“B” Stock: What’s the story?

R9hamilton

I recently purchased a well used ’98 CE 22, maple top, w/vibrato. There’s the letter “B” stamped into to top right of the back of the headstock. I was very interested in this guitar. It played very well, sounded great, was very comfortable and looked great. I was also curious why it was priced around $200 over the top estimated value published in the ‘22 VG Price Guide. Seemed odd for a guitar that was far from lightly used.
Nobody knew but the young sales dude offered to call the GC customer service mgr., who took the guitar in. Apparently, the LA GC vintage people priced it ($

Oops, accidentally sent too soon. Priced it at $1,499.00 because it was “vintage” over 20-years-old, and B stock was rare. Apparently, if a body or neck came off the line and it wasn’t perfect they’d either trash it or put those imperfect parts together and give them or sell them to PRS artists for back up. Can anyone out there elaborate on this? Could the practice and been mentioned during PRS factory tours? Is their rare status justified?

Dunno much about the price guide you referenced, but $1,500 doesn’t seem off the mark for a CE22 today.

Well it would be the same as a manufacturer stamping 2nd on the back of a headstock which some manufacturers do when there is a small non structural blemish. B stock seems less of a negative term I suppose. As far as rarity you would be correct as out of a thousand guitars they may have two or three that don’t pass there qc but are not total losses so I suspect there are designated dealers that from time to time get a batch of B stock guitars to liquidate/sell. Now value I would think like when they were new and discounted would be the same on the used market after all they didn’t make the cut for some reason so when looking at two used guitars side by side I would suspect the guitar that does not have the factory blemish and stamp to prove it would be priced more. In the end a good guitar is a good guitar if you like it and it sounds killer then you got a good one.

I have never heard b-stock as referred to as "rare". Typically they are minor cosmetic blemishes that don't meet QC standards. IMO, B-stock can be great values for new guitars. I don't have any experience with PRS b-stocks or used ones though.

Last edited:
I have never heard b-stock as referred to as "rare". Typically they are minor cosmetic blemishes that don't meet QC standards. IMO, B-stock can be great values for new guitars. I don't have any experience with PRS b-stocks or used ones though.
Bought a B stock Standard 24 in '91 at Chuck Levin's in Maryland. Paul was doing a clinic, playing there with his band. I asked him about the particular guitar I ended up buying and he looked it over and said he couldn't find whatever finish flaw had earned it a B stamp on the headstock, said I got a good deal. I have a number of guitars, all more expensive than that B stock one, and it's been my favorite go-to guitar for over 30 years. Sometimes you get lucky. I love the color on it (midnight pearl blue).

I had an Artist I that was a stamped as a B Stock years ago...

The "scraped binding" was a tad thinned in one ares due to an over zealous top sander. Other than that, the guitar was stunning and cosmetically perfect!

Back