08 SE Custom 22 ambient noise issue

FJK

Greetings all,

I joined to see if I can learn more about this issue and find resolution to it. When I amplify my 08 SE Custom there is always ambient noise - buzzing or humming though the amp (a 2 year old Fender Mustang II, that checks out - no issues, even when set to the cleanest settings). When I touch the strings or the saddles the noise stops. The guitar is completely factory. I am using a new D'addario cable with a kill switch replacing the cable which came with this used instrument. The set up, intonation, etc. is good and there are no, bridge,nut or fret issues.

I've just learned that my neighbor has several amps which I will plug into in the near future to see if I can replicate this ambient noise.

Is this a grounding, wiring issue within the guitar?

Thanks for your "feedback". Including, posting, etc., as I am new to how this works

Try it with another cable, other than the one with the kill switch. If you do use your neighbors amps, try them at his house and at your house, to see if something is going on with your house.

Many times, noise like this can be from other electrical equipment in the house, computers, monitors, fluorescent lights, etc.

Have you opened the control cavity to check that all solder joints are still good, as well as the ground wire from the trem claw (assuming you have a trem.)

Also, is the problem the same, day and night, or worse at night? If at night, check your whole house for any lights with dimmers, and turn them completely off - see if that helps.

Good advice
Try it with another cable, other than the one with the kill switch. If you do use your neighbors amps, try them at his house and at your house, to see if something is going on with your house.

Many times, noise like this can be from other electrical equipment in the house, computers, monitors, fluorescent lights, etc.

Thx for the response. I've ruled out the cable thus far. The ceiling light does have fluorescent bulbs. Will try
Have you opened the control cavity to check that all solder joints are still good, as well as the ground wire from the trem claw (assuming you have a trem.)

Also, is the problem the same, day and night, or worse at night? If at night, check your whole house for any lights with dimmers, and turn them completely off - see if that helps.

Thx for your response as well. Still have to check out internals, including the ground wire from the trem claw. Much appreciated.

That is normal operation. The electronic components are an antenna for noise. This is why there is a ground wire connected to the bridge. That means as long as you're touching the string path (i.e. playing) that noise is cancelled out.

Sometimes my guitars buzz more than others, depending on the amp, power source, lights and other electronics in the area, as well as mysterious factors that I have yet to figure out.

You can greatly cut down or eliminate the noise by properly shielding the electronics cavity. Plenty of sources online for how to get that done, but the goal is to completely surround the electronics in non-conductive material to block the interference.

Mobile phones are one of the worst causation factors in my experience! If I have mine anywhere near my guitar/amp when playing, the interference is terrible.

And no @LSchefman it’s not because I spend too much time here!;)

Fluorescent lights are notorious noise inducers.

What you have is normal EMI/RFI that causes pickups to buzz. When you touch the strings, you’re acting as a ground, and the noise is reduced.

I have a similar issue with mine but it doesn't totally go away when you place your hand on the strings. I have a stoptail - are those grounded? Anything to do with the SE electronics being lower quality? Would upgrading to a USA jack help?

Back