★ Modern Eagle MEGA Thread ★

Modern Eagle Quatro, photographed by my friend David Campbell (who's even better at playing guitar than taking pictures!):

2014-01-26-0092_psd.jpg

2014-01-26-0091_psd.jpg

2014-01-26-0069_psd.jpg

This is so beautiful! It looks like my dream guitar! One day…

I’m considering a MEV that has a rosewood neck/board. I haven’t seen too many of these, mostly just the standard mahogany or maple. Can anyone that has one with rosewood comment on how it is/how it differs? Thanks!

The MEV is my favorite PRS model of all time.
I have played and/or owned/own multiple with different neck/FB wood combinations. My observations:
1) The maple/maple neck/FB combination has more high end emphasis on the attack (aKA “snap”) that accentuates the difference between the SC and HB settings. This is the most versatile option for the MEV to get the widest variety of sounds from one guitar. My favorite. Would really love one w piezo…but current PS limitations preclude (please Paul?).
2) The RW/RW combo (EIRW neck, Braz board) has a thicker lower midrange and smoother/longer sustain (aka more “throaty”). Also very nice depending on the sound you’re after, not as much range but excellent “sweet spots” when playing very clean or with heavily overdriven “singing” lead settings. Second favorite.
3) mahogany/RW…somewhere in between but not as unique/ versatile as 1 or 2. Prefer this combo with a hard tail…already covered by Paul’s guitar.

I suspect BRW neck/FB or roasted maple might be even better combos than 1 and 2 above…but haven’t been able to get my hands on one yet…will keep trying and report back.

The MEV is my favorite PRS model of all time.
I have played and/or owned/own multiple with different neck/FB wood combinations. My observations:
1) The maple/maple neck/FB combination has more high end emphasis on the attack (aKA “snap”) that accentuates the difference between the SC and HB settings. This is the most versatile option for the MEV to get the widest variety of sounds from one guitar. My favorite. Would really love one w piezo…but current PS limitations preclude (please Paul?).
2) The RW/RW combo (EIRW neck, Braz board) has a thicker lower midrange and smoother/longer sustain (aka more “throaty”). Also very nice depending on the sound you’re after, not as much range but excellent “sweet spots” when playing very clean or with heavily overdriven “singing” lead settings. Second favorite.
3) mahogany/RW…somewhere in between but not as unique/ versatile as 1 or 2. Prefer this combo with a hard tail…already covered by Paul’s guitar.

I suspect BRW neck/FB or roasted maple might be even better combos than 1 and 2 above…but haven’t been able to get my hands on one yet…will keep trying and report back.
Thanks! That’s really helpful. The one I’m looking at is EIR neck and BRW board, so it sounds like it’s going to be a bit darker.

Have you been able to try a swamp ash body with a maple neck/board? Curious where that falls

Thanks! That’s really helpful. The one I’m looking at is EIR neck and BRW board, so it sounds like it’s going to be a bit darker.

Have you been able to try a swamp ash body with a maple neck/board? Curious where that falls
Good question. Both of my maple/maple MEVs (see earlier post in this thread) have swamp ash bodies. That’s the sweet spot for me on the MEVs I’ve tried so far.

Last edited:
Back