, for me, I think, the aesthetic attraction associated with a "whole top" is that of classical sculpture, say, vs. fabrication or assembly. The emphasis or drive of the former perhaps uses human ingenuity and skill to "release" an image from within the medium whilst another uses that ingenuity and skill to compose an image from various parts. Both approaches can produce beauty.

Or, maybe I should just go back into the box with Schrodinger's cat and await my fate? :p

Last edited:

It's because a one piece top looks more like the plywood at the hardware store.

Players convince themselves that every minute bit of change in construction is infinitely important, of course it's all reinforced by Marketing in the advertising and the price you pay, but more tone change happens from where you pick (near the bridge to near the neck) than nearly any other change to a guitar.

See how Bill copies a hundred players and their gear in this one song using one guitar, where he picks and some knobs turning.

Back