'07 SC245 pickups

S2C22

I bought an '07 SC245 with the stock 245 pickups, and I haven't seen many favorable opinions on them on the net, so I figured this would be the best place to find some experiences. Is it a focused, tight pickup? Good clarity? I play higher gain stuff, so lower output is actually welcomed. My EVH Stealth head will turn anything into a blistering monster.

What's the consensus on these pickups? I haven't gotten the guitar yet, but I'm a tinkerer, and already splurged for the PRS adjustable stop tail, (yikes - $200)! I'll probably get some locking tuners too.. Are SD90 Magnum locks a drop-in??

The 245's were the same pickups as in the original Mira but have covers and the Mira's are uncovered. They were PRSH's first attempt (in that decade) for what became the 57/08's. They are a good pickup. It's funny that people loved the edginess of the Mira but didn't have the same energy for the 245's, although they did get good reviews. Try them and see what you think.

As for tuners, go to John Mann's website. He can set you up.
https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.com/contact.htm

I loved the pickups in my SC245. I only prefer the Mira version because they were splittable. Otherwise though, they were great.

I had a pair* when they were moderately new and thought they were a good solid rock guitar pickup. They were actually pretty well thought of around here (OK, maybe that was actually the previous forum...) for the short time they were on the market before the 57/08 pickups came out and sucked all the air out of the room.

(*) My pair came in an '07 Singlecut Hollowbody. They sounded hotter and bassier than I thought that guitar should. I replaced them not because they sounded bad, but because I didn't think they suited the character I wanted that guitar to have.

I had a pair* when they were moderately new and thought they were a good solid rock guitar pickup. They were actually pretty well thought of around here (OK, maybe that was actually the previous forum...) for the short time they were on the market before the 57/08 pickups came out and sucked all the air out of the room.

(*) My pair came in an '07 Singlecut Hollowbody. They sounded hotter and bassier than I thought that guitar should. I replaced them not because they sounded bad, but because I didn't think they suited the character I wanted that guitar to have.

I have an '09 SCHB with the same pickups. Some days I wish they were something else but other days they sound really really good. I haven't replaced them because it's a piezo guitar and supposedly there's a phasing issue with non-piezo PRS pickups and I also don't know what I'd replace them with.

But I did gig that guitar when I'd have to play a 1-hour acoustic set followed by 2 1-hour rock/country sets. It was perfect for that.

I have an '09 SCHB with the same pickups. Some days I wish they were something else but other days they sound really really good. I haven't replaced them because it's a piezo guitar and supposedly there's a phasing issue with non-piezo PRS pickups and I also don't know what I'd replace them with.

But I did gig that guitar when I'd have to play a 1-hour acoustic set followed by 2 1-hour rock/country sets. It was perfect for that.

Yeah, it'd be good for that gig! I replaced my 245s with 53/10s in the SCHB piezo and didn't have any issues.

If you drop them, they can change tonal characteristics really fast. I loved the down and dirty sound.

Back