'07 CU24 or '90 CE24?

sergiodeblanc

A great buddy of mine is contemplating his first PRS and he's torn between the two.

I know what I'd choose, but perhaps some of y'all could chime in so I'm not pushing my own personal agenda and preferences on him. He's into metal and already has a Les Paul Standard, and there's a $300 difference between the two guitars he's lookin' at.

Let's spend somebody else's money today!!!! :rock:

CE:

CU:

Last edited:
We know what you'd choose. The "not blue" one. In fact I think I recall you saying friends don't let friends buy blue guitars. :laugh:

We know what you'd choose. The "not blue" one. In fact I think I recall you saying friends don't let friends buy blue guitars. :laugh:

What!?!?!? I let you guys by blue sh!t all the time! :rolleyes:

They're both black-ish.

CEs are just all-round bargains. I'd love to see a better pic of the top, as $300 *might* sway me if it's an order of magnitude better... but yeah, I'd pocket the cash and go CE...

Also, Customs with moons just don't seem quite right to me.

The CE would probably vary more sonically from the LP he has...the fact that it can be mistaken for blue would be a plus for me too.

CEs are just all-round bargains. I'd love to see a better pic of the top, as $300 *might* sway me if it's an order of magnitude better... but yeah, I'd pocket the cash and go CE...

Also, Customs with moons just don't seem quite right to me.

Word! I added a better pic of the CE.

The CE is a little pricey IMO, but when I figure in the fact that I've spent $300 on groceries at Whole Foods... I suppose it's not that much extra to get what you really want color wise. Besides that, where you gonna find an alder maple-top with wings and a MILCOM anymore? He'd have to be patient, and we all know how hard that is when you've got the FEVER!

I don't think you can go wrong with an alder-bodied CE...I think with the maple bolt-on neck it will also provide more of a contrast to his current LP tone-wise.

That being said, the CE might be too mid-rangey if he plays mostly metal. Not saying you can't do metal on an alder CE, but the hog might suit him better.

Have him buy BOTH, and send you $300 for this survey. Does the math work out on that?

Yeah, actually, that's a really cool top for a CE, so I'd definitely do that.

Sometimes they look 'weedy' (for want of a better term) - that one does not. That one looks more expensive than it is.

Have him buy BOTH, and send you $300 for this survey. Does the math work out on that?

Hmmm.. I think you're on to something there, and he is a father of two twin boys so it'd be pretty unfair to leave a PRS for one and a LP for the other. He might have to just so there's no favoritism in the future (and I could use the $300!).

fever...

rash...

jones...

MONKEY ON MY FREAKING BACK!

..it may be time for a new gitfiddle....

I'm putting you on double-secret probation for using the term "gitfiddle", Bill. You now have to buy two guitars.

Yeah, actually, that's a really cool top for a CE, so I'd definitely do that.

Sometimes they look 'weedy' (for want of a better term) - that one does not. That one looks more expensive than it is.

Yeah, I kinda want it now too.

With only $300 difference between them, you're either getting a deal on the Custom or they want too much for the CE...or Both.

When I hear the words "Alder CE" I'm pretty much sold.

So tough to make a call without playing them. It's a PRS, so either way he'll get a great guitar, but being great and "fitting" can be two different things.

i dig the CE personally.

I assume HFS/VB in both? I would lean towards CE with the alder body just because of the tonal difference from LP.

Hey, ya'll. I'm the fella sergio is plugging. To be honest, I'm surprised by all the comments coming in so quickly. Hell of a forum! I'd already sorta had my mind made up (CE) before I asked. I just wanted some clearer heads weighing in. Buying new gear always makes me indecisive and marginally psychotic.

For what it's worth, it's not all metal for me, but a lot....trying to branch out, y'know?

Hey, ya'll. I'm the fella sergio is plugging. To be honest, I'm surprised by all the comments coming in so quickly. Hell of a forum! I'd already sorta had my mind made up (CE) before I asked. I just wanted some clearer heads weighing in. Buying new gear always makes me indecisive and marginally psychotic.

For what it's worth, it's not all metal for me, but a lot....trying to branch out, y'know?

Welcome!

Congrats on the new CE!

...and you are going to have to work on becoming totally psychotic to fit in here...

Back