“PRS” on 12th Fret?

Justin Davis

bought a 99’ CE24... actually has an inlay in the 12th fret that says “PRS”. Is there any significance to this? I’ve never seen this before. It’s real and legit. Just not sure about the inlay on the 12th fret.

I know that at least one of the Tremonti models has Mark's name at the 12th fret, but I've never, ever seen or heard of a Paul Reed Smith guitar with the intials "PRS" at the 12th fret. I hope I'm wrong but my gut says it's fake... but maybe someone else can chime in?

I can’t post a photo for some reason. It is signed by Ed Roman in the heel of the neck under the pickup. Has bird inlays. I just bought it off reverb. Hasn’t been shipped yet. Coming from a reliable and well trusted shop. I’m thinking from my research that Ed Roman did this as a Mod. Cause he heel stop is very short on it and I guess this was something he did.

Also has abalone bird inlays. Something I’ve never seen on an older CE24. It’s signed by other techs from PRS and in bold Red permanent marker it says Ed Roman over the top of the other signature.

I can’t post a photo for some reason. It is signed by Ed Roman in the heel of the neck under the pickup. Has bird inlays. I just bought it off reverb. Hasn’t been shipped yet. Coming from a reliable and well trusted shop. I’m thinking from my research that Ed Roman did this as a Mod. Cause he heel stop is very short on it and I guess this was something he did.

Ah, that could be it. He was infamous for modding PRS guitars. He acted like the long heel was the worst thing he'd ever seen. He was even known to re-top guitars as well.

Birds were an option on the CE then. Not common, but certainly not unheard of.

I can’t post a photo for some reason

You need a minimum number of posts. I think it's 10...can't remember for sure. So go make a few "Congrats" or "Nice top" posts and let's see some pics! (Remember...you'll have to use a third party hosting site. For example, I use Imgur.)

You need a minimum number of posts. I think it's 10...can't remember for sure. So go make a few "Congrats" or "Nice top" posts and let's see some pics! (Remember...you'll have to use a third party hosting site. For example, I use Imgur.)

Well I put the photo as my avatar

Af25pzn

1Ze9D2R

8MOrBHw

8MOrBHw

IcNZk0R

Also I can see where the original dots were... very slight but I just noticed upon enlarging the images. The guy has not sent the guitar yet. I may message him. Idk may back out of the sale. Snagged it for $1100 but if it’s actually not legit I’m gonna be furious. I don’t mind the mods. But if something isn’t right then I will be furious. It is coming from a respected seller who has over 150 sales from his shop on reverb with a 100% positive 5 star feedback. But this now has me slightly worried. I have read that Ed Roman did a good job with mods at least. Meaning they weren’t absolute crap. But still if something is off I’m gonna be a little worried.

Looking at your avatar I'd bet money that it came with dots and Ed had birds added.

I think it's a fair price as long as it's clean, the work is good, and you like it.

Looking at your avatar I'd bet money that it came with dots and Ed had birds added.

I think it's a fair price as long as it's clean, the work is good, and you like it.

I messaged the seller and asked for a refund. Honestly I would rather pay $200-$300 more and pick up an 88’ ce24. I’ve just read so many bad things now about Ed Roman. Some guys say that he did a good job with mods but his guitars were horrible. I’m not sure I want something a gremlin has their hands on. Even though the seller said the guitar plays better than any other PRS he has in his “shop”. I’m thinking his shop might be his house. Guitar hasn’t even been shipped yet. And to boot my wife is the one who just realsearched it and is furious at my purchase lol. I should have known better. Ive never seen one with PRS on the 12th fret. Makes me very very nervous now.

Also I never buy something just cause I like it. It has to hold some kind of value in dollars as well. I’m always trading and selling and purchasing new guitars. A lot of times people will not purchase a guitar if it’s been modded. Especially if the guitar was modded by Ed Roman. Honestly never heard of Ed Roman until after I purchased the guitar. It’s more of a joke now that I read over the listing again. The seller Called it a “piece of history”. Suckers me in hook line and sinker I guess. Made the purchase and now that I’ve done more research I’m very upset. If it hasn’t been shipped he should refund me if he has any kind of reputation that he wants to keep flawless.

Ugh, sounds like the seller was someone who bought into Ed's BS.

Yeah hopefully you can get a refund. There are plenty of chances to get a non messed with CE for similar money.

Is the width of the inlay wider than a standard 12th fret bird inlay? If so it could have been routed and installed by an independent party.

Back