'05 McCarty to get full treatment

Kine

Large Member
Hi everyone! It's nice to be here. Been playin for about 25 years now.

I recently found out about the PTC as I was doing research on my new guitar (a stunning DGT 10 top in Natural Tobacco Burst. My 2nd PRS).

So I figured while I'm putting the new guitar through its paces, I would send my old '05 McCarty in for some upgrades :p

I emailed Shawn and decided on:

• Setup
  • New DGT Frets
  • Refinish in Black Gold Wraparound Burst

As you can see, this will be a new guitar once Shawn and his crew get done with it! Needless to say, I'm pumped!

I bought this McCarty used off Ebay around '07 or '08 I think. I don't know much about it unfortunately. I was curious if anyone knows any details of this particular model year?
I definitely appreciate the rich sound and it's been my only electric guitar since I bought it (I've owned Fenders and Ibanez in the past).

I've liked the Tortoise color but always found it a bit bland. The new Black Gold will make the grain show nicely, I hope!
mcc1_zpscdf32602.jpg

mcc2_zpsbae269bd.jpg

As you may be able to see, there looks to be some nice grain under that Tortoise Shell!

Mike

Here's a thread on the new DGT: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?4181-The-search-for-my-new-PRS

Last edited:
I have a similar McRosie but mine is a McCarty Amber Burst and now has 53/10 pickups installed. Which, incidentally, made it my absolute number one!!!

I looked at your DGT thread as well, seems we have very similar guitar taste!!! You know what they say, great minds think alike...

Welcome to the fold here and can't wait to see the results on this guitar...

I have a similar McRosie but mine is a McCarty Amber Burst and now has 53/10 pickups installed. Which, incidentally, made it my absolute number one!!!
Oh boy, I bet that is real niiice! Any pix around? I take it you love the 53/10's!?

I looked at your DGT thread as well, seems we have very similar guitar taste!!! You know what they say, great minds think alike...
I just added a couple new photos to that thread of it in the sunlight...

Welcome to the fold here and can't wait to see the results on this guitar...
Thanks for the warm welcome Sinner! :beer:

Oh boy, I bet that is real niiice! Any pix around? I take it you love the 53/10's!?

53/10 pups are as close to perfect for me as any pickup I've ever played. Especially in the McRosie...it gets me such wide range of tones.

Yep, I will upload a few new pics and post them later today...

53/10 pups are as close to perfect for me as any pickup I've ever played. Especially in the McRosie...it gets me such wide range of tones.
What would you say the main difference is between the McCarty pup and 53/10?

What would you say the main difference is between the McCarty pup and 53/10?

The 53/10's remind me of a PAF style pickup but are not so sparkly. They are dark and bold with clean tones that border on a Hollowbody kinda sound with the split tones more like a P90 or a nice fat Tele. I would say a little more articulate than McCarty pups overall and they handle high gain better to my ears. Much more articulate and sweet on single note stuff. I always felt things got a bit muttled with the McCarty's.

The 53/10's gave my McRosie this thick and creamy lush character that it didn't really have before.

Interesting, I find my tone to be pretty rich already with the McCarty's. What kind of amp are you using? With my Mesa Lonestar with 6l6's the McCarty was definitely on the muddy, dark and mellow side. Currently I'm using a Carr Mercury and I'm loving the tones from the McCarty with that! My new DGT is overpowering the Merc and I'm considering a pup swap at this point.

Last edited:
I play through a PRS Sweet 16 or a 2 Channel H depending on my mood.

That's the beauty thing for me with guitars, there are so many options and variables we can all find our sound and it doesn't have to be the same old same old...

Get the new Lampshade knobs too! I love the feel and they look good with the new finish
my 2012 P22 in black gold wrap round
2012-10-14_19-45-14_685.jpg

2012-10-13_17-45-17_308.jpg

Nice. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Oh, most definitely will! I'm hoping that they'll have the guitar soon... Shipped it about a week ago I think.

Get the new Lampshade knobs too! I love the feel and they look good with the new finish
my 2012 P22 in black gold wrap round
2012-10-14_19-45-14_685.jpg

2012-10-13_17-45-17_308.jpg
Lovely guitar you got there! I talked... well... emailed with Shawn and decided to leave the neck unfinished since I appreciate it that way and to go with the Nitro Satin finish on the guitar body as opposed to the V12. I'm super excited!

I play through a PRS Sweet 16 or a 2 Channel H depending on my mood.
Gotcha, that gives me a good understanding now. I was considering the Sweet 16 at one point but thought it may be a bit loud for my current needs.

That's the beauty thing for me with guitars, there are so many options and variables we can all find our sound and it doesn't have to be the same old same old...
I have to agree. Plus, with pedals added the possibilities really are endless.

Oh, most definitely will! I'm hoping that they'll have the guitar soon... Shipped it about a week ago I think.

Lovely guitar you got there! I talked... well... emailed with Shawn and decided to leave the neck unfinished since I appreciate it that way and to go with the Nitro Satin finish on the guitar body as opposed to the V12. I'm super excited!

the satin neck would be sweet!( or unfinished) I have often considered doing that.

My incoming McCarty is supposed to be Rootbeer, wonder if that's slightly lighter than Tortoise (note my avatar photo)?

I am guessing a full refinish and setup would be quite pricey!?

My incoming McCarty is supposed to be Rootbeer, wonder if that's slightly lighter than Tortoise (note my avatar photo)?
I would say based on your avatar and google, that Rootbeer is lighter in color than Tortoise. Sounds like a great color you got there. Please do post some pix when you get it!

I am guessing a full refinish and setup would be quite pricey!?
Well... ya it's not gonna be cheap that's for sure! However, as with anything PRS, I'm positive that the quality will be outstanding.

I would say based on your avatar and google, that Rootbeer is lighter in color than Tortoise. Sounds like a great color you got there. Please do post some pix when you get it!

Well... ya it's not gonna be cheap that's for sure! However, as with anything PRS, I'm positive that the quality will be outstanding.

Thanks, it should be a killer McCarty, especially if it's NOT like the dark Tortoise posted by the OP! I'll post my NGD pics when I get the guitar later in the week!

Back